ArseAm Needs YOU!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by jwaldman11, Oct 3, 2003.

1. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    Don't know, but it's more like the other way around. Even though I love the Arse and donated money for the banner, it does have some colonial implications. After all, we kicked those bums out a couple of hundred years ago for a good reason.

2. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    No, I wouldn't take offence.

3. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    $25 well spent....

Fly it proudly guys!

4. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    um, i wouldn't go so far as to call them bums as it was us that didn't want to be taxed by them. wouldn't that make us the bums? anyway, the thought of an uprising in england over the flag didn't even cross my mind until you guys brought it up. besides if you explain it you should be fine

5. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    Just a joke. (I'm from California, where everybody is a bum. We tend to go for woman-groping and hitler-admiring "actors" with no intellect or politial experience. Keeps things simple.)

Anyway, back to Arsenal content, how close are we to raising the money we need?

6. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    A flag of St George has just gone up in my local pub with an ad for Tetley's Bitter in the top left hand quadrant so I shouldn't worry too much about yours.

It's for the Rugby Union World Cup which starts today. I'm particularly looking forward to the France v USA game!! Georgia has qualified as well.

Did you know that the USA are the reigning Olympic champions in Rugby?

7. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Thanks to the tremendous generosity of ArseAm members, funds have been received in full for the banner. In fact, I think we'll be able to add a cool red Cannon as well.

One bit of bad news. According to UK Gooners, it is unlikely that we would be able to display the banner during a game at THOF. We can still bring it and have a picture taken of the group that goes over. We can still use it at US pubs and perhaps we can use it at a European or domestic match at another ground some day.

This banner will be something for ArseAm to have for years, so I'm confident we'll get some exposure with it.

8. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Not even if we bring it in a backpack and, say, after a goal or something, we hold it aloft or something? Is it too big for that? Or maybe Jill Smith can help us out and talk to some people so maybe they let us hang it at the THOF once a year?

9. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Re: ArseAm Needs YOU!

Trying to steal something we already do in Dallas eh? :D

10. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Re: Re: ArseAm Needs YOU!

Reminds me of my days at Syracuse, when we we used to bring a lot of things into the stadium via backpack. I don't think any of them was a banner though. Most were in liquid form!

11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I promise that you will only get one picture of me in the buff with the banner... :rolleyes:

12. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't see any reason why the banner cannot be displayed over the edges of the upper stands. It has been done before and flags are at times. Have the club said 'officially' "NO"?

13. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    I really cant see it being a problem, I would imagine, like myself, most Arsenal fans would be proud to know we've got fans in north America.

As for smashing a beer bottle on your head , at £ 3 a pop I don't think so :)

14. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Decide on where you place the 2 flags but in the 4 quarters of the cross of St. George how about placing a cannon in one and either "Arsenal" or "AFC" in the other so all 4 spaces are used. Bear in mind that the top left quarter is the most important.
    (Check on other flags that carry the Union flag in that quarter as in Australia, New Zealand, the "old" Canadian flag and indeed the U.S. flag. (Remember when that carried the Union flag!!??).

15. Sir Martin Keown

Sir Martin Keown New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Germany
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    great idea guys!!, even if the club say no to unveiling the flag just do it anyway, I've never heard of a club kicking fans out for showing their flag at their home ground.

I have to say I'm impressed with the amount of gooners on the Big Soccer forums, I thought it would be full of Manure fans but was pleasantly suprised.

So how come there are so many gooners in North America?

16. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    well, i don't know about other people, but i started following arsenal when i was 10 and my select club team was named arsenal. it's been 10 years and i've been a fan ever since

17. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Re: Re: Re: ArseAm Needs YOU!

When did you graduate from 'Cuse, jwaldman? The reson I ask is that a buddy of mine was a broadcast journalism major up there, and he graduated in '91. Perhaps you were there sometime from '87 - '91??

18. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Long stories short - Dennis Bergkamp and Fever Pitch (and that seems to be the case for a lot of us!).

19. Sir Martin Keown

Sir Martin Keown New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Germany
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you like the Fever Pitch book then you should read 'Arsenal: on the Double: Overdrawn, Under the Weather, Overslept, Underpants, Over the Moon, Under the Table: a Terrace Take on the Season' by Bernard Azulay. I haven't read it yet but I have heard it's very good and I have just ordered it from Amazon.

20. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: ArseAm Needs YOU!

I'm a December 2001 grad, but I was a broadcast major as well (though it's doing me a helluva lot of good now!). Just out of curiosity, is your buddy still in the business or is he out now?

21. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ArseAm Needs YOU!

He actually never got into the business at all, which we've asked him about at least 1 million times since he graduated. He has done some work for CBS Radio the past 3 years on hockey, but that's only because one of his classmates is working for CBS on the full radio package. he assists on the post-game whenever the national game is in Dallas.

As far as his actual career, he came back to Texas after graduation, enrolled at my alma mater UNT to get a teaching certificate, and then took a job as a youth minister with the Presbyterian church. So, in effect, his eduacation in broadcast journalism AND teaching are now going to waste.

Real proud of him, we are.

The really sad thing is that he went to 'Cuse because of the broadcast program.

He's a great guy, though. When he was at 'Cuse they still sold beer inside the Carrier Dome (which I'm not sure they do now). He mentioned that EVERY time I talked to him while he was in school. I think it was what he was most proud of.

Did you go to New Orleans last year for the Finals? He scored tix the day before the game and I couldn't go. I apparently missed one hell of a party.

22. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ArseAm Needs YOU!

It was the same with me. Went to SU due to the broadcast program, then spent the next year and a half looking for a job, only to find zilch. I am working part time at a TV station, but in production, not sports like I wanted.

They still sold beer at the Dome when I went there, with the best part being you could charge them to your student ID! We used to have people come back with trays full of beer during games, making for some interesting post game scenes. (Though not to the level of WVU, I'm afraid!)

Sadly, I also missed the Final Four, due to the fact that I live damn far away from New Orleans and was poor at the time. I heard it was a blast though!