Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd say Garnacho has an outside chance, considering Scaloni never seems to rate A.Correa , even when he's fit. As much as I dislike Tucu, Scaloni rates him highly and he did have good understanding with Lautaro & Messi, he just lack finishing ability.

Also, Scaloni loves players with good stamina & speed. We saw in finalassima, even Messi & Lautaro were preasuring off the ball in midfield. However, thats a one-off game and the WC is 7 games tourney so we wont see Messi & Lautaro doing those things every games. Di Maria is mid 30s, so Tucu & Nico will be there to do the dirty works.

Albiceleste2010 and soul24rage repped this.
  2. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I don't know how MacAllister is such a lock. He is average at best, it is like another taglafico but in midfield. I am just not impressed and we don't need another very small and weak guy in the WC/

soul24rage and Loco repped this.
  3. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its an interesting comparison, because at the NT games Tagliafico and MacAllister have played well. MacAllister was given the duty to play as the defensive-midfielder against Estonia, and did a really good job (I get it, it was only Estonia). But his versatility might be the reason he might get to be on the team. 100% he is going to be called again before the WC for friendlies, and those performances will determine if he is going.

As far as Tagliafico, I don't get all the hate he gets in this forum. He is a smart player, that comes from a team that I love having part of our WC team (Ajax is where you want you players from South America to go!) - he can get forward and do a good job defending. I don't think he is as good as Acuña (obviously), but as a back-up we could do worse

Milwaukee Joe, Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  4. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Exactly, I think Scaloni sees MacAllister as a "jack of all trades" in midfield. He can be a substitute for De Paul, Lo Celso, or even Paredes/Guido. MacAllister plays regularly in the most physical league in the world, something Lo Celso couldn't do.

Not that I agree with it, but I will trust Scaloni with this decision. I do agree that it is important to have players from all the top leagues if we want to compete with all the best National Teams.

I think Palacios has the same role, but obviously he does not have the experience of the EPL.

soul24rage repped this.
  5. Milwaukee Joe

Milwaukee Joe Member

Jun 23, 2018
    #15805 Milwaukee Joe, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    He is not small and weak, though he appears so. He's certainly not tall but he's not small like Messi. He's also a deceptively combative and physical player. He's a tough cookie in the Argentine tradition, which is partly why he succeeds in the PL, where many others (Veron) have failed.

Mac Allister is playing for a small team in a big league and is making a name for himself at 23 years of age, playing against very strong opponents every week. A very demanding physical league, the fastest and most powerful in the world. He's gaining a reputation not just for his quality on the ball but also for his workrate and his physicality.

The PL eats a lot of players up, because they can't cope with the pace and power but not this guy. You do not get time on the ball (Veron struggled with this). Mac Allister sometimes plays DM for Brighton precisely because he's able to mix it physically as well as dictate the play from deep. He offers versatility in the midfield positions and I suspect he will make the squad (although I doubt both he and Buendia will make it because they both have a similar profile).

By the way, I'm not saying he's a better player than Veron (obviously), nor am I saying he's a top player. I just think you may be underestimating him.

Tagliafico is nearly 30 and is playing for a big team in a small league. Ajax could play without a LB and win 90% of their games. He's still there after four and a half years which tells you the scouts in the bigger leagues don't think he can step up, and this may be because of the physical characteristics which you mention. I understand your reservations.

Having said that, Tagliafico is a solid citizen, dependable and disciplined, and I have nothing against the guy but although he's a lock for the squad I hope Scaloni picks Acuña instead of him. Right now, Scaloni doesn't seem too decided. Why did he play him against Italy for example? Was Acuña not fully fit?

Acuña is not a great LB but he's the best we can hope for in Qatar, in my opinion.

soul24rage repped this.
  6. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Acuña is a starter and he was coming back from an injury so he wasn't available vs Italy. It's a reason why he looked out of form vs Estonia when he came on.

7. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I might have came off as dissing him by saying average but for me average isn't bad I just see a standard player that does his job adequately enough (with some flaws) without standing out. Same with Tag although I have been more critical when he was a starter. Another one is Palacios who I also never got a feel for his game. I don't watch these players outside of the NT but I think I have seen enough to make some deductions. It is not like I was following DePaul either but from the first NT game he stands out and you can easily recognize his contributions.

There are many of these average players in mid-table teams in the top leagues of Europe and many even in top teams (shock). Truth is all those best euro clubs like manu, chelsea, psg and even the mighty liverpool have very very average players starting for them. Wasn't Wijnaldum a regular in liverpool? This is the new standard. There is many factors as far as scouting as these scouts have many incentives to go for pricier Euro players. Most scouting isnt even about talent but about the size of the commission so I place little value in that.

These players can go either way with discipline and a lot of hard work they can make it even at the very top but they are just not gifted with outstanding talent. I mean even Heinze was a starting LB for prime Manu for a while.

I completely disagree about Acuna. If he was British he would easily be hailed as "world class". This title is attributed if criteria is satisfied: you are European, play in your favorite english club, are athletic (or black). An example that I have watched every game of is Nuno Mendes, supposedly one of the best LB yet his decision making and crossing was ridiculous last season. Acuna is much better generating danger with dribbling, crossing and shooting. His form during Copa and at Sevilla easily put him near the top.

soul24rage, Rattlehead and SupaMario repped this.
  8. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    MacAllister is bang average. Far too weak to play as a DM. This was Estonia B remember.

Has not got the creativity to play further forward and relies heavily on Bissouma at Brighton to mop things up. Brighton are by no means a weak team either. They spend enough.

How MacAllister is even in the squad is a mystery compared to Enzo Fernandez. Zeballos would be a better bet top get into the 26 at offering something. We've enough passengers like Armani without bringing MacAllister along. He's hardly scored against the best sides either.

As for the WC playoff matches. Players despite the AC are looking very fatigued. Having a deep depth and the five subs will be to the advantage of the usual sides. I hope Scaloni makes the right choices so that we have a Dybala or A.Correa coming in rather than Tucu or Enzo rather than MacAllister.

Scaloni will have to be judicious with the group games and time given to the veterans to keep them fresh for the latter stages.

soul24rage and Rattlehead repped this.
  9. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Palacios is a far better player than MacAllister both at winning the ball and then using it progressively. The stats back it up. It's just a shame his career has stalled with injuries and lack of playing time. Fingers crossed he gets it all together early this coming season and makes it to Qatar. He also has a solid mentality.

soul24rage repped this.
  10. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Foyth has been excellent all season. He has had his first real season of football and will only improve.

locoxriver and DTCrackheads repped this.
  11. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Is it really Palacios' fault that he took the flying knee to the back in Copa or Qualifying? I cannot remember the exact game, but it was a brutal flying knee. Knocked him out for 4-6 months with a broken facet.

I know he has had a few other injuries as well, but luck has certainly not been on his side. I still have high hopes for Palacios. He is still very young (23).

12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Acuna also has Zanetti like stamina. Its hard to take him down physically, even at 94th minute in Copa final before the final whistle, he's still able to forced a foul from Brazillian by shielding the ball using his stocky physique.

He has quite plenty of assists at NT , consistently putting dangerous cross from the left. This is why we're a very dangerous side to play right now, crosses can also came from the right through Molina & RDP.

Albiceleste2010 and soul24rage repped this.
  13. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    It was Paraguay at the Bombonera. One of the Romeros charged at him. Lo Celso got subbed in and the team played much better. He has been a starter since that day.

DTCrackheads and soul24rage repped this.
  14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So it does seems that Inter could possibly bring Dybala and Lukaku as they will ship off Vidal, Sanchez and Dzeko.

If that turns out to be true, than it would be a good news for us. 3 of our forwards playing in same team. I think Zanetti certainly trying to convince the club for the move.

“We’re in talks with him,” he acknowledged when asked about Dybala, “he’s a great player who will certainly represent us [Argentina] at the World Cup.”

“I admire Paulo and wish him the best in his career,” he added. “Inter have always had many South Americans, especially Argentines, which means that Argentines are special to us.”

“Even now there are some in the team,” he noted, “thinking about Lautaro and Correa. The club has confidence in Argentine players.”

Albiceleste2010, Loco and soul24rage repped this.
  15. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And Paredes might be joining them at Inter; although there are now some Juventus rumors (even if Paredes stays at PSG, he is with Messi)

Albiceleste2010 and Rattlehead repped this.
  16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So, Lautaro and Inter are going to say no to an offer by Tottenham, which is estimated to be around 90ME. Smart move to stay put.

Albiceleste2010 and Rattlehead repped this.
  17. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

18. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    DTCrackheads, SupaMario, afar and 3 others repped this.
  19. Milwaukee Joe

Milwaukee Joe Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Ajax reportedly turn down a 30m euro bid from Arsenal for Lisandro Martinez. He's being linked to a host of top clubs. He's 24 now and he needs to move to a big league if he wants to improve his level.

20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In fifa official site interview some years ago , he also said he wasnt sure about Argentina's foul in 1990 final which gave them the winning penalty because he's too far from the incident. Im sure he's aware if decided to watch the replay it was never a foul:laugh:

But I guess sometimes you can have luck on your side, but the other time it sided with your opponent. Klose foul on Abondanzieri seems to be similar aswell, although I havent seen that one in a decade.

afar repped this.
  21. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    According to Ole, Arsenal are preparing a new offer, while Ten Hag (his former coach at Ajax) has requested him for Man United

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is being reported that Man City have already turned down 5 loan proposals from European clubs for Julian Alvarez (who had another striking match last night, btw)

It appears Guardiola has full faith in his abilities and is truly counting on him to form part of his team next season, at least initially

afar and soul24rage repped this.
  24. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

soul24rage repped this.
  25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I’ve been seeing more and more articles about us being among one of the favorites. Even the media in Brasil is stating this, which they know very well but it is now the Europeans that are suggesting it. As others have noted before, it is perhaps better to be under the radar.

soul24rage repped this.