Argentines who play for other national teams: would they make Argentina's squad?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. EnglishBostero

Mar 21, 2011
    Accrington
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is he related to guillermo?

2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    no guillermo's twin brother is named gustavo he is a coach at olimpia in paraguay

he also played for boca and gimnasia amongst other teams

3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  5. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Well, if this were england, and camo were English, we'd be hearing quite a bit how Mauro "is not that type of player.. " :cool:

If any of you have heard Camoranesi give an interview, were you as shocked as i was how insightful and eloquest he is? I presumed he was not a ariculate as he was/is ..

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He just did not have patience. I think he felt upset when Palacio and Denis were called up and he did didn't in the first round of the qualifiers. The italianos jumped all over it and called him shortly after this. I think Sabella would of called him down the road, but I hope he is happy with his choice, probably still wants to play for the selección since he is talking about it. Oh well, hope he is happy with his choice.

7. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was listening to The World Football Phone Podcast yesterday and a caller asked about why Daniel Osvaldo did not get the chance to play for the NT. Vickery answered the question. He stated that for a player from Argentina or Brasil that wants to play for the NT, he must be known in the country and have some playing time in the Primera which he never did. He also stated that we have players that are similar to him.

But going back to the point where he stated that they have to had to play in the Primera, I have to somewhat agree. Yes, there is a certain kid that went to Barcelona at 13 and now is from another planet. There are those that we risk selling at a young age and we may not see again, ever. Former Liverpool player(More of the 2nd team) Gerardo Bruna played with Spain's U16 team or so, and it wasn't until Mascherano discovered him and gave some of our officials a call to look at him. Now Bruna has not turned out to be anything really great but again this is the risk that we take when our clubs sell some of the pibes at an early stage. Sometimes he will have no choice but to leave because of economic reasons and that is understandable.

We all know Osvaldo's first choice was La Selección and had to decide to for with Italia after being neglected from Sabella's first list. Again Osvaldo was not Messi or a player that we would need. I think somebody like Tino Costa who also did not play in the Primera(Who actually went to the Caribbean 9 years ago) could make it to the NT without being a known figure back home.

Let me clarify something, I do not care losing players to other countries, it's the nature of the game for some countries.

11. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was reading an article about Ezequiel Schelotto(who now has officially played for Italy at senior level). He was a product of Banfield and wanted to play for Argentina. He moved to Italy to start his club career. He said Batista continued to ignore him at the U20 level, and when Italy called, seeing Batista was not looking at him he said yes. He said his idol is Zanetti(also a Banfield product) and they exchanged text messages. Nice little read.

http://codigobanfield.blogspot.com/2010/10/te-acordas-ezequiel-schelotto-un-galgo.html

I can't fault the kid, we all know where all of these players hearts are at but if they get a chance to play for some national team, they normally take it since they believe they will continue to be ignored.

13. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Trezeguet would have been good for Argentina, although he would have to have fought with Batistuta and Crespo for a starting spot. He was equally as good as them.

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who was as equally as good as Bati? Trezeguet? Come on.... I even have a hard time accepting you said Crespo. He did plenty for France, and just came up in the wrong time for Argentina. Bati was still around and Crespo was coming up. Trezeguet ended getting a World Cup and scoring the golden goal in the Euro Final. He would of always been a backup, would of been a much better backup for Crespo than a certain Julio Cruz(Who actually hit for a bunch of goals that year in the Serie A) but he would of only made the 06 and maybe 2010 sides. He went on to play for France in 98,02,06 and retired in 08 because of eternal problems within the French team(mostly the manager).

LaFuriaNolan repped this.
  15. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Their really wasn't that much of a difference between them all. They all have similar records.
    I would say Batistuta was slightly better than Crespo and Trezeguet but not by much. He should have retired from the national team in 98.

They all had amazing shooting ability from all angles.

16. LaFuriaNolan

LaFuriaNolan Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Montréal
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Facundo Roncaglia has been saying he wants to play for Italy. He's actually looked a lot better in Serie A than I was expecting, Argentina could actually use him.

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would be surprised if he actually did play for them. He did not leave Argentina that long ago. I could only imagine, Daniel Osvaldo, Schelotto and now Roncaglia? Plus isn't Motta playing for them as well? But seriously, I think Roncaglia just wants a call up from the selección, he was just playing for Boca. It's not like he is a unknown like the others who decided they couldn't make the cut and play for the Italianos.

18. LaFuriaNolan

LaFuriaNolan Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Montréal
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree and I'm pretty sure he's just making threats to get a call up but he's already said it to the media a few times that he hopes Prandelli calls him up. Odd since he's only been in Italy for a few months, though he has the ancestry (and therefore the passport) and is very popular among fans in Florence.

19. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    How are guys like Trezeguet and Camoranesi thought of back in Argentina? Are they considered traitors? Or not good enough to have played for Argentina?

How do Italians feel about all of these Argentinians playing on their team? I'm sure the player's ancestory is quite distant like great grandparents. Not like Giuseppe Rossi whose parents are from Italy.

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nah, there is no ill will towards these players. Camoranesi has always said that Argentina is his home, and did not sing the Italian anthem even yelled para los pibes del barrio(or something like that) when he won a WC. Same with Trezeguet, no ill will towards him either. They honestly know where their home is. Were they good enough to play for Argentina? Yeah, probably but likely as subs. Mauro would of been a backup to Maxi in 06, who Maxi gave us 3 goals in that WC, and one to remember vs Mexico. And David would be a backup for Crespo in that WC, probably could play in 02 as well, and again maybe 2010, maybe.

How do the Italians feel about it? Cesare Maldini clearly does not like it when he did not want any more "oriundi" on their national team. They seem fine with it, as long as they produce the goods for them. For me, I think it's a bit strange for them to use players like Motta,Osvaldo and a few others. They have a population of 60 million people and have 4 stars on their shirt, be a little more proud then that. Taking neglected players from Argentina and Brasil... I don't know, whatever works for them. You should ask their fans how they feel about it.

But going back on former players who played for others and how they are viewed. There have been others like Pizzi who played for Span and I recall he even scored against us but refused to celebrate in a friendly. There is Fabbro who plays for Paraguay who was born in Argentina who celebrated on us when he scored a penalty, I didn't really like that too much. Stuff like this a lot fans will remember. There was Lucas Barrios who played for Paraguay as well, he was dying to play for Argentina and told how he will wait and how his heart beats for Argentina. Then Paraguay called him, had a mother who was from Paraguay and he handed over his citizenship just like Fabbro(Paraguay does not accept duel-citizenship). I mean you would have to kill me before I hand over my passport.

21. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The thing with Italy is that they have always had a foreign born player when they won the World Cup.

When they won 2 world cups in the 1930s they had quite a few Argentinians on their team like Luis Monti. In 1982 Claudio Gentile was born in Libya and they had another player who was born in England or Scotland in the squad.
    In 2006 they had Camoranesi. So it's nothing new for them.they even gave a cap to Amauri who has no Italian ancestors.

There's been plenty of players who were born and raised in one country and played for another country to which they have no ancestoral links. Famous players include:
    Di Stefano - Colombia and Spain.
    Eusebio - Portugal
    John Barnes - England
    Desailly - France
    Deco - Portugal
    Pepe - Portugal

22. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is no ill feelings towards them at all.. Trezeguet gave us the ascenso do you really think anyone cares that he played for France? It is an honor to have a world cup winner playing for us after so many years... I believe the last one was Passarella when he retired in 1989

Also, when River played Racing earlier this season it was he first time since the 1930s that 2 world cup winners from europe had faced each other in a league match in argentina...

Also an interesting fact that when River played Colon earlier this season the two captains were European born in Trezeguet and Moreno y Fabienesi... I'd love to know the last time to argentine clubs faced each other with european born captains

23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    BTW you forgot el Guille Franco who played for Mexico... He played for Velez just for one season... He probably got treated much more poorly than David or Camoranesi... Its like, there is a lot of pride towards those two guys. They probably wouldn't have played for Argentina, but they both won a world cup, good for them. Now when you have guys going to play for Mexico or even worse, Paraguay like Ortigoza or Santana... Yea then they're going to hear it from the fans

Most of us Argentinos are european to begin with, and according to the italian constitution, all people directly descended from a native italian are considered italian.

You know, I possess two passports, USA and Argentina and if you asked me to choose a country I wouldn't be able to, but in futbol obviously argentina... However, if i were a talented futbol player, i'd have no problem playing for the USA, just like many other argentinos... Claudio Reyna's dad was argentine, Marcelo Balboa's parents were argentine, and pablo mastroeni was born in Mendoza but he played for the US in 2 world cups... There is no animosity towards these people at all. If anything, its only towards argentine born players who choose to play for paraguay, but this plays into the racism that exists in argentine futbol more than anything... And if you play for mexico, you're mainly just seen as a vende patria who played for mexico because of the money like el Guille

24. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In 1934 Luisito Monti,Atilio Demaria,Enrique Guaita and Raimundo Orsi all starred for Italy when they won the Mundial.The tanos also used a Uruguayan and Brasilian so expecting a little nation to have pride is naive.Demaria scored in the semi final and Orsi in the final.
    Incredibly both Monti and Demaria played the 1930 World cup for Argentina when they reached the final and Orsi the olimpic final in 1928.Guaita was hardly off the boat from Estudiantes when the Italian DT Pozzo had him in the sqaud even though he had played two intyernationals for the Albiceleste in 1933.
    Renato Cesarini would have been in the 34 Italian squad as well but being a free spirit he fell out with the dictatorial Pozzo