Argies come cheaply

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerSmack, Aug 31, 2007.

1. SoccerSmack

SoccerSmack New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Draper, UT
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2007/08/mls_salary_updates.html

Goff is reporting the salaries of our new Argentinian players:

These are remarkably good deals, all things considered. That $650k figure floated around was sure a bit inflate. While I was happy with their play on Wednesday, at these figures, it looks like we got a decent deal, and now have a ton of money left over for next year.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy cow, if these are the real numbers and the local press was way high - with how much we've improved and how much cap space remains, color me incredulous at the prospect.

3. SoccerSmack

SoccerSmack New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Draper, UT
    I believe the local press were quoting figures given to them by Trey FU. If there is one guy that has it right, it would be Goff, he compiles the figures annually for the Washington Post, and always seems to be right on things like this.

4. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
  5. SoccerSmack

SoccerSmack New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Draper, UT
    I read that to mean that the figures given were the annual salaries, based on Denilson being $872k, and reportedly much higher next year. So, the figures are annual salaries, but the amounts they will be receiving this year, or their pay out, is significantly less than listed.

6. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    These guys are an effen' steal!!!!

Let's go get some more where they came from!!!!

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm fairly certain that the numbers he listed are what they get paid THIS season, which is only a portion of what their salary will be next year. Just like any new signing in MLS after the July 1st salary date, their salaries are pro-rated for the year and will be adjusted accordingly the following season.

8. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    (emphasis mine)

I think he's saying that the annual salaries are as listed, so the players actually got less this season. (I know some have already pointed this out earlier in the thread, but it still seems to be a point of confusion.)

9. SoccerSmack

SoccerSmack New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Draper, UT
    Yes, the figures listed are annual salary figures, however, they are for 2007 and we have no idea what the contract looks like, or even if there is one for 2008.

10. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So what are we doing with all that extra cap space? Maybe we'll see a DP after all?

I have it on good authority from the little elves who live in my brain that Zidane parachuted into Salt Lake under the cover of night and will announce his signing to a team at a press conference in 13 minutes.

11. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Prime? How much cap space do we have left?

12. Check out the highlights of the Argentina v. Costa Rica U-17 World Cup game. You'll recognize the goals scored by Gaston SAURO. We ought to keep an eye on that youngster...

http://www.fifa.com

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm away from my comp that has my stats. When I figured when the Argentines signed, I figured full amount which I think was around $350k still being free. If the Argies are only getting paid what Goff is reporting for 07 then the free space will probably be around $700k still free for RSL THIS YEAR.

14. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Maybe someone should let Kreis in on this piece of information...

15. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    DP for this year? Or the team making sure they have flexibility in the off-season for next year.

16. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Kreis needs to dip into the Argentine market again post haste. By my count, we have one more SI spot to fill and at least one other SYI spots to fill (I think someone on here said we permanently traded away our third SYI spot [hard to believe, I know!]).

So, with at least two other International spots available and $700K to burn, Kreis should get the agent for the recently signed three Argies on the phone and get some more trialists up here!

Additionally, Kreis should send Atiba packing and open up another SYI spot, thereby creating three vacant International spots. It is very difficult for me to conceive that Kreis is set on occupying one of his precious and scarce International spots with the likes of Atiba. Inconceivable!

Kreis could easily get three more Argentines for another measly $250K and still have over $400K to burn on some better domestic players!!! (think: Cutler, C.Brown, and Jack Stewart).

17. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"I do not think that word means what you think that word means"

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

18. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, I do agree with most things you said.

19. SoccerSmack

SoccerSmack New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Draper, UT
    I found a few instance wheres we traded away YI spots:

1. To Chivas for John Stewart - 2005 year only
    2. NYRB's second round superdraft pick - 2006 year only

If someone knows of another one, please point me to the source.

We also received a YI slot from KC along with Klein, but I can't find any note that says if it is permanent or not (my guess is that it is for 2006 only).

Right now, our roster has 3 SIs (new argies) and one SYI (Atiba), so we still have room for 1 more SI (technically, Espindola could be a SYI, as he is only 22) and 2 more SYI, so three total.

Part of the problem is that we can only have 10 DEV players on the roster, and a SYI counts as a DEV player. Right now, we have 11 DEV players on the roster, though Duke is out for the season, so he does not count. My guess that is why Espindola is listed as an SI rather than an SYI, so that RSL did not have to cut one of the DEV players. So really, we only have one one SI slot open, unless we cut someone.

The fact that two weeks ago, we had 7 international slots available (last year, we had 2 extra SYI we didn't use either), with only Atiba using one of them hardly indicates that the slots are "precious and scarce".

My guess is we won't see another SI until next year, hopefully sometime before the season starts.

Definitely release Atiba just to open up a slot we will never use this year. We should have released him last year so we had all 5 open "just in case".

20. Phathead

Phathead Member

May 22, 2007
    I'm just happy we have these guys around next year (from what you're saying).

21. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Wait, is this correct? First of all it was reported that we permanently traded a YI spot https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12365669&postcount=39 . Also, doesn't each team only get 3 SI's and 3 YI's? If so, then we only have 1 YI open currently - 3 Argentines in SI spot, 1 YI traded, and Atiba taking the 2nd YI spot.

22. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You have to love the argentines.

can 12-12-6 42 be far behind.

South Americans know how to play soccer better than europeans

23. SoccerSmack

SoccerSmack New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Draper, UT
    Sorry, I missed one. From what I can tell, RSL did trade away one of their SYI spots to Colorado for Gregorio.

You can see the MLS rules here about International players.

So, we have one SI spot and one SYI spot available, with Espindola capable of moving from an SI to an SYI if needed.

FYI, I found that in the Klein trade, we only got a 2006 SYI spot, it was not permanent.

24. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    FYI the mls players union has updated numbers on their web site. For those, the word in Denver is that Osorno and Sanneh's numbers there reflect what they would get paid for a season. FOr example they list $60,000 for Sanneh but the checks he is getting are pro-rated so he's getting $25k for the rest of the season. So the Argies published numbers are, I would assume, reflect what they would get for an entire season but are pro-rated when it comes to the check that comes in the mail.

25. Remus

Remus New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    SLC
    Here is the link to the players union site for ease of reference... http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html