News: Arsenal signs 5 yr deal w/ Carlos Vela

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by MexiGOL, Dec 10, 2009.

1. MexiGOL

MexiGOL New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Club América
    Carlos Vela has signed a contract with Arsenal till 2015. What are your oppinions on Vela and do you see him developing as a starting striker for Arsenal as Wenger hopes he will?

2. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem with Vela, from my perspective, is that he's not a #9. He's a skillful player with a cool head infront of goal, some lovely skills and a turn of pace, but have Arsenal not already got plenty of players like this?

Arshavin is similar, Walcott is certainly similar, Van Persie is a similar player as well. I don't imagine him leading a line, but behind a bigger striker I think he certainly has bags of potential.

3. MexiGOL

MexiGOL New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Club América
    True, Vela is not Drogba nor Tevez, and he doesn't have the frame to beefen up enough to be a big striker. He is not a tall striker either, so I think he'll have to play his strengths of speed and ability to finish. One this is certain is that he must play more consistently and develop more creativity up front. Hopefully he'll develop this in a timely manner and the upcoming WC should give him some experience under pressure.

I think what Wenger is doing is that he's taking dibs on young talent and if they don't develop to his satisfaction he'll get rid of them. He's pitting the strikers against each other to see who performs the best. Smart move if you have the money like Arsenal.

4. Simply

Simply New Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Much prefer him as the LWF, he started central against West Ham in the FA Cup and was largely ineffective. Then we switched Eduardo central and moved Vela out wide to the wing forward position, and he was a totally different player, caused no end of problems to the full back, with just simple bits of trickery and immense short bursts of acceleration.

In the end, he set up the two goals that won us the game, got one hell of a cross on him, shame we don't tend to have the right players in the box for them.

Would like to see him get more chances, Wenger seems to bringing him through very slowly.

5. MexiGOL

MexiGOL New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Club América
    I'm sure he'll get placed in the position where he's most effective. Of course he's lacking experience and confidence but Wenger is building him up. There are many veteran forwards on the team that Vela is competing against but it looks like he's adapting well. Who would know better than Wenger who's got all the confidence in him. I remember watching the Arsenal vs. Olympiacos game where Wenger fielded his young talent. Even the commentators liked what they saw in Vela, but were a little frustrated with Walcott because he's been with the team longer and didn't produce much. Vela needs to polish up his finishing and have more confidence. He's proven he can finish like a veteran, but also pass when a teammate has a much better shot on goal than him. Merida also looks promising at 19. I know players move around a lot but it would be nice to have a developed Merida, Vela, and Walcott up front.

6. LPUNITED

LPUNITED New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    I think it will take him a little bit more time but he will become a started soon.

7. colorfulflowers

colorfulflowers New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    he still is young and he will get even better.you're got the potential. what he should do is to take advantage of his speed and his technic. Goooal!! Vela. you are the future of Arsenal

8. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe his major strength for the team will be his speed.

9. EnglishHeart

EnglishHeart New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol i guess wenger would place him in the formation next match xD

10. free bet

free bet New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    thank God he doesnt have to go to Newcastle..lol

11. MexiGOL

MexiGOL New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Club América
    I hope he gets some time against Chelsea. Wenger didn't even sub him in the last 2 games and maybe it was good for Vela because those games didn't result in wins. It would be nice to see him with a few goals with Arsenal this year before the WC.