Arsenal Canada?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bigp, Aug 17, 2005.

1. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    http://www.arsenalcanada.com/

It seems like a Canadian Arsenal Supporters Club has started up. I'm just wondering what effect this has on ArsenalAmerica seeing as how it is the North American Arsenal Supporters Club.

2. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we have a good reason to kick those syrup sippers out of our club!;):D

Good question though. Mike will have to chime in on this one. But seeing as how ArseAm is an official supporters club, it may be hard for them to gain this status unless ArseAm drops Canada.

3. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    This actually came up in a series of e-mails. ArsenalCanada is actually an official supporters club. We were totally caught off guard by them, and our position has been made clear to the Club.

Fow now, anyone from Canada who wishes to remain a member of ArsenalAmerica may do so, but new members would need to go through ArseCan.

4. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this thread... Coach is absolutely correct on this one. We're not pleased, and the club knows it. I asked specifically about members from Canada whose memberships come up at the end of the season. The ruling is that they may remain in ArseAm if they so choose. The question remains however as to whether we are now just the official supporters group of the United States... but we have a few Canadian members too. Stay tuned..

5. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Just to add to this as this is the question I have been getting. All Canadians who have come to me for tickets for this season already will be honoured. Anyone who comes to me from now on will I'm afraid have to approach Arsenal Canada. If there is to be a different supporters club (which there is) then we have to adhere to the rules whether or not they can provide tickets like Arsenal America can. If you want to blame anyone for that - talk to the people who set up Arsenal Canada without talking or asking us anything.
    The club didn't tell us, we found out. As Mike and Brad have said, our feelings have been made clear to the club on that.

6. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a new flag design is in order. Too bad the original one was the one signed by so many in Austria this year.

7. Grateful Gooner

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, it was thanks to two Canadians that the banner got signed! I'll probably be bringing it to Philly again this weekend...

8. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So, can we now refer to it as the 'Arsenal America Banner - Philly variety'? :rolleyes:

9. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I know that and I think we all really appreciate all they did on the trip (banner signing, photos, etc.). I was just commenting on how the ArseCan now means we are now a USA only supporters club and the current banner doesn't really work. Therefore the one everyone spent so much effort on may not be the official banner anymore.

10. Grateful Gooner

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think I'll just replace the maple leaf with the liberty bell. Oh wait, DB10 signed right in the middle of the damn leaf! :p

I share your feelings. What we're going to do this season is work on getting smaller-scale banners made for each region, but keep some sort of ArseAm theme throughout the banners.

11. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me know how I can help. I'm sure Brad and I can come up with something interesting for our area!

12. Arsenal_Canada_Lady

Arsenal_Canada_Lady New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Barrie, Ont Canada
    Hello everyone. I found this thread regarding Arsenal Canada. Speaking on behalf of Arsenal Canada we are a newly founded group and hope that we will be welcomed by other Arsenal supporter clubs. I realize that Arsenal America has been around for awhile, but there were people who felt that there should be an Arsenal Canada in order to have local events and gatherings. North America is a very large area to cover, and after all we are two different countries. As you said, Canadians who want to stay with ArseAm can do so but new members will be referred to ArseCanada. We are all Arsenal supporters after all, does it matter which site we support? We can both offer information regarding tickets and get togethers for events.

The design of Arsenal Canada is in the works, the site you see right now is temporary but we wanted to get something up before the beginning of the new season.

So in closing...good luck to Arsenal in their last season at Highbury.

Patsy C :)

13. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Patsy,
    I think we understand the reasoning but I have 2 questions for you.

1. Knowing that ArsenalAmerica is the official supporters club for North America and not just the USA and knowing that we have a Canadian membership...why didn't someone initiate a dialogue first? It would have been a more friendly way to do things.

2. I agree with having more 'local events and gatherings' but there is nothing at all that prevents Canadians from doing that. As you state, there is a lot of area to cover but we do have some very strong local groups and ArseAm actually encourages that. Is there something we were doing or NOT doing that made you feel the need to establish your own group? Or is this just nationalism? (ie. after all we are two different countries)

I mean all this very respectfully. Just looking for some thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.
    Matt

14. Grateful Gooner

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Patsy,

On behalf of Arsenal America, please don't misconstrue my post above as any sort of hard feelings directed towards you or ArseCan. I congratulate you on gaining official status, and look forward to working with you as fellow North Americans. If I have any frustrations, they are directed towards AFC. Among other things, we're now unsure as to how to brand ourselves, as the documentation we received from the club indicates that we are indeed the official supporters group for the US and Canada.

Again, I look forward to working with you, and invite you to post on these boards. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me @

mikek AT arsenalamerica DOT com.

All the best and Up The Gunners!,

Mike Kavanagh
    President, Arsenal America

15. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's great to see Canada's loyalty to the Crown finally rewarded by the granting of an "official Arsenal supporters club" that side of the border.
    I have spoken with H.M. QE II and you have her endorsement.
    As for those "rebels" the other side of the border, it's payback time for 1776.
    How does it feel when you're not wanted anymore!!! :D
    "Arsenal or Death"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

16. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

Hmmm . . . I'm a member of ArsenalAmerica and enjoyed going to Highbury with fellow ArseAmer's on the Roadtrip and I wouldn't want that to change.

I guess I'll just check out both sites!

17. Bergkamp_4_ever

Bergkamp_4_ever New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    WUDN'T U LYK 2 NO!
    Can I get DUAL CITIZENSHIP? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm not sure how to take this news. It would have not been possible for me to visit Highbury last year without the help of Arsenal America & I can't say I am willing to give up my membership with them. I'm hoping a compromise can be reached between the two parties.

If not, I call the Maple Leaf on the banner! :D

18. Grateful Gooner

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically, existing Canadian members of Arsenal America can choose to stay with us, or join Arsenal Canada. New Canadian applicants will be referred to Arsenal Canada.

19. Bergkamp_4_ever

Sep 12, 2004
    WUDN'T U LYK 2 NO!
    In that case.....

1) Rick, I have not read anything on this thread.

2) BTW, if it's possible I will need a ticket for every game I can attend for the rest of this season (including CL & FA Cup). :D

3) Arsenal Canada? Never heard of them. ;)

4) Stupid me! I already posted a message on this thread before this one.

5) CRAP!!!! :( (i.e. obviously I lied on 1 & 3 )

6) Does anyone from the US have a sister I can marry so I can get tickets from both groups?

7) If not, is gay marriage legal in the US?

8) If yes for #7, does anyone from the US have a brother I can marry? :eek:

20. Arsenal_Canada_Lady

Arsenal_Canada_Lady New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Barrie, Ont Canada
    Hello again. Well I did not start the supporters club. A fellow named Doug R did. Apparently many people have tried to get a supporters club in Canada but no one got as far as Doug did. I am the webmaster of the site and an avid Arsenal fan. I have family that works there, which is great. My niece has been here for a month and she brought all of us the new shirts. They are very nice. I do not know why Doug did not contact you first, I came in later after he got official status. I think there are enough Arsenal supporters out there to keep both clubs happy. For those who have history with you, they will stick with your club.

According to Jill at Arsenal, you can only have one club per country. Then the countries can be split into local chapters. Right now the head office is in Toronto which is an hour away for me. So, if I find enough people (up north) then I can start a local chapter. The more the merrier.

:D So lets keep the communication going, I am sure we can get together as one big group one day in England. I can hardly wait to see the new stadium. I was there in May for the last two home games but I did not even look at the new stadium...I want the first time to be when we go back and see a live game

In closing...let all Gooners unite and support Arsenal from all corners of the world.

Cheers

Patsy C
    Arsenal Lady

21. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Did Doug know of ArsenalAmerica and just decide he wants nothing to do with us or was he unaware that Canada already had an offical supporters club?

I don't think anyone is against a Canada only club, just seems odd that someone not involved with the offical supporters club started up a new one...esecially when we have some very active Canadian members who have really helped in making ArsenalAmerica grow and turn into an offical supporters club.

22. Bergkamp_4_ever

Sep 12, 2004
    WUDN'T U LYK 2 NO!
    Actually, I am against it somewhat. It doesn't make sense to have a group created to do for Canadians what Arsenal America has already been doing for us for so long (at least without a discussion of some sort).

23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That bites. What happened to the Yank-Canuck vibe we were all feelin?
    I smell a rogue Gooner that is a closet Sp*rs or Manc trying alittle divide and conquer...grrrrrr.

24. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agree completely. Resources are thin, the organizations could have done more together than apart.

Oh well, c'est la vie. Let them have their club, we have Rick.

25. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactamundo!!!! :D