Arsenal at the break: statistical breakdown of the first half performance

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Dward1, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Dward1

Dward1 Member

May 29, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://saturdays.substack.com/p/arsenal-at-the-break

Lots of stats, graphs and more there but let me push the main points here.

This is just a completely robust team so far, a wide and deep attack (5 men chipping in very well) which allows the fullbacks to be much more defensive and to have a true defensive mid in Partey, that coupled with the quality at CB means teams struggle to complete passes even when they get the ball into good position, which is rarely.

The drop-off at several positions has been rather stark, worries about that up front now in terms of attack and the leading from the front defense Jesus had.

right side dominant attack with Martinelli playing off-ball much more and Odegaard moving right a lot.

All metrics look just very quality, maybe not Man City level in everything but not far off and that's a ridiculous bar to even be competing with.

Tonerl and cooper7d7 repped this.
  2. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really enjoyable stats and analysis you shared. I'm typically not a stats guy when it comes to sports, so I don't typically seek out the sort of graphics and numbers you shared in the link, but let's be honest, we've all been starved for Arsenal content during this world cup break.

I found the passing graphics to be particularly interesting, if only to validate what I believe is true by simply watching our team play the past 4 months. The Ben White to Saka and Xhaka to Martinelli passing would not have immediately come to mind as a trend, for example, if I were discussing our team's play with someone else.

Dward1 repped this.