Arnaud in the Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Captain10, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Arnaud was selected for the Gold Cup, I was neither excited or apathetic about his inclusion -- I was curious about what kind of play he would exhibit and what he would bring to the table.

From my limited viewing of Kansas City games -- mostly only the highlights and a game here and there -- my perception was that Arnaud usually ran hot or cold. I'm sure others that have watched more of his play can provide more input about his consistency.

Until the second half of the Panama game, I thought that Arnaud had done Ok ... good at times ... but nothing to write home about other than his well-taken goal.

HOWEVER, from minute 50 of the Panama game until he was substituted, something flipped a switch in Arnaud and he played some truly inspiring, creative, dynamic, and quality ball! With him and Holden and Beckerman working together -- all at a high level, it truly was a pleasant surprise! He separated his performance from the pack, and it made him stand out.

(Of course, FINALLY abandoning that madenning habit of launching the ball from the back to the forwards and instead playing through the midfield had a tremendous positive impact on our play.)

In those 25 minutes, he was a catalyst for some good, and at time VERY good attacks that created goal scoring chances -- especially his cutting in from the right wing and later splitting two midfielders with a great pass up the left wing to create an opportunity. You could even call that a 'Donovan-like' play! :D

I'm not sure why he was subbed out since he was on top of his game (and in favor of having two big forwards) but my question is this ... was his play in those 25 minutes of the game representative of his normal play? Did he suddently think, "This might be my only chance to impress and I need to take advantage of it"? Or did everything start clicking and he has stepped up to a new International level? Is this his new level of performance? Or was it a 'one-off'? Is he 'Davies-lite'?

Regardless, I have to say that I want to see more of him on the field in the Honduras game -- to see if he can sustain that level and positively impact the game. If he does maintain that quality, he might just factor into qualifying and push for a spot next summer! :eek:

Bring it on Davy ... let's see what you've got!!! :)

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting points. I had really wondered why Arnaud was even selected. Like Jay Heaps, I didn't see any chance of him ever being a 23 man WC roster - even for qualifying.

However, I've been rather impressed with his play. I don't think he's jumped over anyone significant - Ching, Davies or Jozy. However, I'm at least willing to consider him over Cooper at this point. So, he's played himself into the mix. Well done.

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I remember he came in against Sweden, this is maybe 2 years ago, the match in which Dolo got muscled off the ball (again) and scored upon (again) because of bad play (again) and he changed the entire tempo of play for the US.

I thought he did very well, then...nothing.

4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    There backup(s) for the Donovan/Dempsey positions are unsettled - though Holden might be getting a toehold on one of those spots. And, the 4th forward is unsettled. Davy could be making headway on either one of those spots.

Though there is a long list of potentially (to me) intriguing guys to look at for the 4th forward.

5. USA4Life

USA4Life Member

Feb 10, 2002
    I watched Arnaud warmup before the Haiti game. I didn't know who he was because he had on his warmup shirt. In the possession game he had the best touch of the group playing.

After seeing his game jersey I realized who he was and was looking forward to seeing him play. He scored a goal early in the game.

I just don't see him as a forward. He seemed to be playing out of position. He looked to me like a center midfielder than a forward.

He doesn't post very well and he lacks the get away pace. He also didn't really get after it and in the most basic idea, he didn't go to the ball.

6. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    Which side of the midfield would he better at? Is he lefty or righty?

7. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he is left footed, but i believe he can play either side, however, with rogers and holden, and to a lesser extent quaranta, we need arnaud up top in this team

8. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't remember the Dolo plays, but if you remember Davy coming on late, then it was probably a friendly against Brazil. I'm pretty sure that was his only appearance before the Gold Cup. He got sidelined by an injury after that.

He's seen time all over in attacking positions, including a successful stint last year at AM. KC players and coaches were saying that move helped push the team to the playoffs. A while back he had a very good year paired with Wolff up top. He plays more on the right than the left when it comes to playing out wide but could probably fill in wherever and play a similar game. The guy would run through a wall for the USMNT shirt, but I don't know if he'll make the cut.

9. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For various reasons I just got around to watching the second half of the PAnama game. The OP is correct, it was a great second half performance from Arnaud.

10. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arnaud played Division II soccer at West Texas A and M University. Drafted 50th overall by MLS. Wow, he has come a very long way! Props to him for livin the dream.

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    He plays a lot like a Josh Wolff, but can finish.

Some of his strikes from distance are pretty wicked.

If only BB could convert him to left back we'd be in business.