Army Reserve fears troop exodus

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Scotty, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  2. J. Books

J. Books New Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Maryland
    I'd be pissed, too. There's no reason for our Armed Forces to be putting so much pressure on reservists when we have thousands of regular troops doing god knows what and for god knows what reason in Europe, Japan, Korea, Saudi Arabia and wherever else we are not needed or even wanted. At the cost of a few hundred billion a year no less. We could even pay for much of this Iraqi misadventure if we weren't protecting Germany and Japan from...um...who was it?Greenland?

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Aren't we already pulling out of Saudi Arabia? Where will those troops be sent?

4. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We didn't have a that many people in Saudi Arabia and the majority of those assets were Air Force types. The type of people needed in Iraq are of different characterists i.e. boots on the ground.

5. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Frankly, as much as I am against the war, I'm less than thrilled with the attitudes of the National Guard and Reservists. They're happy enough in times of peace to take home $15k or more a year*, GI Bill and other college tuition benefits, medical, PX, commissary and travel privileges ... but then when the shit hits the fan, and the very reason they are on guard in the first place arises, they bitch and moan about being stationed abroad for a year. Did they think they are getting paid that well just so they can load sandbags on the levee when the rivers flood once in a while? Did they think a weekend a month and 2 weeks a year warranted those kinds of benefits?

And as to all the other full-time soldiers stationed around the world, I hardly think it feasible to do a mass re-mobilization and re-organization of our world forces, just to make sure the reservists are kept happy. Whether we should have all those forces spead around is another debate, but I don't think this situation would be the proper reason for moving them.

Edit: It's possible I am wrong on this figure. The website wasn't absolutely clear on whether the pay scale shown was per month or per year. The lowest pay grade receives $1,290. To me, at least, it didn't make sense if this were yearly pay.

6. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've been the reserves and your $15K a year to the majority of reservists is a gross exageration.

As to the moaning, and I can't get you link for this right now, even Rumsfeld has been of record saying that the way reservists are being activated is causing undue hardship on their personal lives. He said something to the effect that all these extended missions that reservists are doing are a misuse of their intended purpose.

7. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Chibchab - See me edit note about pay scale, taken from the Army National Guard recruiting website ( http://www.1800goguard.com/common/images/enlisted_2003-jan.pdf)

After looking around at a couple of state national guard sites, I'm even more confused, because it looks now like this may be the annual salary.

If that's the case - what makes these knuckleheads sign away their lives in time of war for the price of about 2 kegs a month????

8. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, those are annual salaries. Most people who sign up are people who can use the extra money. Those 2K a year pay your kids private grade school, car payment etc. I don't know your social status but for many people who don't easily make ends meet, it's for the extra coin. Also, they look forward to the pension once they turn 65. Even a couple hundred a month make a sizeable difference in some people's budget, especially the elderly.

I joined as a 17 year old looking for extra school money in 1992. I got a $250 dollar check each month I was in college. There's a maximum number of months before you exhaust this benefit. I also benefited by shopping the commisary for groceries. YOu get about a 30% discount comparing to regularly supermarkets. I worked my way through school, so this money assisted me greatly.

The travel benefits for reservists are a crock. You would always get bumped and rarely get a seat on a flight. I, no one I knew in the guard ever bothered to try.

No medical benefits.

When I went to get my second degree the NJ guard did pay for my credits which was a couple grand a semester.

People who are activated take a huge, huge hit to their personal lives when you consider that military wages are a fraction of your regular salary. They suffer great financial burdens when activated.

One other benefit I got which helped greatly was the loan guarantee I was extended when purchasing my home.

I liked my time in the service, I was available to serve my country and though I did what a could on Sept. 11, I was rarely needed for activations. I counted my blessings and parted ways with the Army, honorably.

9. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    I have zero military experience. But a relative who is retired air force bought some clothes for my daughter at the local PX. I was a little disappointed to see that these clothes would have been the same price at the local Wal Mart. Or maybe a little less!

If someone is risking receiving an RPG in the dome, I don't begrudge them taxpayer subsidized beer and baby clothes. Or, heck, they should get the same subsidy even if they are just risking boredom & separation from their families.

But what's to worry about with a troop exodus? The way Bush's spending is Imploding our economy, the only jobs that aren't going to more to Bangalore or Shenzen within the next few months are in the military & at Vivid Video. And the military has better benefits, I'm guessing.

10. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was never convinced about savings at the PX (Post Exchange) like you said, some things are cheaper at regular retail stores.

11. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Fair enough. As for the side benefits, I remember as a kid life in commisaries, PXs, and base hospitals, but never got to travel on military transport. I guess at some point, the salary is worth it, especially with tuition benefits and pension. But for the lowest pay scale, $1,290, is it really worth it? $107.50 a month? I mean, I'm not trying to be "elitist", I'm just questioning the financial incentives. You could earn that much mowing a few lawns.

12. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, if you need that money I guess you do what you gotta do and perhaps you can question the wisdom, given the real risk.

I think the reserves are geared for poor, young people looking to fund their education. The $250 GI bill money and $200 drill pay each month, for one weekend's time, really got me through some lean years, not that I live in the lap of luxury now...

13. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bring back the penal batallions!!!!!

14. CrewDust