Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    To be honest, Romero was lucky to not have a yellow today. He was straight up abusing Brazilians and showing no remorse.

2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, he wasn’t that lucky because he got a yellow.

Burr, soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Otamendi needs to keep his personal grudge on check. Early in the game he gave Brazillian player a "bullied shoulder" for no reason and then he went reckless later on which could have been a straight red in another day. I'm all for having tough attitude but he shouldnt cross the line.

He must have told Cuti to do the same thing cause Cuti also a bit reckless in this game, also as we've seen them mocking Peru player after the guy missed a penalty.

SupaMario, Burr, ganapordiego and 3 others repped this.
  4. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    1460898145748070402 is not a valid tweet id

:D

SupaMario, Rattlehead and Christina99 repped this.
  5. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fight for the last automatic bid and the playoff spot in CONMEBOL looks to be a huge one. Even Bolivia has somewhat of a shot, lol.

6. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    its gonna be awesome *grabs popcorn*

locoxriver, soul24rage and Rattlehead repped this.
  7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I love his take no prisoners attitude. Reminds me of the likes of Cholo and Kily Gonzales , he could be a bit reckless but calculated unlike Rojo, or Pepe.

locoxriver, soul24rage and ganapordiego repped this.
  8. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ok, so we played like crap last night. Probably one of our least inspiring performance in about 12 months. It was a game of "moments" both team had some moments, Brazil seemed to be more together today.

I think that Brazil has a deeper bench, which benefits them on days like today, but I still think we have the best starting XI in South America (when they're all fit). That said, neither team did enough to earn 3pts last night.

Its clear that Argentina still has a #9 problem. When Lautaro is not on top of his game, we are in trouble. There is no other #9 worth a bucket of warm piss, if you ask me.
    - Dybala & Nicolas Gonzales are never fit, and not true #9,
    - Lucas Alario & Joaquin Correa are the "bucket" that I was referring to up top,
    - Julian Alvarez but too young not ready yet
    - Icardi (where do I begin?!?!?)

Either our team learns to play without a #9 (like ManCity is trying to do), or we pray that Lautaro is balls to wall in Qatar.

locoxriver, soul24rage and ganapordiego repped this.
  9. ganapordiego

ganapordiego Member

Estudiantes de La Plata
    Argentina
    Jul 10, 2021
    How long do you guys think the unbeaten streak lasts? Do we go through the rest of qualifiers unfazed? 4 more games to be played, plus the EuroCopa vs Italy in June… In addition to playing Italy & hopefully a couple of other Euro squads during WC prep, it would be cool if we could play against fellow unbeaten Algeria who I believe is at 33 games unbeaten (granted against much weaker opponents).

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The 4th place and 9th place only seperated by 4 points , so it will be a Normandy :D

Burr repped this.
  11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #13336 Rattlehead, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    As I mentioned earlier, we should try Simeone who's currently in good form. Tucu has more bad game than good but always gets loads of playing time .

Lautaro scored in a game where our midfields and wingers dominates and creates clear chances, because that's how a #9 usually scores. He scored against Venezuela (opener), Uruguay, the winner against Peru, all a close range. Those goals were assisted by Lo Celso, RDP and Molina.

In game like this Scaloni seems to make same mistake by taking him off early even though the problem was the midfield, especially Lo Celso wasnt up to par, Messi unfit, and Acuna rarely ventured forward (probably instructed).

I mean, what would Crespo do in a game like this or against Uruguay few days ago? it would be no different.

I actually think Alvarez isnt too young, all his caps were like 5-10 minutes cameo, that's never conclusive. To see whether he's ready or not, starts him or at least after HT whistle. Argentina used to be bold enough to introduce young talents at very young age (Saviola, Tevez, Messi, Aguero, Di Maria, Lavezzi, Lucho etc)

soul24rage, Loco and ganapordiego repped this.
  12. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends how much we experiment with these last 4 games. Chile will be desperate when we play there so it could be as soon as next game we play. At Ecuador is always tough though they probably won't have anything to play for by then.

locoxriver and ganapordiego repped this.
  13. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I ve been doing some math and I actually think the 2 teams that will fight for the 5th spot are gonna be URUGUAY and PERU. (ecuador will qualify directly and colombia has an easy enough draw, they should also qualify)

CHILE is gonna be out for sure, their next 3 games are: ARGENTINA, BOLIVIA (in La Paz) and Brasil. I dont see them getting more than 1 point in those 3 games. Maybe (a huge IF) they could get 3 points in La Paz but its unlikely, they will for sure lose with la scaloneta in full form and theres no way they beat Brasil. So they will be out soon.

PERU plays with Colombia (in Colombia next). This should be a difficult game since Colombia is a better team on paper and also locals. However, given Colombia current form and their inability to score, it is possible they get a draw. Then, Peru plays Ecuador in Peru. This is winnable. Ecuador is for sure gonna qualify and Peru can be strong as locals. Also, they are gonna play for their lives. I see Peru maybe getting 3 points. Then Peru plays their direct rivals URUGUAY in the 17th date. This is gonna be a BLOODBATH. Both teams gonna play for their spot in the WC. Uruguay should win on paper but, given their current streak, they might tie. In the last date, Peru plays Paraguay in Peru. Completely winnable. If Peru qualifies, they are gonna qualify in this last match in front of their people. It might depend on the goal difference against uruguay.

URUGUAY have crushed and burned but they dont have such a hard draw. They play Paraguay in Paraguay against a team that its technically alive still? I see them getting a draw. Uruguay then plays venezuela at home, they should win this one. Uruguay will probably get 4 points in the jan/feb date. Then Uruguay plays Peru, like i said, their direct rivals, its gonna be a bloodbath. The team that wins here probably goes to Qatar. BUT, in the last date uruguay plays Chile and Peru plays Paraguay: i say Peru has it easier on that date. Chile sucks but can be hard when they want to. Also, Chile are gonna be locals, while Peru will play in Peru with an out of the WC Paraguay. it might come to that last date.

The other possible scenario is that Colombia somehow self implodes and both Uruguay and Peru qualify.

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So, we will now move up to 5th in the world. Italy dropped and we are behind England by 4 points. We’ve pretty much secured a top seed for the world cup.

Now, if Italy and Portugal do not qualify, then this will push the Danes and Dutch into the first seed. Germany will still be unranked. If the Tanos do not and Portugal does, then Portugal will be seeded.But this all depends on what calendar date FIFA use for the seeding.

Italy missing another World Cup would be something. After winning 2006, they’ve had two first round exits and have not qualified. I know they won the Euros but I never saw them as this force. I have always felt we would have no problems with them.

We still have a friendly with them in 2021. Should be a decent test.

F8A53D78-E3F6-4822-9277-029DEF221941.jpeg
    upload_2021-11-17_11-14-48.png

Rattlehead, Burr, soul24rage and 2 others repped this.
  15. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks for this! Was wondering about it after yesterday's match. As you said, the team is most likely going to be the top seed and for the rest of the WCQ, I really hope that the "squad team" players like Musso, Palacios, L. Martinez, Julian Alvarez to get some serious game time before the WC as they still need a lot of international experience imo.

Maybe call up some other players like Medina, Senesi, Buendia. Would like to see the "squad players" vs Colombia and vs Chile, teams who will be fighting for their lives for that WC spot.

SupaMario and Rattlehead repped this.
  16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Shakhtar Donetsk are supposedly going to make an offer for Julian. They apparently have the cash in hand for his services.
    Not good.

Rattlehead repped this.
  17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is why I dont care which serie A or la liga teams that will get him, because its surely still much better option than going to place like Shahktar.

SupaMario repped this.
  18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I dont understand how Germany ranked so low, they won 9 out of their 10 qualifier games.

19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    beating Armenia and Liechtenstein (matches played in November), don't give much points

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Plus they flopped at the last WC and Euros. Not 100% sure, but I think both of those tournaments still factor in the rankings

SupaMario and Rickdog repped this.
  21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They certainly do. Germany went from 1st to 15th in 2018. They’ve been playing catch-up ever since. As you mentioned, having a mediocre Euros did not help their case.

22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Anyhow, it´s great to have them lowly ranked, as it means that being granted a top seed for next WC, Germany can actually land in their group.
    Same goes for the Netherlands and Switzerland.

Although it may seem difficult for Chile to qualify to the next WC, it would be cool to land in a group with both France and Germany in the same group, and yet more cooler, if we happen to eliminate them both at group phase....:D

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It would probably be better to be in a group of death rather than be the team that has to play the winner of runner-up of the GOD.

BTW, what is this I’m hearing about having our match in Calama? I mean, is that really going to help you guys, when a lot of of your players are playing in Europe now? Maybe for the match v Bolivia, maybe…

24. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #13349 Rickdog, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    It´s a valid point, but it is something that it is being seriously talked about right now by players, coach and at directive level now. Anyhow the altitude of Calama is nowhere even near the one from La Paz, which is about 1400 meters higher.

It does help to acclimate better to high altitude staying there, in Calama, for some time before making the big jump to higher places, an issue our NT has been doing for almost every qualifier process we´ve been through for the last 20 years, and the results obtained are there for everyone to see, where for most of the times we have no problem beating them (Bolivia), in their ground afterwards. Calama may not have the same atmosphere as of La Paz, but it resembles it pretty well, specially the issue as for lack of oxigen level in the air, which affects athletic recovery time. Also important how the thin air affects the behaviour of the ball while playing at high altitude, which probably is what most disturbs players not used to it, where for some players, they never get used to it no matter how long they practice under those conditions.

25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I did route for Chile when they played Brazil in 2014. I think Chile hit the post at injury time (if I remember correctly). If its goes in, that would spare Brazil's corpse from getting grind in semi.