Arsenal going stateside in 2004 (Not Official)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Its only Ray Parlour, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No matter where they play, if our dreams come true, and Arsenal actually come over here, I will be there. Holy sh!t, that would be amazing.

2. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Back from the presser.

Man United will play three games, NYC, Chicago and TBD. Total of 7-8 teams. Not even a hint on who those teams are.

I took a lot of good natured, I think, ribbing for my Arsenal affiliation. I would imagine if Arsenal were to be part of the tour I would know far in advance. Of course I wouldn't be allowed to tell any of you.

3. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ;)

Enough of this archaeology and museum studies nonsense. I want to become Rick's protege in international-man-of-mysteriousness and all around suavavity.

How 'bout it chief?

Just let me know how you take your coffee.

4. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A summer of football. Not too bad. Too bad it looks like it is the scum that will be coming over.

5. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    It looks like we're not going to be part of the tour:

United to return to USA next summer
    Manchester United today confirmed they will return to the USA for three pre-season games next summer as part of the ChampionsWorld series.

United will play three leading continental sides - likely to include Real Madrid and David Beckham - in Chicago, New York and another venue to be confirmed.

David Gill, Manchester United's chief executive, said at a news conference in New York: 'We are thrilled to be returning to the United States for such significant matches next year.

'The passion for football and the enthusiasm for Manchester United that greeted us last summer during our visit to the USA was simply overwhelming, and we are keen to experience the American warmth and sports atmosphere once again. And the chance to play three top teams just adds spice to the adventure.'

Exact dates have yet to be revealed but the matches are expected to take place in late July and early August.

The venue in Chicago is Soldier Field, the newly renovated American football stadium beside Lake Michigan.

United will also play another game in New York at the Giants Stadium where this summer a crowd of 79,000 watched them play Juventus.

The other three teams taking part will be announced in the next few weeks but it is understood no other English teams will be participating.
    * Your views on this story? Email newsdesk@soccernet.com

6. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Black, like my men.

Senor, where are your from, what is that acronym?

SLO-Gunner, don't listen to soccernet. The other teams, and it could be as many as 6-7 more could come from any number of places. Believe me, if Nike said they wanted Arsenal to come over, ChampionsWorld would roll out the red carpet. The question is, does Arsenal (read Arsene) want to come over?

7. goonerooni

goonerooni Member

May 21, 2003
    Hertfordshire
    i dont know about touring the USA gents, but a feel one or two friendlies with wycome will be comming our way in the comming seasons!

8. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Man. Ure. will be playing in the USA in July. 2 games are scheduled for Chicago and New Jersey, with an optional third game still to be decided. I have had no indication that Arsenal will be attending. AW prefers his pre-season warm up in Europe unless the club are "dictated" to by Nike. If they are, then it's about time they crossed the pond, and start trying to claw back some of the lead that Man. Ure. have already built up in the USA.

9. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    :eek:

10. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  11. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Dan, that's a line from the original Airplane! movie. The stewardess asks the 9-year old girl how she takes her coffee, and the girl says...

ArseTex3: Tribalfootball, while I can't say I have any first-hand knowledge about them, are obviously amateurs. That two paragraph story had no information, except for the information that was wrong.

Arsenal weren't named and it was never said that it would be a total of four teams.

12. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    You nailed it. And my guess would be "no." Arsene doesn't think much of American footy (he panned the US team's chances before WC02 as we have no "football culture."). Plus, I would thing Wenger would want to be scouting out players during the tournament. Knowing how much of a football junkie he is, maybe he know's he'd go into withdrawl over here?

If Arsene decided July in Chicago was worth it, who of the first team would come? No internationals from Europe (Euro04) or South America (Copa America) would be able to make it. That leaves Bergkamp (only by sea, of course), Parlour, Lauren, Toure, Lehmann, plus some of our loaned players (VanBronkhorst, Pennant).

Don't get me wrong, I'd be so happy to see them here on our soil (maybe show them around Boston?!) but I'm just sceptical. I'm hoping an '05 showing might be more in the cards (although there are WC Quals then....)

13. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    From what I've seen, Tribal Football is about as reliable as From The Terrace. In other words, not in the slightest.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    http://www.ananova.com/sport/story/sm_837590.html

"The venue in Chicago is Soldier Field, the newly renovated American football stadium beside Lake Michigan.

United will also play another game in New York at the Giants Stadium where this summer a crowd of 79,000 watched them play Juventus.

The other three teams taking part will be announced in the next few weeks but it is understood no other English teams will be participating."

15. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was actually a 9 year old boy that asked her, but props for the reference anyways:)

16. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    From today's Daily Telegraph

"United will be the only English team in the four-club tournament, although Chelsea and Arsenal have both expressed an interest in playing, "

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  18. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    does anyone know anymore if the rumours are true yet?

19. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    does anyone know anymore if the rumours are true yet?

20. BayouGooner

BayouGooner New Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    I hope the Gunners land stateside--the cash and exposure is greatly needed. However unless they play within an hour of where I am for the summer, I'm not going. It might be selfish of me, but I'd like to Arsenal in full force. Who's going to play? Tavlaridis? Garry? I don't want to see them unless I'm watching a reserve match. Although I wouldn't mind seeing the young Americans.

21. lagerbhoy

lagerbhoy New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Parkhead
    I would love to see celtic come back and b####slap ManUre this time.

And then see the Celts and Arsenal play a wonderful game.

Ahhhh..alas my dreams will probably never be realized.

NIKE would never let ManUre lose.

22. jmpike

jmpike New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Just rumors!

I suppose it doesn't hurt to check arsenal's official website? No summer friendlies mentioned.

But many fans in the 606 say with confidence that Arsenal are coming.

CHeers!