Argentines who play for other national teams: would they make Argentina's squad?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If a player is qualified to play for a particular national side and he wants to and gets called up then that is fine with me. After all Argentina itself is a nation of immigrants is it not?

You can't blame Paletta, he was never going to be called up by Argentina so why not take this opportunity, it's might very well be the only one he gets to go to a world cup.

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

No one is blaming Paletta.. quite the contrary, we're laughing at Italy for having to call up a player like him.

LGRod repped this.
  3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looks like Paletta made the Italy 30 player list.

LGRod repped this.
  4. Arg10

Arg10 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And Osvaldo didn't.

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Osvlado has scored something like 2 or 3 goals this year, he didn't deserve to go.

6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Besides Pablo Hernandez, Gustavo Canales made it in Chile's list. I'm surprised.. he's pretty damn horrible.

I guess hes always done good in the Chilean league, but when he had to face tougher rivals playing for River and Arsenal in our league, he was absolute shit.

What's even more surprising is that they're taking him over Suazo. :confused:

SupaMario repped this.
  7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Has Italy really lost the ability to produce native born defenders? Gaby while a solid player never reached the level I thought he would coming off the U20 tournament. Honestly I'm okay with the central defending options we have but it's the wings that scare the hell out of me. If ALL our defenders focus on staying back then we should be okay.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL! I haven't kept up with Paletta's career. He always seemed to have some potential, but he was an extreme rústico. He must have improved one hell of a lot since I last saw him play to be able to make Italy's team.

9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, Paletta never made much of an impact in Argentina, I guess the Italians saw something in him that they liked.

10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So it appears Mauro Zarate has changed his mind and has decided to accept a call-up to the Chilean NT, after realizing that he is waaay behind in the pecking order for Argentina

http://www.ole.com.ar/futbol-internacional/america/Roja-Mauro_0_1239476276.html

Of course he would have had to continue waiting for a call-up, but I wouldn't say he was completely ruled out for Argentina -- at least if he maintained his form from earlier this year.

He should be ahead of Palacio now that Sabella is gone, Tevez is back on the team but will be 34 by the time the WC comes around, Lavezzi has been dropped from the squad (at least for the moment), and Higuain/Aguero still have to redeem themselves. He could have snuck his way in eventually, like Lamela or Gaitan.

Oh well, his choice.. The dumbass should have just gone to the Brazil with them...

SupaMario repped this.
  11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I still like Zarate, I think he would've been an effective sub. He waited and waited. I'll tell you what, Chile got a bit better.

His oldest brother Sergio Raton, always cracked me up.

[​IMG]

:ROFLMAO:

locoxriver repped this.
  12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ulloa appears to have accepted a call to Chile as well.

13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So, looks like Vazquez(Of Palermo and formerly of Belgrano) might end up playing for Italy. He came out and said, it is difficult to play for Argentina, he said if Conte calls him, then he would say yes.

14. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Didn't you say his Mom was Italian? If so why not and good for him.

The real question here is italy... I've seen Vazquez in person, and I never thought of him as a crack, just a serviceable to above average primera division player for teams like Belgrano and that like. I never imagined him in a NT, neither Argentina nor Italy, or even playing in a big team.

I have a lot of affection towards italy, and i think they need to be worried... Their 3 best players are still the same 3 guys who won them the world cup 9 years ago, Pirlo, Buffon, and Totti. Where is the new Baggio? The new Del Piero? Because one thing is for sure, Ballotelli is a complete fraud

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Indeed his mother was born in Italy, I believe in Padova, not sure where she grew up though. Vazquez has improved since those days of playing in Argentina, he has impressed a lot, every single time I watched him play, he has played well. His partnership with Dybala is quite nice. If you saw him 4 years ago or so, you should watch him now. Had a wonderful run earlier this season(links below) and scored a wonderful chip goal. Has 5 goals and 5 assists so far, he is always a part of the Palermo attack, when they threaten, he is a big part of it.

I don't have much of an issue with him jumping ship, he knows his chances for us is limited, but the way he has played this season might merit a call up. But again, space is so limited, what can he do? I don't have too much of a problem with first generation players playing for another country, i.e. Rossi. I just don't like the aspect of having 1 great-grandmother that was born in so and so. They need to close that loophole, first generation and that is it.

Italy just isn't developing the attackers that they once were(Or defenders? I mean seriously, taking Paletta to the World Cup?) and Conte doesn't seem to care. He will call up anybody who has a great-grandmother who was born in Italy(even for a couple hours) and that he can play. They have Insigne who isn't bad, Immobile who has yet to make an impact on the Bundesliga. Its a shame that a country with history for the game, and 4 world cup's would look to South American's as a sense of help. They do have a young Argentino who has represented them in the U17 level in Jose Mauri who is promising. I have caught only a single game of his and he had talent but again, just a single game, and going off reports. Plays for Parma right now.

Centauro del Norte repped this.
  16. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Matías Nahuel is a promising young footballer that plays for Villarreal. Yet another Argentine talent born in Rosario. He moved to Spain at the age of 14, just like Messi, Cartabia, Icardi, etc...

He was called to the Spain U19 national team last year. He's had some appearances with the first team of Villarreal scoring some goals in the Europa League and Copa del Rey. His football idol is Carlos Tevez.

SupaMario repped this.
  17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, I've read about him, but only time will tell. There are plenty of players that pop out of nowhere. They do not necessarily have to be a crack to become a good player. Playing for a Sub team for any country, even a high-profile country does not mean much for the progress of your career. Gerardo Bruna, played for Spain's U17 side, and I believe even our U20 team has vanished. This is a kid who was in the Real Madrid youth system and then moved to Liverpool when he got a bit older. Then after playing for Blackpool, went to Spain's 3rd division, then 3rd division in England and now plays for a team called Whitehawk FC(Which appears to be a 5th division team in England). Pretty sad if you ask me.

locoxriver repped this.
  18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL.. Bruna.. I knew he had fallen off, but all the way to a 6th-tier team?? God damn, how is that even possible?

Not only did he play for Real Madrid's youth teams for five years, but he was even offered a professional contract there :eek::eek::

Real Madrid are furious with Liverpool for signing Argentinian youngster Gerardo Bruna after offering the 16-year-old a contract at the Bernabeu.

Bruna turned down a professional deal with the Spanish club having spent three years at Real to sign a three-year deal to join Rafael Benitez's squad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2325842/Real-Madrid-slam-Liverpool-for-Bruna-signing.html

SupaMario repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was reading the rest of the article, and it looks like his youth coach was spot on about his future:

The teenager's decision has surprised Real youth coach Michel who has said that the youngster will regret joining Liverpool when he fails to make the breakthrough.

He said: "How many young players taken by Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal have actually played for their first team? They sign the boy to a contract, make all sorts of promises and then put him in their reserves and never give him a competitive game."

SupaMario repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is very sad, given all the promise in the world and they forget about you. You cannot develop in England, it's not a country where they develop their kids. Just look at their national team or sub teams, all terrible. Their best players in their league are foreign, the same goes for their managers. They need to just buy kids and loan them out.

And speaking of England not really building players and quitting on players.

Last summer, for example, a young Argentinian striker by the name of Facundo Ferreyra arrived on loan from Shakhtar Donetsk for the season. Ferreyra, 23, has yet to play and on Monday one source at the club described him as one of the worst players ever seen at this level.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nts-swap-Newcastle-United-Crystal-Palace.html

I mean, you have to be kidding me. I did reports that he wasn't progressing well in England, but that is something else.

21. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL the english papers criticizing Ferreyra, meanwhile Jonas Gutierrez was a mainstay and is an idol to the fans... Look, I get Jonas was sick- many props and i am so happy that he overcame his sickness, cancer has hurt almost everyone's family including mine, but Jonas is a terrible footballer with no technical ability. Ferreyra meanwhile is a very gifted player with a huge skill set... Please no one take this the wrong way, I am 100% in support of Jonas in his recovery, but you can't mix personal shit with football and Ferreyra technically is 10x better than jonas, who for large parts of his career was incapable of even controlling a ball, yet they call the worst player they've seen, while jonas was a big part in Newcastle going to the B a few years ago.

BMxJoga, Moishe and SupaMario repped this.
  22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wonder what will happen if both Tata and Conte calls. I'm sure he'll play for Argentina as he has said he knows it will be difficult to play for Argentina. But, it is clear he is trying to make a push. No problem. He has been playing very well at Palermo. 6 goals and 6 assists in the Serie A , he will be on the move for sure. I'd be a shame if they do make the EL and they sell all their big players.

http://tn.com.ar/deportes/desafios/...mucho-jugar-para-la-seleccion-italiana_565502

23. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Goal.com had an interesting article regarding some of the players that could play for Italy, if Conte moved quickly and offered them a spot. There are a bunch of Argentinean players, of course. The list is a bunch of young guys that would be in the mix for future plan, and its now reaching a level that FIFA should get involved and stop this sh#t;

Paulo Dybala (21 years old)
    Diego Perotti (26 years old; has played for Argentina NT but only for 2 friendlies)
    Jose Mauri (18 years old; has already played for U-17 Italy)
    Ezequiel Munoz (24 years old; has played for U-17 Argentina & U-20 Argentina)
    Joaquin Correa (20 years old)
    Luciano Vietto (21 years old; U-20 Argentina)

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/7179...tto-italys-next-possible-oriundi?ICID=HP_BN_6

The article states that all these players are available to play for the Italian NT b/c they have duo-citizenship and have not played an official match for the Argentina NT.

Clearly the jewels in the list are Paulo Dybala and Luciano Vietto; who are young and well on their way to establishing themselves. Jose Mauri and Joaquin Correa are interesting. Not too concerned about losing Diego Perotti or Ezequiel Munoz.

Pipiolo repped this.
  24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dybala has already made it clear he wants to play for Argentina and not for Italia. Vietto plays in La Liga, it would be pathetic if Conte travels to Spain to ask Vietto to come and play for the Azzurri. Might as well come to Argentina and begin to poach players from the primera.

Perotti, I can see switching over, he voiced his opinion in the past about not being called up. Jose Mauri who I have seen a game or two with Parma is an interesting prospect, he has played for them at the Sub level. If we give him a call for the U20 tournament who knows. Correa, I don't see him just switching over just like that, and again it would look sad on their part to cap a player who just arrived to Italia. I believe Muñoz will be moving to Milan in the summer, the deal with Palermo did not happen in time, but I believe there is a so-called gentleman's agreement that he will move from La Samp to Milan. He's been in Italy for a few years now, but he is still young enough to be called up. Does he fit in Tata's plan? I don't know, I haven't seen enough of him to say he merits a call, then again Funes Mori got called up, so who knows.