Argentinos in England (R)

Discussion in 'Argentinos Abroad' started by soccer krazy, Jun 30, 2008.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Congrats Albiceleste. When was the last time you were in the Premier League?

Also, is there a club you would compare Watford to in Argentina? I am curious about the club

robledo and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  2. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't be Gaucho. ;) And thank you for your congratulations. You should have been there. I was suicidal then 30 seconds later I could fly... that is football.

We are a small club. Probably someone like Arsenal de Sarandi ?

Most of our life since 1881 has been in the lower reaches but ever since 1979 we have been in the top 2 divisions here. Town on the outskirts of London has a population of 80000 so a 20000 crowd is not too bad. Although at the moment one stand is derelict so capacity is only 18000 down from 25000.

We've been in Europe, reached an FA Cup final , often upset many big teams, were the first to have a community football program, family seating and promote black players as well as not being violent. 1970's here were riddled with gang violence at football matches.

And now searching for this £110M prize. The amount of money is staggering. The EPL is not the best in the world technically but it is the richest.

Forestieri who really is a lovely guy. Still finds the language difficult but is a cult figure here. I think he is like a enthusiastic child often in the most affectionate terms possible. And Battochio has shown moments of real class.

Both I think though know they won't feature for Argentina and they said that in interviews. We'd lov to play for Argentina but it is unlikely.

Nando is #41 and Cristian #38 in this video. Some excellent goals and assists:

We might get Alan Ruiz and Gino Peruzzi if Udinese do purchase those players.

By the way Gaucho did you ever hear of a player called Santiago Aloi. He was a River Plate youth player who was here in 2005/6. I looked him up but can find no records. He never played for us and I am not sure he was even a River Plate player.

It's great my two favourite clubs are on the way up again...... :)

3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Arsenal de Sarandi is Grondona's team! Trust me, you don't want to be like them! They also don't have as many fans as you do! They get like 500 per game, no joke!

I don't have an english team i follow, but i do hope to find one. are you a member/ticket holder?

4. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We are nothing like Arsenal de Sarandi and our chairmen nothing like the mafioso either. ;)

We do not have members as such Gaucho. The system in England is different from the Argentine one where supporters as socios or indeed the dreaded gangs influence decisions at the club.

We have little real say barring a token presence on the board. But we have a supporters groups who try and lobby the club not in terms of business but for better facilities and that sort of thing.

I own a season ticket £360 (online you get a discount) for 23 games which is good value and especially this season. Some seasons I have not bought a ST but just turn up on the day.

There are cheaper prices for the elderly, students and children and if you live far away beyond 75 miles you also get a 15 game ticket with a discount to help with costs of petrol.

We are taking 35000 fans to Wembley tomorrow and you can watch us on ESPN. This is Cristian and Fernando being interviewed about the game on Monday. Cigar-City might like to know both are still Newell's fans and their favourite players are Luca Bernardi and Nacho Scocco.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/vid...s?id=deportes:1808760&startTime=00:00&cc=7586

Also Kun Aguero signed a new contract with Manchester City.

5. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mauro Boselli has left Wigan to join Club Leon in Mexico.

LGRod repped this.
  6. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Remember the wonderkid Gerardo Bruna ?

Released last week by Blackpool....... Battochio has signed for us on a four year deal.

7. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Manchester City are set to sign Bruno Zuculini from Racing Club. He will remain with Racing for another season.

8. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The great forward Franco di Santo has joined Werder Bremen from Wigan Athletic. Pablo Osvaldo has joined Southampton.

With Willian signing for Chelsea Tottenham may step up their interest in Lamela.

9. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lamela promising debut. Too short to make any real difference but he has confidence.

Pastore may come to Arsenal if Mata goes to PSG. Pastore struggling at PSG.

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Do you have highlights of his first match with Spurs?

11. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sorry amigo I do not. Suffice to say he played just fifteen minutes.

Put in a couple of dangerous balls into the box and made some nice if easy passes and did not try t get too heavily involved in any physical challenges. Understandable as it his first experience of English football

He did make one tackle and won the ball but he looked a little lost . This is also understandable. He only arrived on the Thursday with a medical on Friday and very little time to train with his team mates.

And several of those are also newcomers so it may take some time for him to settle. But he was happy to receive the ball.

I think Tottenham will play him centrally as opposed to the wing in his natural role. And I hope he does a better job in progressing with the responsibility than Pastore has shown recently. Flaco has disappointed this season. Erik I think is a different project and will get better and better.

He already has quite a few female fans......

12. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Erik is also a PES fan. Good boy. :)

13. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    lol he looks like a girl
    no wonder osvaldo bitch slapped him

14. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apparently according to Gianluca Nani head of footballing operations we nearly signed Iturbe over the summer. Just a few minor contract issues otherwise he would have been playing for us instead of Verona. Never mind.

15. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Southampton versus Manchester City last week must have been a record number of Argentines together on the pitch for an EPL game.

Gazzaniga, Osvaldo on one side Aguero, Zabby and Dimi on the other.

Damian Martinez the young keeper has joined Sheffield Wednesday on loan from Arsenal London. He really needs to get first team football at a higher level ASAP.

Pipiolo repped this.
  16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hear Damian Martinez might be on his way to Sheffield Thursday.

17. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hehe SM. They are named Wednesday as when they were originally a cricket and football club back in the 1860's they used to play matches on a Wednesday.

18. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Erik Lamela has the talent and ability to go the whole way in the game. People have been critical of his performances so far but one has to remember he is in a country where he is still learning the language and the footballing culture is different more physical and frenetic.

Players like Bale struggled similarly for a long while at Tottenham but Erik has already shown more than enough that he has everything needed to succeed. He just needs to be given time to acclimatize. It is no surprise his better performances have been in the EL games where the pace is slower.

Have no fear he is a real talent and will make his mark sooner or later.

19. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Robert Pires, struggled and he was 26 when he came to England. As someone who follows teams in both England and Italy it is a big jump; in both quality and style.

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Do you feel he should make it to the NT squad for next summer? Right now the attacking starters are set barring injury: Messi, DiMaria, Aguero and Higuain, and Lavezzi and Maxi are set as substitutes. That leaves two or at most three spots left, and Alvarez is making a strong case for himself to be in the final squad, he is peaking at the right moment. Palacio appears to be a favorite of Sabella, even if it appears he is only a good club player but not quite capable of a great level with Argentina. So it could be one or the other, or both if Sabella feels like taking only seven defenders. I myself would take Lamela, a young rising player, over Palacio, and of course I would prefer a established superstar like Tevez over either, but that's not happening unfortunately, we'll have to see who Sabella takes in the final squad.

21. robledo

robledo Member

Dec 5, 2000
    Seoul /Tokyo / U.K
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Jonas Gutierrez has moved to Norwich on loan for the season. Not been the same player since the 2011/2012 season, lost his pace and doesn't take on players like before but still appreciated by Newcastle fans for his loyalty and commitment. Good luck to him.

22. robledo

robledo Member

Dec 5, 2000
    Seoul /Tokyo / U.K
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Santiago Vergini has signed for Sunderland on loan from Estudiantes.

Scocco rumoured to be interesting both Sunderland and Cardiff now

23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Vergini, Ustari, and maybe Scocco too? Seems Sunderland is trying to rebuild their squad with Argentines..

24. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    By signing Ustaria, all they're doing is assuring they'll be rebuilding in the B of England. What a muerto