Arsenal @ Man U [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Sep 21, 2003.

1. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    PBP thread starts now! I'll be at a pub so sorry, not updates from me.

Early media reports are that Sol did not travel with the club...do you have to do Sol, our prayers are with you.

Ref:
    Steve Bennett

Arsenal:
    Jens Lehmann
    Lauren Kolo Toure Martin Keown Ashley Cole
    Ray Parlour Patrick Vieira Gilberto Fredrik Ljungberg
    Thierry Henry Dennis Bergkamp

SUBS
    Robert Pires
    Sylvain Wiltord
    Edu
    Pascal Cygan
    Graham Stack

Man U:

Tim Howard
    Gary Neville Rio Ferdinand Mikael Silvestre John O'Shea
    Cristiano Ronaldo Phil Neville Roy Keane Quinton Fortune
    Ryan Giggs Ruud van Nistelrooy

2. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    I don't remember the last time Robert Pires started on the bench.

3. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Warning! Results from other games will probably be included in this thread. Don't whine about supposed TOS violations or any other things you think you know about but really don't when you see other results in this thread.

Interesting team selection, as indeed Bergy and Parlour are in, Pires and Wiltord are out.

The irritating Ian Darke with the call.

4. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Do we have anyone who can win a header in our own 6?

5. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    0-0 at the half.

From what I can gather from the online commentary, we haven't really seriously threatened Money United's goal, but the team's been much better defensively.

6. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    HT

0-0 at the half, neither team really looked like scoring. Giggs's free kick spun into the box and grazed the outside of the post; Van Nistelrooy missed an open goal with a header from a tight angle.

Arsenal's best chance that wasn't blown by an incorrect offside call came from Ashley Cole's shot that went just wide. Earlier, Henry was clean through on a break that was whistled for offside (it wasn't; Henry was in his own half when the pass was played to him. And, yes, I'm aware that he was offside last season in the 2-2 tie.)

Late in the half, Ronaldo's cross hit Cole's hand in the box, but Bennett ruled it was accidental. I've seen similar plays called both ways in the past.

7. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I didn't see the Inter game so I can't really comment on being "much better" defensively, but I can say that the defense hasn't looked that great and has, at times been holding on by thier fingernails. Virtually every cross that has come in from our left has gone right past our players and if it weren't for the post and a slight mistake by Ronaldo we'd be down 2-0. Also, we've had 2 very dangerous situations when Lehman almost carried the ball out of the box and Cole had an "unintentional" handball in the box go uncalled.

The midfield has done a decent job of trying to hold the game up but hasn't really clicked going forward. Freddie is scaring me with his movement to the right side because with Ronaldo on our left we need Freddie for extra coverage.

8. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    Fox,

Call it what you want, but it's 75' in now, and still 0-0 at Old Trafford. That speaks for itself, IMO.

9. Rupert789

Rupert789 New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Vieras off :(

10. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    mins
    Steve Bennett will be in the headlines again - he was referee in charge of the eventful Community Shield between theses two sides
    mins
    The Arsenal players are furious with Van Nistelrooy. He leapt high to take a ball, but then landed on top of Vieira who appeared to kick out at the striker.
    mins
    Drama here as Vieira is off!

11. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    This looks like its gonna go 0-0

12. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Penalty kick for ManU. Crap!

13. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
  14. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Missed by RVN!!!!

Bwaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!! :)

15. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Oh yeah! Hit the bar!

16. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    that ref is bollocks..... van nistildive was a *#*#*#*#ing prattt..... nice draw.... way to go boys~

17. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Looks like it was a rough game. I guess this is a fair result??

18. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    FT 0-0

I know a victory would have been better, but
    on such a big away game, I'd say take a point isn't
    bad at all.
    Arsenal is still on top of the table, right?

(edit: and RVN missing a penalty kick, AGAIN,
    against Arsenal...Priceless!)

19. Rupert789

Rupert789 New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    It was an obvious penalty. Keown pushed him afterwards as well. Still RVN jumped on Viera and shoulda got more than a yellow! Good game, and thank god RVN missed that penalty!

20. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    So, the cheating prick missed the PK, eh? It's just more proof that the concept of karma exists...

Now, can we have no more questions about the spirit and mental make-up of our team, please? Just days after what will probably be the worst loss of the season, Arsenal goes into Old Trafford and takes a point. Oh hell yeah. Seriously, I hope those of you in the Inter thread who were talking about us like we're Chester City (Or, even worse, S**rs) feel REALLY silly right about now.

21. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Whew.

First of all, I thought Vieira overreacted to the foul by RVN, and probably should have gotten sent off. Even though he didn't make contact - didn't come close, in fact - he still kicked out after being jumped on. I guess the Arsenal players felt RVN enhanced the reaction, thus getting Paddy sent off.

Looked like we were going to easily settle into the tie until Keown pulled down Forlan in the box (after Gilberto once again minced on a tackle that should have stopped the play 35 yards away from the goal). Keown didn't argue, and the only two replays I saw suggested it was a penalty.

And that's when the fun began.

Lehmann started chirping; RVN placed and re-placed the ball about 5 times; Lehmann started dancing along the goal line like a madman; and RVN blasted the PK against the crossbar. Afterwards, he was told in no uncertain terms, by about half the Arsenal team, what they thought of him. Classless? Yeah, probably, but it's an emotional game, and Arsenal had just caught a break.

I'll take the point, no doubt about it.

P.S. Bergy apologists, your boy had about 80 minutes, and still didn't do squat. Is he ever going to snap out of it, or is he done?

22. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh lord. I don't even know where to begin. I usually end up bored to death by scoreless draws but this was one to remember. I guess first off, Arsenal played real well. Defensively, they looked solid all game. Was a bit worried considering Campbell was missing, but with the way Sol has been playing, maybe it was a good thing. Keown did a solid job in the back. Lehman seemed to be on top of his game too. I don't think there was anything ManUre threw at him that gave him too much trouble, but he was solid all game. I was a bit surprised some of the key names on the bench didn't come on like Wiltord and/or Pires. Bergkamp didn't really look like he did much, so I was a bit surprised why he wasn't replaced. But then again, it's Arsene Wenger.

As for the drama at the end, I think Vieira deserved the second yellow. Even though he made no contact, it was still stupid. Sometimes I really wonder about the discipline of this team. That being said, I think Ruud should've gotten a yellow. He practically scaled on top of Vieira, then after his own death defying trick, seemed like he tried to break his fall on top of poor Patrick. I was surprised Lehman came out after that though and tried to get into a scuffle with Ruud.

Then the Keown penalty.......I don't know. I only saw one replay and it wasn't a good one. Didn't seem like Keown fouled Forlan but whatever, I didn't get a good look. Amazing miss by Ruud. I thought there was no way in hell he would miss another against Arsenal. The game definitely got exciting after the 85th minute and I'm glad we got this point. I didn't want a repeat of last season's 2-0 loss.

Will the FA go and take a look at the tape of the Arsenal players shoving Ruud at the end of the game? Keown jumped in joy after the whistle and purposely kind of came down on Ruud. Then I think he was shoved by Lauren or Parlour. Either way, it rejuvenated my hatred for Van Nistelbitch and I can't wait till they come to Highbury. So, we got a point and are still top of the table!

23. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    WOW

I think it was a great result considering the circumstance, and the fact that arsenal created relatively few chances.

RVN is a prick and should have been sent off, but I agree the the previous post about karma

Lehmann looked great, not just his saves, but his leadership on the pitch, Arsenal seemed to lack a vocal leader down the stretch last year.

Play Wiltord, Berks is great, but done, and Wiltord and Henry seem to vibe together.

Keown did earn the penalty, but he held the backline together in my opinion, and is to be appauled for the overall effort.

ManUre is in trouble in the long term, Becks never got credit for creating RVN's chances, and without him they are much less dangerous side. That Ronaldo kid is just a show-off that dances around like a ballerina without creating any chances for his forwards.

Glad to see Vieira show some fire even if he did get the door, maybe now he'll close the door on joining Manure when his contract is up.

Go Gunners

24. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh my word!

That was the most intense 0-0 draw I have ever seen in my life. If someone didn't know if they liked Arsenal or Man Utd, this was the match that would settle the argument.

1st half: Man Utd out played us. They were both very conservative and played tight defense.

2nd half: Arsenal came to life, little more attacking. Man Utd, I think was surprised at Arsenal's toughness.

If Lehmann didn't feel a part of the Arsenal/Man Utd rivalry, he is NOW! Great sticking up for your teammates Jans!

Ronaldo was very impressive, 3extremely quick with the dribbling, but needs to learn the English style and start crossing the ball into RVN.

Parlour and Bergkamp looked slow and old. I love them too, but age most definately affects one's speed.

The fights...WOW...I'm sure the league is pissed, but deep down inside they love it!!!

Huge draw for Arsenal!!! Man Utd had their chances and look like a more talent side....hey, I'm being honest.

25. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Classless punks. Look forward to watching you lose the rest of your games.