Arsenal in G-14

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Coach_McGuirk, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Just saw this little tidbit sitting for all to see at the ArsenalAmerica website. I must say that it is encouraging to see that the other "Big" clubs think enough of Arsenal to include them. As was stated, this is a HUGE step for Arsenal as a club to be seen as a "Big" club. I am vexed by 2 questions, though....

1. As Arsenal (along with Bayer Leverkusen, Valencia and Olympique Lyonnais) are now members of the G-14, shouldn't the name change to the "G-18", as there are now 18 clubs involved, or will the G-14 act like the Big 10, and ignore the fact that the number in their title no longer accounts for everyone involved?

2. Can anyone get kicked out of the G-14? Maybe they'll eliminate 4 members so "G-14" still makes sense.

One more thought: Even though I am a fan of Ajax, what in God's name are they and PSV doing there? Ajax is a wonderful club, develops talent like nobody's business, and is consistently in the upper echelons of the Eredivisie, but one of the 14 most powerful clubs in Europe? When's the last time Ajax got into the transfer market full bore? Ajax SELL players, they don't buy them. And considering my rant against Ajax, PSV have even less right to be included than Ajax. Another club is Porto: whenever it was that they had some "stroke" in the football world, well, that time has surely passed. Of course, now that they have inducted some new membership, perhaps they were trying to make up for past sins. The old breakdown was thus:

Italy: 3 teams (AC Milan, Inter, Juventus)
    Spain: 2 teams (Real Madrid, Barcelona)
    England: 2 teams (Liverpool, ManU)
    Germany: 2 teams (Borussia Dortmund, Bayern München)
    France: 2 teams (PSG, Olympique de Marseille)
    Holland: 2 teams (Ajax, PSV)
    Portugal: 1 team (Porto)

The new breakdown will be:

Italy: 3 teams (AC Milan, Inter, Juventus)
    Spain: 3 teams (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia)
    England: 3 teams (Liverpool, ManU, Arsenal)
    Germany: 3 teams (Borussia Dortmund, Bayern München, Bayer Leverkusen)
    France: 3 teams (PSG, Olympique de Marseille, Olympique Lyonnais)
    Holland: 2 teams (Ajax, PSV)
    Portugal: 1 team (Porto)

Seems to me, under the old membership, the G-14 was putting the Eredivisie in the same category with the Premiership, the Bundesliga, and the Spanish and French top flights. Now they are showing that the other leagues (Germany, England, France, and Spain) are, in fact, better leagues.

2. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some good points there coach. I'm sure Ajax's position comes from their historical power in the game. I mean to have a club with multiple European Cup wins excluded would be seen as a bit strange. And a majority of fans in Europe like to see Ajax play, they are one of the great historical names in European football.

As for PSV and Porto, I agree, what are they doing there? I would also lump Lyon, Dortmund and Leverkusen in with them. I've never seen them splash out in the transfer market and they aren't exactly the biggest draw in football in Europe either. Especially Leverkusen who anyone who doesn't keep a close eye on the Bundesliga had never heard of until last year.

And one I just thought of; how can Porto be included and Benfica be excluded?!?

3. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Coach,

The organization feels that they have built some brand equity in the "G-14" name, and thus will keep it as is.

PSV, Ajax, Porto. Couple of factors at play here. One, they position themselves as "historically" powerful clubs which helps the. Also, I think if at some time the G-14 sets up their own Euro League it would be nice to have a couple more countries represented. Also, by including teams that were better in the past than they are now, they have an excuse to keep in a squad like Inter, who may not win anything in the next 20 years. They can say, hey, PSV are in here too. Also, I would imagine that PSV brought some decent money and/or marketing muscle to the table.

Just some of my thoughts.