Around MLS 2010: Part 1

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by I_Believe_In_Kreis, Mar 25, 2010.

1. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 2010 season kicking off tonight, I thought it might be time for a thread to discuss MLS games that don't involve RSL.

My prediction for the season opener: As much as Union fans harp about their defense and how it is good enough to keep every game close, I predict tonight they get served a big heaping spoonful of reality to the tune of 3-0 Seattle.

2. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But remember that Seattle's attack was somewhat inept in the second half of the season last year...

I'd also guess that Seattle will win this one. More likely 2-0 or 1-0. It usually takes too long for a new offense to gel (Seattle's first half of last season seems to be an exception to the rule), so I don't see Philly putting one in the back of the net this time.

3. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, I don't see Seattle having a great offensive game. However, good their defense is supposed to see, we will finally get to see Seitz tested in a game. I say 2-0 Seattle.

4. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hopefully they broadcast the game on their new website/matchday live. i signed up for the service and as i understand it they blacked out games on national tv last year. i doubt i am going to be able to watch the game at home tonight with march madness and the blazers game on at the same time. i'd at least like to watch it on my computer.

5. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some how I don't see any of Seattle's games getting blacked out, since they basically sell out their stadium with Season tickets. Can't wait to watch the first game of the year tonight, in HD on epsn! I will check the scores on the tourney games, but my bracket is busted so I don't care as much.

6. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATDHE.net

This website has bailed me out countless times. Now you can enjoy the game!

7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, i was hoping for some sweet crystal clear HD broadcast on the website, at least thats how they advertise it. im tired of poor webcasts on second hand sites. atdhe.net has bailed me out a lot before.

8. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, philly looks like complete crap. doesnt help that they are down a man for a majority of the game. they should be 6 points for us, hopefully we dont lay a stinker on the road there.

9. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cant stand Seattle fans. Their chants are lame.

10. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am one for one so far on predictions!! The second half of that game got pretty lame when Philly couldn't muster up too much of an attack and Seattle just didn't care to really try.

So for my next prediction: Chivas will beat Colorado 1-0
    And RSL will get a good start for a change and win 2-1 at San Jose. :eek:

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the first 10 minutes of that game made it look like Philly was going to do to seattle what seattle did to new york. However, they couldnt hit the broad side of a barn (or they hit the one spot they shouldnt have) and then Seattle puts their first real opportunity away (poor seitz).

I thought the red was a little harsh. Both of his yellows (cant remember his name) weren't exactly hard tackles but rather careless ones. Montero dove like the little bitch he is on the second. Yeah, he got a knee in the back, but the guy goes down if it rains too hard (explains last night). That ruined the game from being anything interesting in the second half. I think Seattle still would have won, but it killed the flow worse then the wet turf did.

The seattle fans had some ok chants. I personally laughed when they did the "can you hear the union sing? no no" chant around the 23rd minute. I was chanting it with my family and we all were curious to see if they would actually do the full chant... they did

12. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm actually hoping that the referees in MLS are consistent with the cards similar to the two the rookie from the Union earned. The 2nd was particularly stupid...no chance to get the ball and clearly raised his knee into Montero's back. Yes, Montero made a meal of it, but if that was Jave on the receiving end, we'd be pissed too.

My biggest hope for MLS this year is that the ref (and players) eliminate the thuggery which still passes for soccer in this league.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they will consistently do it, then I am fine with it. Thats all anyone wants, even if it is tight, so they know where the line is. However, there were instances in that same game where players would go down on much "harder" tackles and the whistle wouldnt even be blown.

All any player will ask of a ref is to be consistent. We can live with it being too tight or too loose, just as long as its consistent

14. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it just me or were those gold shorts terrible? I seriously thought from the normal view that Philly's players weren't wearing any shorts at all.

15. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I thought the Philly kit was pretty ugly myself.

16. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Philly shorts look like the oversized baggies worn in the movie Victory.

Philly's play matched the awful kit. 5 defenders watching on that first goal while Evans runs onto it.

Poor Seitz. He could have a great year and still be hind teat on goals against.

17. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yeah - promising young goalie gets hammered in a season as the starting keeper on an expansion team.

Hopefully, for him, it's the Guzan story not the Countess version.

18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love their jerseys but the shorts were no good. Blue shorts would have looked much better.

19. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I'm with you Balance. I actually like their jerseys... maybe I'm just so glad to see something different than the rest of the MLS jerseys.

20. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell are you guys talking about?! There was a FAR more uglier kit on the field than Philly's!

Union's Kit > Sounder's Kit

21. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    I agree...
    [​IMG] > [​IMG]

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnt get the random light blue line across the chest on the philly kit. That was the only thing wrong with the tops... the bottoms looked like they were playing on a muddy pitch

23. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor going around the web that Man U will be the All Star opponent this year. That sucks that Houston gets Man U and we only had Everton.

24. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah, Everton's first team > Man U less Rooney, Ferdinand, Neville and Carrick

I think the whole Howard vs. Keller ending was very cool indeed.

25. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same. I didn't even go to our all star game, but if Man U comes, I will be in Houston for it.