Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    While parades is for me a decent midfielder, just dont like that he plays as cdm. Parades is the type of player who can shine when he has someone like Gueye who wins the ball and Paredes can focus on his passing.

2. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Acuna isn't just fine look at him for Sevilla even there he is a beast he improved a lot since 2018. You talk like you missed the last 4 years of football.

Tag is Mr. Average and yes he can get overpowered and he is also useless going forward but he is not a major liability and is our only second option there used as rotation to Acuna. No point dissecting him, it's been already done and he is no longer the starter.

No. Gueye is a horribly limited player who is actually detrimental whenever he starts. Watch any PSG champions league game past 2 years and you will see Paredes as CDM. In the second leg vs Madrid he is CDM there without Gueye and PSG absolutely dominated as they usually do with him in that role and only lost complete control when he got subbed out and Gueye came in. Last season was rough for him only because of his re-occurring injury that resulted in surgery in the end.

Interception and work rate are usual complaints against Paredes. PSG low iq fans whine about it too because they don't understand what Paredes does so good. You don't need to intercept and hustle like a donkey when you can keep possession like he does with short quick passes fast release and over 90% accuracy. That is why Argentina is a million times better with him vs Guido. Not to mention the always present threat of through balls and he can score sometimes. He might have started his career in more advanced positions but now he is fully adapted to his role besides we already have high work-rate midfielders to cover.

soul24rage repped this.
  3. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As mentioned, the workrate of the other players and with the counter-pressing system that Scaloni implements mitigates this weakness of Paredes. Paredes's ability to bring the ball out when building up play is really needed. See the 1st half of the game vs Italy without his presence.

locoxriver repped this.
  4. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018

I havent watched the farmer league and psg a lot besides when they have met good teams in CL. Im just not conviced of Paredes defensive abilities, but i will try to give him another chance. Every time i watch him and i see argentina struggling, he always seems to be the one struggling the most and letting the team down by being overly aggressive and comprimising the team and committing stupid fouls.

Its not even about that. Its about doing the dirty work and relieve pressure from the defenders which Paredes is not good at doing from what i have seen. He is good with the ball but you have to offer more than that when youre playing that role. Nothing special about him. He is basically a Thiago, good with the ball but shite off the ball.

5. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    That i can agree with. He has to cm`s in De Paul and Lo celso who are good at tracking back. Is Lo Celso a starter now?

6. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lo Celso is a starter and always has been since the WCQ started. An important player for Scaloni. He's now more undroppable after his move to Villareal.

7. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I mean you have unrealistic expectations we have to forge a mascherano/redondo hybrid to meet your standards. Paredes is average in tackling he is not bad he made many key intersections in the copa and positionally he is very solid because of his reading of the game. His 'aggression' actually allows him to get under opponent's skin and cause them to get carded (see copa). He will make a tactical foul now and then and that is always a risk for this position.

You have to really nitpick to find weaknesses in this team. The major ones before used to be: Molina's defense, Di Maria's off day, Lo Celso's form and Lautaro's finishing. All of them have improved a lot.

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He also can make a bonehead mistake at a critical time.

Rattlehead repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Foyth & Buendia are mundoalbiceleste mythical legends.

DTCrackheads and ganapordiego repped this.
  10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yep, the same reason why Otamendi is in the team. Most great team has that kind of hardheaded character.

The likes of Ramos & Materrazzi has more red cards than probably our entire NT history, doesnt makes them bad player. In fact they often cost their opponents.

11. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    Not anymore. He has become much more composed when it comes to that aspect of his game. That was foyth when he was in Tottenham and partially in his first year at Villarreal. The guy is a different beast now.

12. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    Only if he had end product. I like his workrate, but the man has zero end product.

soul24rage repped this.
  13. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    It goes both ways for Paredes, either he loses his head and gets sent off or he provokes the opposition to target him. Kinda like Diego Costa. Too emotional in a key position. Its good to have those personalities, but not too many of them and we have already Otamendi.

My original question was, are there any upcoming cdms?

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gio works for this team. So does Paredes and Acuña. It is perhaps what clicks and what does not. Foyth could have a stellar season for the Yellow Submarines but he may not find that rhythm for the seleccion. Sure, he could possibly come in as a backup but it is pretty evident who will be in the starting 11. There is no point in going in a circle.

Scaloni has found a recipe that works for him and the team. I think everybody knows their role. And with this team, it is the next man up, who will continue to fight for his team when he is on the pitch. That is all Scaloni is asking of this group.

soul24rage repped this.
  15. Milwaukee Joe

Milwaukee Joe Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Paredes has obvious quality. A really talented deep-lying playmaker, with obvious defensive limitations. He's often the first player to be subbed in a game, replaced by Guido. It's obvious that Scaloni rates him highly but doesn't trust him entirely from a defensive point of view.

Foyth should be in the squad, there's no doubt in my mind. Montiel is bang average. Montiel is a fighter but in terms of quality he's way below Foyth in my opinion. Foyth also gives you versatility. He can play RB, CB and DM. That could prove valuable in the WC, if the team progresses and injuries and suspensions start to mount up.

16. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    Thats true, he has made up his mind and it has worked now for the past two years.

I agree with you, Foyth is much better and is constantly getting better for each year. I would also start him. He has become one of the best defenders in short amount of time in la liga. People just tend to base him on few mistakes he made when he was younger and under development. They havent watched him play week in and week out. Otamendi makes mistakes all the time, yet he gets free pass.

17. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I totally agree. His finishing needs work and be more confident with his right foot. He's too left footed for my liking.

18. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    Yep, he doesnt know what to do with the ball as soon as he gets in the final third. He overthinks and ends up wasting a good opportunity by being hesitant. Happened so much with Villarreal.

locoxriver repped this.
  19. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Italian press is linking Nahuel Molina with a possible move to Barcelona.

Meanwhile, Lucas Alario could also move to La Liga, with Villarreal and Betis expressing interest in the 29-year-old forward.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Spain & Italy are mostly the best destination for Argentine players with Atletico Madrid being somewhat an exception.

soul24rage repped this.
  22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Peru manage to get to the World Cup, they could possibly sneak out of their group. Group D seems is open for Peru to advance.

They could be an opponent we face in the R16. Probably worth watching their match v the Aussies.

23. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    The extra 3 squad players probably benefits us the most.

Dybala, Foyth, and A. Correa for example. Which other NTs have that level of depth for their 24-26 squad positions?

locoxriver, Rattlehead and soul24rage repped this.
  25. Milwaukee Joe

Milwaukee Joe Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Dibu, Musso, Rulli, Armani (one of these keepers won't make it)

Molina, Foyth, Acuña, Tagliafico (Scaloni will also pick Montiel I suspect)

Cuti, Otamendi, Pezzella, Lisandro (if there is an injury before the WC Martinez Quarta will probably be picked)

Paredes, Guido, RDP, GLC, Palacios, Mac Allister, Papu, Buendia (I suspect Buendia may miss out)

Messi, Lautaro, Alvarez, ADM, Dybala, Gonzalez, A Correa (Scaloni might take Joaquin instead of A Correa or Gonzalez)

Things may change but time is running out.......

soul24rage repped this.