Argentines who play for other national teams: would they make Argentina's squad?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  2. butterfly

butterfly Member

Jun 6, 2008
    yeah that makes me personally want to strangle camoranesi.

3. butterfly

butterfly Member

Jun 6, 2008
    btw, isn't that yound kid playing for italy's un20 dellafiore an argentine native?

4. butterfly

butterfly Member

Jun 6, 2008
    i would say argentina players are extremely popular in asia.

5. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yes, but his parents moved back to Italy when he was 4. So it's not really an oriundo case. don't even know if he holds also argentinian citizenship.

Generally speaking, it's easy for argentinians to get italian citizenship given that italian citizenship is based on blood (ius sanguinis). That is a way for Italy to show that we didn't forget about our emigrants and the door is open for them to get back if they want/need to. Actually Italy allows dual citizenship so it's not like they are forced to renounce their argentinian citizenship while enjoying the benefits of italian citizenship (and EU citizenship).

Of course this attitude leads to few cases where the italian heritage is so strongly felt that the dual citizenship players have no problem to represent Italy even though they still feel the attachment to Argentina. They're like perfect dual citizens.

Camoranesi is a case where the player felt unfairly ignored by Argentina, that's not the case for the young dual citizens who chose to represent Italy (Osvaldo, Forestieri), I guess they went with the NT of the country they think their future life will be based.

6. butterfly

butterfly Member

Jun 6, 2008
    yes i think so as it was shown on the Inter website. personally i can accept him representing Italy.

7. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I would understand for a young kid 4 years old moves to another country and then wants to play that country but its hard for me to accept a 16 year old or 20 year old turn its back on its country and playing for another one.

prime sample is Geusippe Rossi from the USA the kid grew up in the USA when to high school and then he decides to play for Italy. were is the loyalty for your country?

8. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I think the reason Argentina capped Lavezzi was to make sure he wasn't another "Camoranesi case". But its hard to really complain if players who feel ignored then decide to play for the country of their blood. You only get one (quite short) career in football.

9. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I completely agree. At first it was intriguing to see Camorenesi and Trezeguet play for other NT teams. Watching the mixing of styles with Argentine football is nice.

Now it's plain ridiculous. By the World Cup Italy could have 3 Argentinians playing for them. Osvaldo and Fernado Forestieri are two players that could play for the National Team. Osvaldo is a developing number 9 which we need. Forestieri's talent would have had potential for the National.

Both of these players refused to play for Argentina. It's not like the National Team sucks, they just didn't wish to even consider it. Forestieri turned down the U17 call of Argentina and opted for Italy.

In the case of Camo and Trezeguet, they both had short stints in Primera.
    The two new Italian team - Argentinian born players were trained under the Argentine system.

Fifa should require it to become harder for other nationals to play for their team. "A footballer's life is short"..... no, because that footballer should be a patriot for their country and be grateful he has a system that made him what he is. What about the two spots those 'two argentinians' are taking up for other young Italian footballers who want to play for Italy. They are out becaues two Argentine players are taking up their spots.

Forestieri's excuse is because 'his brother got shot' and his parents want to live somewhere safe. He can live in Italy and still represent Argentina, it's an excuse if you ask me and once again, Fifa has their dicks in their mouths in another issue.

I'll watch Italy to see how these players play, but I will never root for them. Not anymore for players who opt out of Argentina. Losing a player like Forestieri who "who has potential to play like Messi" after he "In January 2006, at the age of 16, Genoa signed Forestieri on a five-year contract; Boca tried to keep the young player, but failed to do so." and "Forestieri has been capped by Italy national under-17, and under-19 football team, after refusing the calling of the Argentina U-17". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Forestieri
    He told two Argentina teams who saw something special in him to "******** off" in essence. Far from Camorenesi not being noticed type.

10. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Make that four http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=762132.

Can you really blame these guys though? When putos like Basile's always play the same players, instead of trying fresh people for aging or weak spots.

Argentina may be superb in terms of power compared to the team of the 90's, but if I remember back then, they would always try new people.

11. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't worry these players would have had tons of potential had they stayed in Argentina or moved to Spain, but the "Italain" style will make them average;)

12. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Then again, i don't remember when was the last time any type of argentine media ever mentioned Ledesma. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened something similar with Almirón or Larrivey for example.

13. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Desiring to play for Italy and actually getting a place on the squad are two very different things. I would be willing to bet my first-born child that Ledesma will never play for Italy.

I do have a question though, and I don't intend to offend anybody: considering the sheer quality and youth of Argentina's strikers, do you guys think that it'll actually become a trend for Argentines to opt for Italy in order to get international playing time?

I'm asking this as an Italian who would not welcome such a trend.

P.S. Forestieri and Osvaldo are far from locks to receive senior caps.

14. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Uh no , but there are exceptions; Mauro Camoranesi(Ita) , David Trezeguet(Fra) , Guillermo Franco(Mex) , Mariano Pernia(Esp) , all would have loved to play for the country of their birth. In their minds they probably have thought about that over and over again before ever considering it... As far as it becoming a trend well how do you think you guy's have your 1st , 2nd or 3rd mundial?? con medio equipo Argentino .....of course .... so don't be so quick to decide you don't like it ....
    Argentina is an exporter of talent Italy & Spain being 2 of our best customers.. think about it 'Tano ..Hypothetically ; If you happen to move to and get married in Argentina had a son wouldn't you want him to take advantage of the dual-citizenship rights just so he may be able to excel at his given profession? Trend or no trend ......

BTW our pizza is much better than yours...

15. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    I'm fully aware of Italy's history with the oriundi, thank you. I was not alive for most of it, so forgive me for deploring the practice in its modern manifestation or wanting (perhaps naively) the Italian national team to be comprised of Italians.

I'm not trolling on here, just trying to get an Argentine perspective on the issue. I don't really think anything in my post warranted the arrogant tone you've adopted.

P.S. Name one Argentine who played for Italy in 1982 ....... I thought so.

P.P.S. I would want my son to play for Italy because of his Italian blood, not because he couldn't get a spot on the Argentina squad. Besides, whyever would I want to move to Argentina? ;)

16. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    relax 'Tano.. sheez not trying to be arrogant , i'm just trying to make you laugh , and i failed ...

o and move to Argentina ... for the Pizza:)

old Italian proveb ;
    Chi trova un amico trova un tesoro

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, why not? It seems like about half of your countrymen did.

18. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    And now it seems like some of them want to move back? :p

I didn't really mean to set off an Argentina vs Italy debate, so my apologies for that. Both countries have their respective merits, but Italy always comes first in my heart, just like Argentina comes first for you guys.

I must confess my surprise, though, at how much some Argentines truly dislike Italy (I'm not pointing a finger at any of you). I guess the memories handed down to them of poverty and desperation still weigh heavily upon their minds.

19. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    VC Fan just from the few run ins we had before Im not so sure how much of a saint you are trully trying to paint yourself. Just by your last comment in that post I can see your intention is one of creating conflict:rolleyes:

20. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Not really, just trying to note something I personally found interesting. And about the not wanting to move to Argentina comment, that was completely tongue-in-cheek.

I suppose I'll take my leave now... it's been fun while it lasted :cool:

21. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's ok,,, it is nice of you to apologize to us a just before you stick you foot in your mouth... Arrogance and hypocrisy coupled w/ a bit of ignorance will get you nowhere VC ...
    "Il bue che dice cornuto all'asino"

22. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well he is famous for putting out a little jab and then running, personaly I have no use for it.

23. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Ah, I admit that that was a complete generalization... a lot of Argentines live in my neighborhood and we have discussions like these from time to time. It was completely wrong of me to bring that up... mea culpa :eek:

I sincerely apologize for any offensive comment I've made. It certainly wasn't my intention.

24. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Accepted, now lets move on.;)

25. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    it's ok "tano as long as you remember ;"Chi nasce asino non può morire cavallo" or "Del male non fare e paura non avere."