Arnold is a Big Burly "Bad Behaver"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by John Galt, Oct 2, 2003.

1. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Re: Arnold is a Big Burly "Bad Behaver"

Yeah, sexual assault is no big deal. Dumbass.

Hehehehehe

Are you like the Republican version of Mother Night or something? Seriously.

2. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Jeez, these anti-Arnold people are really trying to pull out all the stops to get whatever dirt they can find on him. I'm beginning to wonder: has Californica taken over Florida in the looniest state competition? What a joke. It's nice to see he is becoming a true politician with the old "I don't remember" and the "I cannot recall" tricks.

As for the Clinton appologists, I guess the Juanita Broderick accusations were meaningless. You see, it doesnt matter what the accusations are. It only matters if the accusations are on the "other" side.

3. DavidPablo

DavidPablo New Member

I was very disturbed by the way Clinton was attacked. It was wrong to attack Clinton too. But lets be fair when we compare the two.

In Clinton's case actual charges were filed against him for harassment, and he actually payed a settlement to Paula Jones, one of his accusers. All we have against Arnold are accusations but never charges or settlements as far as we know. And there is the fact that he is a bigger man than Clinton in admiting at least some wrong doing. Clinton looked at us and lied, so can we believe he didn't do the other stuff? (Having said that, I probably would have done the same in his case) My point is, they are both birds of a feather, but both parties react to them differently. In both cases I think it was dirty politics that motivated the attacks.

I was just as angry with the smear campaign against Clinton. I was so angry at the republican party that I voted for Al Gore. (Well, I would have probably voted for him anyway, but it was a factor.) I hate the uglyness of character assasination regardless of where it comes from.

It is just that I would have expected better from the democrats. But I was wrong. Maybe I am the one who is naive.

4. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    You're not naive, you're optimistic. Unfortunately both sides play the same game. It's called politics.

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Don't worry. The majority of politicians are just out to trick as many people as they can. It doesnt really matter what party they're from. It's up to us to figure out who is the least dishonest of them.

6. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Schwarzenegger has said that he never lived his life to be a politician. It's pretty likely that all of this stuff would come out. How much hay you want to make out of them depends on your own opinions about whether someone who "never lived his life to be a governor" should now be elected governor.

7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it would be fine if it were just drugs and gang-bangs. Hell, everyone should try group-sex at least once.

But this is a guy who has regularly committed sexual battery against women over a course of 25 years (The way he treated Linda Hamilton during the filming of T:2 is pretty much Hollywood legend). The dude's a pervert; I'm not going to give him a free pass because he wasn't running for office.

As for his alleged support of Hitler - I'll believe it when I see it come from someone other than Drudge. I chose not to listen to the guy when he was slandering democrats; the fact that he's changed his target doesn't make him any more reliable as a source.

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the differences between the Clinton and Schwarzeneger accusations is that Paula Jones et al claimed to be harassed by Bill in private situations. It doesn't change the seriousness of the accusation, but it makes it a lot easier to question their validity. There were no witnesses.

In this case, some of the women were assaulted on crowded movie sets. In fact, Arnold often harassed women to get a laugh - he prefers to have an audience. Arnold has had this reputation in Hollywood for a long time. This is not some big secret which has suddenly come to light.

If anyone's wondering why no charges or lawsuits were filed, have you ever heard the phrase, "you'll never work in this town again?"

9. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/03/national/03BOOK.html

The Times is pretty fair with the story. The producer who had the quotes acknowledged a discrepancy as to whether the full Arnold quote ends with a condemnation of "what Hitler did." Again, he was a body builder in the '70's. You should expect some outlandish things to come up. Make your own judgment whether he gets a free pass on prior behavior.

10. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Isn't it really irrelevant what the differences and similarities are? The question is whether Schwarzenegger is competent to be governor.

11. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're absolutely right. I was responding to the question of whether Democrats are practicing a double-standard here. But you make a good point; whether there's a double standard or not has nothing to do with Arnold's competence.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd argue that bringing Clinton into it at all is irrelevant. But from the point of view of a clinical psychologist, doesn't it disturb you in the least that Schwarzenegger felt so compelled to humiliate most of these women in public view? Isn't that a bit, you know, misogynistic and megalomaniacal? Isn't that a big, fat, flashing neon sign that says "Not Fit for Public Office"? I think that was Demosthenes' point.

I read the Times article and still reserve the right to reserve judgement on his alleged admiration of Hitler. I'd like to see the tape, but I suspect that will never happen.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are a bit naive, compatriota. The hatred campaign towards Bush should have tipped you off to the democratic party leadership and their puppets in the media.

Anyway, this Arnold thing should not surprise anybody. After all, he is part of the Kennedy clan.:D

14. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you think a real hatred campaign would have a lot more of, you know, hatred? What we have now is a lot more contempt and exasperation.

The democrats are focusing on Bush's failures as a politician and president, not his failures as a human being (which are freaking myriad).

Rack 'em.

15. DavidPablo

DavidPablo New Member

I don't like the partisan hatred either, but there is a difference. When the issue is war, which is a horrible thing, I can understand the strong feelings. (As you ought to know, Mr. veterano de las Malvinas). And especially when the arguments for the war turned out to be dubious at best.

But when people attack others personally over personal issues it is wrong, especially when it is done with a clear agenda in mind. It doesn't matter if it is Clinton or Schwarzennegger.

And paisano, I might vote for Schwarzennegger, but you will never talk me into ever voting for Bush, I can give you a written garantee and sign it with my own blood.

16. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    Sanctimonious? Try California Penal Code Section 243.4.(a)

"Any person who touches an intimate part of another person... and if the touching is against the will of the person touched and is for the purpose of sexual arousal, sexual gratification, or sexual abuse, is guilty of SEXUAL BATTERY."

Try grabbing the tits of the next strange woman you see. Then you can "slow-dance" to your heart's content with a strange man in an 11' x 13' cell.

Thanks for playing.

17. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    I can't wait for this effen recall to end.

This is just so ridiculous - where is the discussion about Arnold's fitness to lead our largest state out of financial ruin?

I mean does any else find it absurd we aer even talking about this man for Governor????

This whole recall has been nothing but a distraction away from the serious issues challenging California and the nation.

Pathetic really.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The penalty for having partisan hacks bring out old accusations from years past that were never brought up in court and were never proven by a judge beyond a reasonable doubt and which diverge in context and content from what the person accused may have acknowledged, and which were obviously brought up at a particular time with malice and intent to use power to wrongly influence an election is...

...you are condemned to have morons attempt to tarnish your name in the internet.

Thank you for carrying out the sentence, NSlander.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree with you for once. The issue is whether we want a new face, an inexperienced unknown entity. Wheter we want somebody whose views resonate with the people of California and who will change the way business is done in Sacramento, and who will challenge the direction in which the current administration is taking us, (which a lot of us do not like.) To phrase the question in a clear form:

Is, in our estimation, electing Arnold as governor a risk worth taking in order to get rid of Davis and his policies.

My opinion is yes. But I understand and respect those who may dissagree on this issue. I do not respect the slanderers and muck throwers.

20. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no question that these accusations are being brought up now as a political tactic. So it's understandable that you would - and should - question them. Still, I want to reiterate that Arnold has been known for this sort of behavior among Hollywood circles for most of his career. It's inaccurate to characterize this as slander or muck throwing or baseless character smears. Yes, these particular accusations are being publicized now with the obvious intent of smearing Arnold's character, but you are absolutely delusional if you think they are baseless.

When you're bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars for Hollywood, then Hollywood will tolerate a little sexual harassment or even assault. Hell, they'll embrace it. But when you're running for public office, you can't expect the same discretion from your political opponents.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So, to sum things up, I will still attend Arnold's rally in Orange County tomorrow, but I will keep an eye on my girlfriend, and I will make sure that she stays far away from the stage. :D

22. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm just amazed that every President doesn't leave office about 300 lbs. heavier than when they arrived. I mean, having a kitchen that will make you whatever you want 24 hours a day? I can't tell you how many times cheese fries have sounded good at about 3 AM.

23. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Comedy. Like there weren't allegations like this against Clinton? Kathleen Willey and Juanita Broaderick ring any bells? How about Paula Jones?

(Settle down, Clinton-lovers. I said "allegations".)

24. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Translation: Bill Clinton is smarter than Arnold. But we already knew that. How sad to see you split the hair this way. And how typical.

25. jaytee1

jaytee1 New Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ayrshire
    Arnie..a politician. Someone is pulling my plonker!

I am not au fait with U.S. politics..but the idea of Arnie ever getting in as Gov. would send the shits right up me. I mean you cannot be *#*#*#*#ing serious?

If Sean Connery was to run for the Scottish Parliament he would receive a right good kick up the arse, and even he is a more credible candidate.

Man...see 20yrs down the line when Arnie's finger is hoverin' over that big red button, I figure he is not the sort of *#*#*#*# to take a step back and evaluate.

I've seen the films guys......Let's not say we haven't been warned.

P.S. Tony Blair is getting it right up him in the UK, what is the story with Bush?