Arsenal and Man U charged by FA

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Sep 24, 2003.

1. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i assume that you meant to say "chaRged" .......... and this is a good thing. leagues cannot allow hooliganism on the part of players in an atmosphere like that. it's bad for the sport.

3. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    dang it....any mod reading this, feel free to fix it.

4. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    You can edit it yourself, DG. Just click on the "edit" button and it will take you back to your original post.

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I thought the charges against Lehman are a bit harsh. He didn't really confront Bennett, except to argue Viera's case, and I didn't see him involved in the post match stuff. The FA must have video that only it can see.

6. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No crap...you see something like that in almost every game but never see any action taken.

7. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    Are you telling me the FA doesn't have an official charge of being a c*nt ?

Oh well, I guess vanNistelrooy will continue to get away with his antics.

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    After the Vieira sending off Lehmann was having a go at Van Nistelrooy. The linesman stepped between them and Lehmann pushed him out of the way. I'm sure this is what he'll be charged with. While it wasn't a really strong shove in the Di Canio mould, as soon as you lay your hands on an official you're in trouble. I'd expect him to get three games and a hefty fine for it.

9. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me or is the whole thing not a big deal? Were there any broken bones? Was there any bloodshed? Why is this such a big damn deal? I know, I know, Mancs, I'm just being a blind supporter of my club, and the FA are being too easy on the Arsenal players. I know, as do we all, that the proper penalty for shoving should be death. By plastic fork. Seriously, though, I want to see Taylor play, but not because of this...

10. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    OK, now I DO remember that.

Yeah, touching an official is a big "no-no", although Lehman never looked at the linesman when he pushed his arm away and he may not have known it was an official (of course he probably DID know it was the linesman and there you have it)

Didn't a Bundesleiga fan come on this board and say that Lehman had several red cards when he played there? This probably isn't the greatest way to start your Premiership career.

Actually, just looking at the charges, it seems the FA is after him for arguing the card w/ Bennett and going after RvN several more times. Nothing at all about touching the linesman. Perhaps the FA just didn't think it was all that bad.

11. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    In fact your wrong mate, he wasn't charged with that particular linesmen incident in myind, he was charged for his Man U vs Middlesborough style running after the referee. He was also done for "persistently trying to confront" van Nistelrooy.

In any case i have spoken to an active referee, who told me that they have been instructed that they MUST NOT lay their fingers on a player as they leave themselves open to retailation or some form of joustling. The FA will then have no legal right to charge the player as he can just say that he thought he was being attacked by a player or he was just trying to free himself, etc. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on if Lehmann was charged for removing the refs arm away from him.

I must say in all my years of watching football i have never seen anyone charged for "confronting an opponent". That is the most a trumpted up, off-the-cuff nonsense charge i've have ever heard of. That's worse than Vieira being banned for foul and abusive language when he was found not to have even SWORN at the ref. "You have no personality!"

Without a doubt Keown and Lauren should have been charged for their actions. With Keown getting a reasonably lengthy ban. Parlour should be fined. Ashley Cole's charge is a joke, i haven't seen him do anything of any significance.

To be fair, from the footage i have seen C.Ronaldo's charge is also totally unwarranted, however the new angles i have seen, shows that Giggs instigated a shoving match between himself and Lauren. But that is not worthy of a charge in itself.

What i am totally amazed about is how Quinton Fortune has managed to escape any recrimination for his rugby tackle on Lehmann after the penalty was awarded, whilst he was still on a yellow card. AND how on Earth Gary Neville has managed to get off scot-free when it was widely reported that he would be facing a ban for throwing a punch at Ashley Cole is beyond my comprehension. They are making this up as they go along!

And when was the last-time a player that had been controversially been sent-off run off the pitch without protest?

12. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    So THAT'S who that was. I couldn't figure out who ran into Lehman and attempted to strip him of the ball.

13. UVaGooner

UVaGooner BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 15, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So several Arsenal players may be facing the same punishment for pushing and shoving as Lucas Neill will get for breaking Carragher's leg? Yeah, the FA is a fine and fair institution.

14. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    You are spot on...you wouldn't believe how much transparent moralising has been going on in this country. You would have thought Villa vs Birmingham last season didn't happen. Now that was a war.

Our boys stupidly decide to get some retribution and they are talking about DEDUCTING POINTS, FFS!

"Think of the kids, won't you think of the kids!"

15. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    The FA is a joke, it's a cosy old-boy's club running a billion pound industry. They are only interested in reacting to supposed public interest.

16. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    keown is going to get a lengthy ban fer sure.. but i think lauren might have some serious problems... he was obsessed after the PK was awarded then obviously we all know what happened after the match... giggs really did get into a tangle with him.. i wonder how the FA will punish giggs.. im guessing a fine.... isnt our cover for lauren playing for Fulham currently??? great....

17. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
  18. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Anybody else concerned that any suspensions will really kill us? As it is, our depth, especially at the back, is almost nil. Parlour obviously won't be a major loss as long as Pires is around, and Taylor can come in to take Lehman's place, but Keown, Lauren, Cole, and especially Vieira are huge, particularly with Sol's pending suspension. I'm not so much concerned about the middle of the back, with Toure and possibly Cygan filling in, but who do we have to play the wings if Cole and Lauren are both out?

19. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Frankie Simek!

20. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    i would rather see shaaban in the goal. i thought he was very solid until he broke his leg last season. i felt safer with him as opposed to when taylor was in the goal. also, i think it would be a great, if inconceivable, idea to fly pierluigi collina in from italy for arsenal/manu games from now on. i don't think this kind of thing would have happened if we had a world class official like him on the pitch

21. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Lousy ingrates... one week, just ONE WEEK with the FAI (Football Association of the [Republic of] Ireland) and you would be begging for your old boys club back :)

22. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    On a lighter note, here's the Fiver's take on the whole thing from earlier this afternoon:

Hot on the heels of ratings winner The 1900s House, where a family lived as the Victorians did, and The 1900s Press Box, where sports hacks opined as the Victorians did, comes The 1900s Office, where administrators dole out sanctimonious punishments as the Victorians did. "Disgraceful!" "Shameful!" "Appalling!" "Scandalous!" "Sick!" they over-react, charging Arsenal and Manchester United players for their parts in a minor spat - before pulling on their stovepipe hats, lighting a gas lamp, and wandering off into the smog with a view to murdering a prostitute.

Let's recap. Patrick Vieira stayed where he was after a man told him to go away (one charge of improper conduct). Jens Lehmann told the man he did not think Vieira should have been told go away (one charge of improper conduct). Martin Keown jumped very high in the air (one charge of improper conduct). Lauren looked at Ryan Giggs in a funny
    way (one charge of improper conduct). Giggs frowned, holding his thick-set eyebrows at a dangerous angle (one charge of improper conduct). Ashley Cole said a bad word in a working-class accent to Cristiano Ronaldo (one charge of improper conduct). Ronaldo got all hot and red in the face (one charge of improper conduct). And Lauren, Keown and Ray Parlour scared a horse and made it gallop off (loads more charges here, not exactly sure of the details though, to be honest we've confused ourselves now).

And, eh, that's it. All good clean knockabout fun, and the sort of thing we all enjoy, let's please face up to this fact once and for all. But in addition to the punishments detailed so confusingly above, the Sanctimony Association have also charged Arsenal FC with "failing to ensure the proper behaviour of their players", and wagged a stern finger in Phil Neville's face telling him to behave in future
    else it's the birch. Quick, throw some heavy hessian over that nagging digit, in case a nearby woman experiences the devil's rumbling in her lower abdomen!

23. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    you've also forgotten that the FA has now dumped wenger into all this by asking him to explain what he meant by calling RVN a cheat.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=278295&cc=5901

i just think it would be funny if wenger turned around and said "what the hell do you think i meant. i said he's a cheat, but i meant he's a cheating f***ing tw*t."

24. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can live with this. Last year AFC played its best football with non-regular players. They can do it again. It should not be lost in all of this that MU didn't gain any points at home

25. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess what I'm trying to figure out is this; now that the charges have come out, does this mean we've escaped the chance of points be deducted?