Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Probably would healed properly once he gets enough rest. Also, as long Scaloni (or whoever the next DT) could manage his playing time properly, he'd still be more dangerous than 99% of players out there. We've seen what ADM could do in last few years under Scaloni despite constantly getting injured at crucial matches under previous managers.

Half true, Messi is approaching 1100 games in his career and most players at his age dont play as many matches/minutes. Messi rarely ever gets subbed out in last 14 years or so. Zanetti was 36 when he won treble with Inter and also played well over 1000 games but he never rely on short burst acceleration. Messi needs that to be effective.

ganapordiego repped this.
  2. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The reason for all WC winners crash out early in next WC is most of them coming with almost same squad and plays like they already won the WC.
    We shouldnt be like this for next WC

3. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    True but Zanetti was a wing back literally has to be running and covering so much space. Messi, intelligently, walks 80% of the game and picks his moments with his high IQ/skill. Even tho he refuses to rest, he self manages within the game. Tbh Messi's acceleration has been gone for years. What we need him for isn't that, it's the little touches, passes, shots and free-kicks

4. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wonder who those players are

locoxriver, Burr, SupaMario and 2 others repped this.
  5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #22505 Rattlehead, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    Hopefully he'll drop Nico and Pezzela. Tagliafico and Guido arent irreplaceable either.
    RDP has been somewhat underperforming aswell despite always hustling. His first touch, passing and dribbles hasnt been what it used to be.

I'd also replace Otamendi or at least drop him to the bench. He's struggling against stronger opponent like Uruguay. His winner against Brazil probably will keep him for sometime though, but that game is fools gold since Brazil has lost 7 times in last 12 months.

6. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would still have Nico as a squad player as he's versatile and has some good qualities, but never should be a starter in the attacking positions.

I would drop Pezzella and Guido. With our not so good depth in LB, Tagliafico is still needed.

Senesi had a good performance and scored his 2nd second straight goal in the PL. Good option in the LCB position.

Patoeber and SupaMario repped this.
  7. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dibu with clean sheet wins against Manchester City and Arsenal now. Wow!

8. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    According to Article 60, only a squad of 23 is allowed in this competition.

CA2024-Reglamento_2023.11-ENG.pdf (copaamerica.com)

I think this might be the squad of 23 (with their age) from Scaloni

GK: E. Martinez (31), Armani (36), Benitez (31)
    RB: Molina (26), Montiel (27)
    CB: Romero (26), Otamendi (35), L. Martinez (26), Pezzella (33)
    LB: Acuna (32), Tagliafico (31)

RCM: De Paul (30), Palacios (25)
    CDM: Enzo (23), Paredes (30)
    LCM: MacAllister (25), Lo Celso (28)

RW: Di Maria (36)
    CAM: Messi (37), Dybala (30)
    FW: Alvarez (24), Martinez (26)
    LW: Nico Gonzales (26)

Gregoire1 and SupaMario repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If it is 26, it is going to limit us a little bit. But we did have 23 for the Finalissima but that was a one-off rather than a tournament.

Maybe a youngster now misses out. Even if they continue to have stellar season's, Soulé and Garna will miss out, since Scaloni has not given Garna significant minutes and has yet to work with Mati. But man, I'd like to see a youngster make the cut but I don't know who will get displaced.

Nico Gonzalez will probably make the cut. Dybala, if healthy will be there, and he's mentioned that he'd like to complete the trifecta since he did miss out on CA. And to be honest, he's been having a really good season when he's been healthy.

But the likes of Pezzella and Armani should already be given the boot. Give us a young defender, nobody he really sticks out but much better than Mufa Pezzella. The only contribution from Armani was catching COVID and having Dibu replace him. Thank you for your lack of service and chau.

The LB's worry just a little bit. Huevo is probably on his legs for the seleccion. At RB, Montiel is not really playing, is he? Nico is still a valiant servant.

Gregoire1, ganapordiego and soul24rage repped this.
  10. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SupaMario repped this.
  11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lautaro is on another level at Inter. He's just alot more busy and clinical. He won the ball near halfway line by himself and went to score. He did this aswell in Finalissima but that was his last memorable performance he had for Argentina till now.

Dybala is currently 2nd place on assist table , only 1 behind Thuram.

12. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Lautaro should have a starter role in Copa. Alvarez plays mostly as a second striker at City now, he plays behind Haaland.

Lautaro - Alvarez duo can be usable.

13. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    That should be the 23 but I somehow feel Dybala could be left out for Soule or Garnacho.

Pezzella is in solely because there's no other right-footed CB performing (unquestionably) better than him atm.

I think we'll see more players other than Di Maria leaving after the Copa if Scaloni stays. Edul (Esteban) has been hinting that's what Scaloni is concerned about rather than Tapia related stuff. That he will have to drop names he got attached to.

locoxriver and soul24rage repped this.
  14. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    #22514 Riquelme100, Dec 10, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    There are plenty of talents. I have picked out 3 players that I think Scaloni should really consider. I haven’t considered other young players because of lack of minutes for their respective clubs, it’s just not realistic at this moment to even be mentioned.

In defence, I would bring Medina from Lens. Solid defender with good passing ability, quick, good control on the ball and less reckless than Martinez(United) Can play in multiple positions which is always good to have in a squad.

In midfield, I would go for Alan Varela. This squad lacks a proper CDM, he’s a bit lightweight for my liking but has that Mascherano style. Aggressive, tackles and has decent passing ability. He’s playing a lot now for Porto so that should help him grow into that role.

Left side(wing) as been a big issue for me, but I think eventually that Garnacho will take that spot, he’s getting minutes and playing well for a shit United team. Just needs consistency and focus.

soul24rage repped this.
  15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I mean, other than Messi; Otamendi, Pezzella and Armani need to leave. Maybe Huevo leaves as well. So, Scaloni should see this as a blessing than some impediment.

I can understand if Messi says no more, which will make Scaloni’s job difficult but if Messi stays, then Scaloni could and should just comeback for the next two years. I do not think anybody will crucify him if something goes wrong in 2026. He’s done it all and accomplished everything. His legacy is cemented.

I also do understand what Scaloni means when he says he’s tired. Starting over and trying to find the right pieces will be a difficult task. But I am sure his staff is looking at certain players for certain roles. He also has to find the energy to push for another World Cup.

In some ways, this reminds of the Last Dance documentary. In 98, Phil Jackson gave the players a booklet on the first day of training that said “The Last Dance.” A part of it was Jackson feeling that this will be the end of the road for this group. But, I suspect he would’ve returned if the dumbass general manager did not constantly throw hints at him and that they were going with somebody else after 99. Hell, Jordan wanted to comeback for the 99 season but only if Jackson returned. Jackson had enough with the Bulls management but maybe he knew whatever was left in the tank for Jordan, Pippen and Rodman was that season, who really knows.

But I’ve mentioned this before, there is plenty of talent in the ranks but Scaloni is probably just too drained to see how it will work.

Let’s also remember, Scaloni began working on rebuilding the squad in 2018, so he had a good couple years adjusting the lineups. After this CA, he’ll have right around two years. With Messi 3.5 years older for 2026, and maybe the hunger not there for the players, it is time to checkout after the CA.

But there needs to be a plan in place, where one of Scaloni’s assistances takeover if Scaloni steps aside. No way can we have somebody who will be alien to this group. That change will need to happen after 2026. Maybe Gallardo would have enough money in his pockets, which will tempt him to manage the seleccion when that offer arrives.

I guess only time will tell.

soul24rage repped this.
  16. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    With not so good LW options, I'd honestly try Alvarez as the Left Forward, Lautaro as the Centre Forward and Messi as the False Right Winger.

The Width will need to come from the full backs so Acuna over Tagliafico for me.

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #22517 SupaMario, Dec 10, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    Roma v Fiorentina. Paulo with an assist so far. Beltran and Gonzalez on the bench for Viola.

And just like that, Dybala is injured. Absolutely ridiculous.

Rattlehead and soul24rage repped this.
  18. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dybala injured himself and is taken out after 23 min.

He's able to walk and I am really hoping that it's just a precaution...

Rattlehead repped this.
  19. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Enzo has 8 years left with Chelsea btw.

20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Enzo only hope would be Chelsea having somekind of renaissance.

...or if he wins Copa America next year, he might call it a career.:rolleyes:

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We all know those contracts can be terminated if the players pushes for it, particularly if favors the player. We know what Enzo can do, he's proven it at every single level he's played . The issue is that Chelsea are a dumpster fire and have been for sometime now. He's on a sinking ship with no life-preserver. Lets also remember that Liverpool at one time wanted Enzo but Enzo wanted to go to Chelsea. Maybe he wanted to live in London rather than Liverpool, I don't know but we could've had a Mac and Enzo midfield at Liverpool(Liverpool would've probably not bought Caicedo if they had purchased Enzo first).

As long as it does not impact his time with the seleccion, then I do not think we should worry too much but once we start seeing issues then we do have to go with players who are in form. I am not at the point to say Enzo should be dropped from the starting 11, but I have always said having somebody breathing down your neck, in terms of competition is a good thing. It keeps a player sharp.

soul24rage repped this.
  22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gio is being linked to Barcelona. He’s done well in the last few weeks in the EPL but maybe La Liga will be a better fit for him.

23. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I honestly don't see him moving this winter window as some key players (especially from midfield) are going to the continental tournaments this January so I doubt Tottenham will let him leave. Summer transfer window will be a different story though.

24. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Romero needs therapy, either he is going to end someone's career or a player is going to take him out as pay back. A cowardly tackle by him yesterday, should have been a red card.

25. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is Hard defensive play and there is dirty play. I don't think Cuti is dirty, but he is a lot like John Terry who also had a nasty temper (but was a bit dirty).

I don't want Cuti to be less than what he is now, but if he can cut out the stuff that is getting him red carded, he'd would be in the conversation for best CB in the world