Argentine Primera US TV Rights

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by danielmak, May 14, 2010.

1. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Re: Argentina Primera US TV Rights

That's good to know ... so then, why all the complaining as to not been able to watch the argentine league? :confused:

To put it in simple terms ... the international feed is the same for latin america and the US, except for the 9th and 10th game ever since the nationalization of argentine footie... and here and there for a tennis tournament (Davis Cup) when someone else could have the tv rights in the US. But for everything else it is the same.

2. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

If you read lxr's response ... ALL 10 ARGENTINE League games were broadcasted last semester by TyC Sports USA thru Directv USA:

Order DIRECTV
    1-888-777-2454 | Order online

Customer Service
    1-800-531-5000 | Pay Bill | Order Movies | Refresh Your Receivers
    General support is available 8 am - 1 am EST, 7 days a week
    Technical support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Hearing-Impaired Customers (TTY)
    1-800-779-4388 (compatible TTY equipment required)

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/contact_us

You need a spanish language package: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/new_customer/base_packages.jsp?language=SPANISH&footernavtype=-1

Hope that makes it easier on you.

3. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

So then you are just assuming.

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Well, there were too many problems. At first, they didn't show any games. After a couple of rounds they started to broadcast about 8-9 of them. Half way through the tournament they began broadcasting all the games.. and when we got used to it, they just decided to not show the Superclasico!

There were too many inconveniences down the road. Now it may seem dumb, but at the time it was irritating, specially with the lack of notices on their part.

Hopefully they'll show all the games this week, but I doubt it.

5. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
  6. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania

TYCsports USA
    on the Directv guide (US) there are no games tonite, only a B game,
    Rosario vs Almirante Brown ?
    Is this a mistake ,or TYC are not showing any games in the US this season ?

7. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

DIRECTV hasn't updated its guide yet.

As of Tuesday, TyC has an agreement with the AFA for broadcasting the 3rd-10th picks of the Argentine Primera Division.

http://www.tycsports.com/extras/programacion/grillas/html/exterior/grilla.html

TyC has NOT announced whether it has purchased U.S. TV rights to the 1st and 2nd picks as well (i.e. the two matches selected by ESPN+ and ESPN DOS for broadcast in Spanish-speaking Latin America ex-Argentina).

Futbol Argentino

Friday February 11

4:55pm ET - Estudiantes de La Plata vs Newell's Old Boys - TyC Sports USA
    7pm ET - Independiente vs Vélez Sarsfield - TyC Sports USA

Saturday February 12

2:55pm ET - Olimpo vs Banfield - TyC Sports USA
    5pm ET - San Lorenzo vs Gimnasia de La Plata - TyC Sports USA
    7:10pm ET - Colón de Santa Fe vs Quilmes - TyC Sports USA

Sunday February 13

2:55pm ET - All Boys vs Racing Club - TyC Sports USA (TBC)
    5pm ET - Boca Juniors vs Godoy Cruz - TyC Sports USA (TBC)
    7:10pm ET - Tigre vs River Plate - TyC Sports USA

Monday February 14

4:55pm ET - Lanús vs Arsenal - TyC Sports USA
    7pm ET - Huracán vs Argentinos Juniors - TyC Sports USA

8. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

The AFA, under pressure from the Fernandez government, terminated its deal with FOX Sports Int'l prior to the start of the 2010 Torneo Apertura last August.

The AFA was able to get ESPN, Inc. to pay more money (than FOX did) for the 1st and 2nd picks, but only for Spanish-speaking Latin America ex-Argentina (on ESPN+ in Uruguay, Paraguay, and Andina; on ESPN DOS in Mexico, Venezuela, Central America, and Dominican Republic.) However, ESPN, Inc. did not purchase the U.S. TV rights to those 2 matches each week.

TyC Sports (USA and Latin America ex-Argentina) retains the rights to the 3rd through 10th picks in the U.S. and Spanish-speaking Latin America.

Except during Superclasico week, TyC Sports USA also aired the 1st and 2nd picks during the 2010 Torneo Aperatura, starting the 1st week of October.

As for the 2011 Torneo Clasusura, TyC Sports (USA and Latin America ex-Argentina) retains the rights to the 3rd through 10th picks.

9. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania

Great, cause tonite there are some great games, i am not argentinian but i like their football very much and thats why i got TYC.
    So basically for River - Boca or other big games of that sort, its still unclear if they will be on tv here in US ??

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

thanks for the update huhe888... i guess with this quilombo we just have to go week by week... so for this week we can see River and thats at least a plus :)

robbi- he just posted the schedule and this week Tigre vs. River is on the schedule...

and yes tonight there are great games... velez plays some great futbol

11. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

FOX Sports Int'l has a new deal with the AFA, but for the South Cone (ex-Argentina) ONLY.

For week 1:

FOX Sports Latin America South Cone (ex-Argentina) will have All Boys vs Racing live and Boca Juniors vs Godoy Cruz via tape delay.

ESPN+ (Uruguay, Paraguay, Andina) will have Boca Juniors vs Godoy Cruz live and All Boys vs Racing via tape delay.

For week 2:

FOX Sports Latin America South Cone (ex-Argentina) will have Racing Club vs Boca Juniors live and River Plate vs Huracán via tape delay.

ESPN+ (Uruguay, Paraguay, Andina) will have River Plate vs Huracán live and Racing Club vs Boca Juniors via tape delay.

12. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Fox Sports Cono Norte will show the All Boys vs Racing on Sunday nite at 23:00 (Mexico City) thru their Fox Sports + (2nd channel).

They have been showing their one game all last semester too on FS+

Would you mind pointing at where you get your info? In the link I provided, Torneos y Competencias (TyC) still holds the international rights to ALL argentine football until 2014. They still sell the rights to
    Fox Sports (and produce the events for them as well).

I would like to read as much as possible if you can provide links. To me, this whole BS is just reduced to Fox Sports Deportes not being interested in Argentine football, as they have their Mexican fan base. Without a 2nd channel in the near future (as they did thruout Latin America last year) Fox Sports USA doesn't have the space to put their argentine football. The fact that the game times are constantly changing ... specially if the match #1 involves Boca or River, where they jump in kickoff times every week ...

Where do you read that AFA is presently selling int'l rights? That shoud read Torneos y Competencias, the parent company of TyC Sports.

13. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

DIRECTV (USA) has updated its EPG with Sunday's schedule for TyC Sports USA.

TyC Sports USA will have All Boys vs Racing and Boca Juniors vs Godoy Cruz, both live.

That should mean TyC Sports USA will have all 10 games each week (with the probable exception of Superclasico week.)

14. sebas0710

sebas0710 New Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

Would you mind telling me where did you see the DirectTV Sunday schedule updated? I just checked the website and didn't see Boca-Godoy Cruz. What am I missing?

Thank you!

15. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

He has 'insider' information from his postings I've seen. And thanks Huhe keep it up!!!

16. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

Check your electronic program guide of your DIRECTV set-top receiver. Both All Boys vs Racing and Boca Juniors vs Godoy Cruz are now listed for Sunday (in addition to Tigre vs River Plate.)

Same old mushy SD video on TyC Sports USA.

Too much digital compression.

17. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

We don't know yet whether the AFA will jack up the U.S. TV rights fee for Superclasico week again.

TyC will simply tell the AFA to take a hike if the AFA were to do that again. TyC doesn't exactly get along with the AFA or the Fernandez government these days.

If the U.S. TV rights to the Superclasico were held hostage again, then we'll have to watch it at www.tvpublica.com.ar

Both ESPN, Inc. and FOX Sports Int'l have passed on the U.S. TV rights to Futbol Argentino: the AFA's asking price is too high for a product that can't even draw 100,000 viewers each week on average.

The AFA has no choice but to do business with TyC in the U.S. market because neither ESPN, Inc. nor FOX Sports Int'l want the product.

We'll have to wait until the 2011 Torneo Apertura to see whether GOLTV, Inc. will be involved.

18. sebas0710

sebas0710 New Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

thanks. i will check the EPG once i arrive home. and yes, i agree the sd video quality is so bad. i wonder if anybody tried to connect a stream from let's say to justin.tv/computer to the television. i know in general those streams are very low resolution but they have been improving. i watched boca-san lorenzo the other day in full screen in my imac through a channel i chose from rojadirecta. it wasn't bad at all, especially compared with the tyc quality. again, i understand we are no there yet in terms of quality but i'm just curious to see if anybody tried this option. thanks.

19. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

Thats how I watched all Boca games during the Apertura. And most weeks, I was able to find great quality streams.

20. sebas0710

sebas0710 New Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

cool. good to know. any particular website you would recommend for good quality streams?

thanks.

21. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
  22. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

I just made the jump back to Verizon Fios. They now offer TYC Sports under the Spanish Language package ($12/month) & La Conexion ($39/month) in my area in New York. That might be option for some of you. Google the Fios lineup to see if that's available in your area.

23. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Is TyC showing all 10 games this season?

24. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

I actually get it installed this week, so I'm not sure yet. By the way, credit goes to you for mentioning this a few weeks back. That's how I knew about it.

25. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

TyC Sports USA is supposed to have U.S. TV rights to all 10 AFA Primera Division matches each week, with the probable exception of the 1st and 2nd choice matches during Superclasico week (if the AFA decides it wants more money from TyC again.)

We'll see what happens during Superclasico week - May 14 and May 15