Arsenal, Gerrard, and where he would start/play...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Grand_Rapids_Gunner, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Grand_Rapids_Gunner

Apr 26, 2005
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just followed a link from news now that says Arsenal is going to throw their hat into the ring for Steven Gerrard.

http://www.koptalk.org/forums/showf...3653/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Chelsea are reportedly making new attempts to entice Steven Gerrard to Stamford Bridge.

It is claimed that the Londoners have contacted Rick Parry today and have put a starting bid of £32million cash on the table for consideration on the back of the ongoing problems at Anfield.

Real Madrid have already registered their interest and have submitted an offer if you believe the reports from Spain but what is interesting to hear is that Arsenal are said to be considering getting involved. If the Gunners were to get involved, we wouldn't be surprised to see Manchester United try their luck either.

I'm just wondering, if we do go after Gerrard, where would he play?? I don't think that he would unseat either Gilberto or Vieira, and I don't think that he would want to play the wing, but who knows?? Anybody else know where he would play...

(of course, I'm just saying this for argument's sake, I would have no problem if Gerrard wanted to come to Arsenal.)

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I could only see this happening if Vieira was finally shown the door.

3. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    i could live with that. vieira's heart isn't with arsenal anymore, sometimes when i watch him play i get the feeling he feels he's made the wrong decision staying with the club.

4. GJ40

GJ40 Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Apex
    I'd be disappointed if Viera left but not as disappointed as I would have been in previous seasons.

GJ40

5. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    I just don't see that. Vieira had a hang-over from last summer, yes, but injuries were equally responsible for his poor performance early in the season. Time healed both the physical and spiritual wounds, and from December on Vieira was excellent - and COMMITTED.

Gerrard is at a club that just won the Champions League and a club that can improve dramatically domestically and will likely finish third in the Premiership if they stay healthy and he wants to leave for more money most likely. Isn't that the same thing you are so angry with Vieira about? And Vieira can say we have NOT won in Europe and that is his goal. Liverpool HAVE won in Europe? So what is Gerrard's goal?

I don't want to get in the whole player-nationality thing, but I really wonder if it was Vieira at Anfield and Gerrard here at Highbury now if you would have the same view. We're all Gooners so don't take that as against you. But I just think maybe that colors your view here.

My thing is if Gerrard is after money or a prima-donna which leaving now unless Liverpool simply want to sell him which they vehemently deny and they certainly didn't want to sell last year when he threatened to leave, then all we've really done is replace Vieira with someone just like him(in terms of what many supporters don't like about him) but English. Change certainly, but progress? That is hardly certain....

6. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    umm lemme see.....gerrards younger, check. hungrier, check and he's the future england captain, check. i think that's all the motivation i need.

7. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    Hungrier for what? He's lifted the Champions League Trophy and if Premiership glory was the issue surely he'd have left Anfield a few years ago. As for future England captain... that doesn't answer whether he'd really be better for us now than Vieira.

I would prefer keeping Vieira signing Gerrard and having a rotation with them Gilberto and Fabregas. Just as we missed Gilberto, we miss Vieira's drive when he is out or less than fully fit, and Gerrard can supply some of that at worst.

But that won't happen and if it has to be either/or, always take the devil you know...

8. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. :D

9. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    He'd be a decent signing, but 32 million GBP? Are you kidding me? He's maybe worth about half of that. He was great during the CL run, but didn't bother to show up during some of Liverpool's EPL fixtures, and I'm not just referring to the ones he was injured in. That's part of the reason they needed a special order from UEFA to defend their title. I want a guy who will be committed to the cause through everything, not just the highest profile competition.

10. 49unbeaten

49unbeaten Member

Jan 3, 2005
    upstate ny
    i cant see gerrard coming to arsenal...i wish we could have him, and im sure him and vieira would be great together in the middle of the park.

11. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Not only is Gerrard younger but he’ll only get better plus he’s hungry for success, and you’re quick to point out the champions league win but Gerrard is determined and has set his standards higher than just one major winners medal. You also pointed out that Gerrard would of left Liverpool if he wanted to win the premiership, but Gerrard’s loyal to the club he loves and that’s something I’ll respect him for and if he had left earlier he would of never won the champions league with his boyhood club, which obviously matters a lot to him. But I think he’s come to a decision now he wants to move on and no one will begrudge him for it, his mostly likely destination is Real Madrid. Which is a sign of respect to Liverpool fans he doesn’t want to play for another English club.

I don’t want Vieira to leave but if we had the chance for Gerrard to play for us, I wouldn’t want Wenger to hesitate even for a second. Vieira’s best career form was easily in the 00/01 and 01/02 seasons when he was absolutely fantastic and it’s been awhile since he’s remotely shown anything close to his best even if it is inconsistent but people tend to oversee this because as long as the team’s playing well they don’t really care how Vieira’s individual form has been, I’m not saying he’s been bad because he hasn’t but the consistent Vieira from early millennium is long gone and considering he’s in his peak we should really expect more from him. Obviously next season he could prove me wrong but we’ll just have to wait and see because at the moment, in my opinion his heart isn’t at Arsenal anymore, I could be biased in my opinion because I lost a huge amount of respect for him last summer.

What I’m trying to say is Gerrard is the better player and he’s proven class and yes him being English is also important, just think of all the media attention we’ll get for having the future England captain?

12. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London

£32 million for Gerrard is fucking cheap, what the ******** you on about half of that?
    He has the potential but it’s not his fault he constantly has to carry his team, at arsenal I’m sure he’ll live up to the potential because he’ll have a huge weight lifted off his shoulders. This mentality is why we haven’t won a major European competition, if we actually bought players like Gerrard we’ll not only be richer but we’ll also be considerably stronger. But I think Wengers realized this, that’s why he’s going for the Baptista’s etc.

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MT is right, we need the media attention that Gerrard will bring. If we could get Beckham that would be even better! Maybe he'll get divorced and start dating Paris Hilton! Think of the media attention! It would be great! :rolleyes:

14. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    We'll be getting Gerrard for his footballing ability mainly so I don't see your point. Media attention is good, it means exposure to and revenue from other countries.

15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BBC- Where will Steven Gerrard go?
    If you don't feel like clicking the link, Arsenal is mentioned briefly at the bottom of the story.
    BTW, MT the BBC is British, so you know they're the best, right. ;)

16. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    £32 million is cheap?!?! You don't pay that purely for potential. At that price, you want someone established. I'm sorry, but, if he wasn't English, he'd come a lot cheaper. Honestly, he hasn't put together a consistent enough run to command that kind of price. The CL win was impressive, and I'd love to have that, but it wasn't just Gerrard who won it singlehandedly. He didn't even play the second leg against Juve. And if he's such an effective captain and leader, they wouldn't have imploded in the EPL. I just don't think he's worth that kind of money until he has more than one decent season.

17. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if AW and the club feel the same way about not selling him when they could've got 23m for him and then made a serious run at Gerrard like rumored...I gotta think they do looking back at it now.

18. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    I’m trying stay calm after that diabolical post.

Gerrard is world class, any player of his talent and class regardless of nationality would cost around the same amount. And if we were asking for £30 million for Vieira why is Gerrards price far fetched?

I’m sure he wouldn’t leave for that much money, more likely £20-25 million is the right estimation considering he wants to leave and Liverpool aren’t stupid enough to hold him against his will. Arsene knows this that’s why he’s monitoring the situation closely.

*breathe in* *breathe out*

19. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I concur.

20. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    What pedigree? He's had one championship season, and been very good the other ones, but he is not yet in that price range. Vieira's been at it longer and won a lot more, plus he was an absolutely dominant midfielder practically every match up until this season. Gerrard could be that player, but he hasn't been that player yet. As I said, he wasn't consistent last year and, as good as he was in the CL, he wasn't close to the same player in the EPL. I'll give you that he's worth MAYBE £20 million, but that's about as high as I think he'd go if he weren't English. As I said before, I don't want to blow the whole budget on one player, regardless of who he is. Man U's done that in the past with Rio and Rooney, and they didn't win a damn thing last year.

Having said that, if you really think that Liverpool will sell him for less than £30 million, you're nuts. The fans would riot outside of Anfield if they did that, plus, if the original article is right, Chelsea have already bid £32 million, and you know Real is lurking in the background, particulary with Santos balking over Robinho.

21. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We don't have the financial clout to compete with either Chelsea or Real Madrid in the bidding war that is about to break out, and Chelsea would be the favourites to win that. That would also apply to wages, which now appears to be Gerrard's motivation in going. It would all depend on how Gerrard feels about remaining in the EPL and having to return to Anfield in the future.
    Our best hope of signing him, would be to offer cash, plus a ready made replacement of similar stature to Liverpool and that would be PV4.
    In the first instance I wouldn't be too unhappy about that as I feel that PV4 has gone off the boil over the last couple of seasons. What would concern me about that would be the knock on effect with other players.
    If AFC are to let their captain and cult hero go, would TH14 consider that maybe Barcelona might be a viable proposition after all, and then, who else would follow. The best bet would be to overlook Gerrard who will go at any overinflated price, and for AW to try and get some extra motivation out of PV4.

22. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Interesting stat from the Fiver today: in four of the last five seasons, Liverpool has averaged more points in EPL games when Gerrard hasn't played than when he has.

23. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004

Don't we have that with Vieira also?

What was that stat where we did better without him than with him?

24. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    Spot-on Jeff! On any number of boards I have argued irregardless of the rumors innuendos or even factual quotes on Vieira the real danger in reacting in the traditional manner and selling immediately or even treating him as some sort of unwelcome player was that knock on effect.

What makes this Arsenal team so special is its CHEMISTRY. The players we have sold have disrupted this chemistry to varying degrees either on or off the pitch. Vieira is the heart of that chemistry on the pitch and off it too. I have never understood even from the "he has betrayed the club" people, or the "we should just cash in" people, or the "no man is bigger than the club" faction the eagerness to risk this brilliant but fragile chemistry this team has(Including Thierry Henry and Jose Antonio Reyes - so long as Reyes is playing wide and not up-front). Vieira will be in his testimonial season next year - AT Arsenal, in spite of the opportunities and temptations to leave, leading us to more trophies than any mid-field skipper and Captaining Two FA Cup Winners and the ONLY Unbeaten League Champions in Modern History in three seasons as Captain. He is the Heart of Arsenal, just as Thierry Henry is the Face of Arsenal, and Sol Campbell the Bulldog Spirit of Arsenal. To sell him on even for Gerrard would be dangerous business at best - especially considering Gerrard seems even less likely to stay if not completely fulfilled as Vieira.
    Looking at Steven Gerrard right now, Gooners ought to thank their lucky stars they have had and still have Patrick Vieira as opposed to Stevie G whose loyalty to his life-long club does not even approach Ashley Cole's apparently. We owe Vieira an apology - even if he does succumb eventually. I'd rather have him - as is now - over Gerrard any day, and if we were to get Gerrard I say only to play him with Patrick...

25. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    good speach but id still rather see Steven Gerrard lining up in an arsenal shirt next season none of u englishophobians are going to change my mind