Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Haven't seen Argentina play with this amount of freedom since that 2012-13 side. That second half was a joy to watch.
    If this Argentina goes to Qatar with Emi Martinez, Romero, Rodrigo de Paul & Leo Messi fit and on form then there's a chance that they could do something special.
    The support players just need to lift their game up for that one month like Lo Celso did tonight for example.

Albiceleste2010, Loco, Burr and 4 others repped this.
  2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think we should give playing time for Alvarez and Papu against Peru. Time to experiment a little bit. We're 6 points clear of third place with a game in spare.

Although its probably will be one of those game which Di Maria put solid performance and back into starting line up :D

3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

VAMOS CHICOS!!

24 games undefeated!

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Here's a video of Julian Alvarez as a kid saying his dream is to play a World Cup and that his idol is Messi:

Must be crazy for him to play alongside Messi and know that he has a very realistic shot at making the WC.

---
    Kind of OT, but talking about making the WC roster made me wonder --- does anyone know how many players we'll be allowed to take? The CA rosters were expanded from 23 to 28 due to COVID, as were the Olympics squads (increased from the usual 18 to 22). This has helped us tremendously, as it allows Scaloni to have more fresh legs and various alternatives.

We don't know what the state of the virus will be like in November 2022, but it will presumably be more controlled by then as infection numbers continue to decline and vaccination rates increase. So will FIFA go back to the traditional 23-man rosters, or will they still allow these boosted squads they've been having lately?

If we go by traditional rules, Scaloni would have to cut 7 players from the 30-man list he has been using in WCQ.... I wonder who would be dropped, considering how everybody plays a role in this team and they're all pretty much regulars at this point.

If I had to guess -- Andrada, Foyth, Medina, Nico Dominguez, Lisandro/LMQ (although I'd prefer Pezzella being dropped), and Alario/Nico G/Alvarez would be cut... of course their form over the next year could change all this. The seventh player would be a bit harder since they have more of a prominent role, but if we want to maintain balance it would have to be either Joaquin or Papu.

All this without even considering the peripheral players like Dybala and Buendia...

This also makes me hope that Aguero is officially done with the NT at this point (if those other guys don't have room, Sergio has no business getting called-up even as a sub)... Also Icardi, whose potential call-up we were recently discussing, would have a very hard time making it in if we go back to 23 player rosters.

Who would you guys cut?

Albiceleste2010, afar, SupaMario and 3 others repped this.
  5. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Think Scaloni will go with these 23 players

GK: E. Martinez (30), Musso (28), Armani (36)
    RB: Molina (24), Montiel (25)
    CB: Romero (24), Otamendi (34), Pezzella (31), L. Martinez (24)/Quarta (26)
    LB: Acuna (31), Tagliafico (30)

DM: Paredes (28), Guido (28)
    CM: De Paul (28), Lo Celso (26), Palacios (24)
    LM: Papu (34)

RW: Messi (35), Di Maria (34)
    FW: Martinez (25), Alario (30)/Aguero (34)
    LW: Nico Gonzales (24), J. Correa (27)

-I would like to cut out Pezzella and put in both L. Martinez and Quarta.
    -I have a feeling that J. Alvarez has a good chance to replace Alario and Aguero by late 2022.
    -Would love to put A. Correa but don't see a place for him and Scaloni doesn't seem to trust him.

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That’s a question I’ve also asked.
    I’d be happy with taking 28. We are a deep side. 23 will make Scaloni’s job much harder. 5 subs is also great. We get fresh legs. I know FIFA was changing that to 4 when teams went to ET but 5 is perfect. Players do not have to burn themselves out.

As for who I’d cut. Well, that is tough to say. Probably the players who do not get many minutes.

But Scaloni would like to have similar players, just in case if a player is suspended.

There are certain players we cannot do without, IMO. Obviously Messi. But Emi, RDP, And Cuti. We need to bubble wrap these guys. They are so important for us. They are all leaders in their own way.

Im proud of these guys. I was telling people, I couldn’t wait till the 2018 World Cup was over so we could finally rebuild. I knew we had a really talented generation on the horizon. But there have been surprises like Cuti and Emi they I did not anticipate. And in such a short period of time, we’ve got a trophy and are building something special. Kudos to these guys and Scaloni.

Albiceleste2010, Burr, afar and 6 others repped this.
  7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    One of the things I tend to do is watch reactions after the match from our fans and the opponents.

For a second, I thought Fatso had started his own channel. But I guess a Uruguayan Higuain is out there.

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looks like Otamendi's long lost brother

9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, it’s somebody’s long lost brother…:ROFLMAO:

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hopefully Alvarez or A Correa gets extended minutes against Peru and impress Scaloni. The chance of Aguero returning these days is just as scary as having Higuain in WC 2018.

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

The confidence being radiated from this team nowadays... Messi's energy screaming "f*** with me now, mother ********ers" surrounded by these guys

12. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rodrigo De Paul is so important to this team. He is a beast of a player. Amazing.

Also, Cuti Romero,' wow

And this arquero is out of this world

Im so happy with the team Scaloni built

13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

14. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    #12639 DTCrackheads, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    This x 1000. We were lucky to not go down 1-0 or 2-0 early in this game. Emi was man of the match.

The boys woke up and put on a great performance after that. Could have easily been 5 or 6 goals. Lo Celso especially.

At the end of the game we had Di Maria, Tucu Correa, Messi, and Alvarez all on the pitch. Lo Celso and Palacios as DM. This is quite attacking! Scaloni playing Fifa again I see, haha.

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think this actually led into Lautaro's goal , after Messi passed it to RDP :D

I felt that the team was having a bit too much fun after the third goal, they're improvising and doing alot of stepover but forgot to shoots most of the time lol

ganapordiego and SupaMario repped this.
  16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We got Peru next. They lost to Bolivia today. So, they’re going to come in desperate. I think we need to put this game to bed early.

But a strange day in qualifiers. Ecuador lost to Venezuela. Paraguay lost to Chile. Colombia managed a draw at home v Brasil.

I think we should be at least 26 points. Drawing at home to Paraguay. Then Foyth’s error in Colombia. Not to mention, the brazuca fiasco. And even the last game away in Paraguay. But those games happen time to time.

ganapordiego, soul24rage and Rattlehead repped this.
  17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #12642 Rattlehead, Oct 11, 2021
    Well, we havent reach our current level in first 4 games of the qualifier. As for recent game vs Paraguay, to me its more than winnable game if wasnt the brazuca ref letting them going full mortal kombat the whole game.

In WC they'd have finished with 9 men at very least by doing that.

I think the next round would our toughest fixtures, away to Uruguay and at home against Brazil.

ganapordiego and soul24rage repped this.
  18. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Also, the pitch yesterday was brilliant - a shame we can't play on a similar surface away.

afar and ganapordiego repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I mentioned before that it was ridiculous how AFA scheduled our upcoming home game vs Brazil elsewhere due to politics and behind-the-scenes handshakes. This is by far the best pitch in the country... even Scaloni went public about how it gives the team an advantage over the opposition and allows Argentina to play their best football.

I have no problem with rotating stadiums, but vs Brazil you have to play your best cards and give no leeway.. it’s like if we decided to bench Messi that day just to “give everyone else a chance”. Nothing wrong with switching things up, but there’s a time and place for everything.. in the clasico you play your best cards.

Albiceleste2010, Burr, afar and 4 others repped this.
  20. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    #12645 afar, Oct 11, 2021
    Few observations -

1. It is quite apparent that winning the Copa has done wonders for our confidence, especially beating Brazil in Brazil after years of heartbreak.

Psychology in sports is sometimes pretty underrated- but winning has given this team a sense of belief and confidence to play freely.

This had been a major problem for us over the past years.

2. We are on a 24 game unbeaten streak - the current world record was just set by Italy with 37. It doesn’t matter too much in the grand scheme of things, but it would be nice to beat it.

3. We genuinely have one of the best goalkeepers in the world right now, and a defender who has the potential to be our greatest ever pure defender (Passarella aside). Those two factors are so, so important to winning tournaments. I’ve seen enough of Cuti Romero to make this claim.

4. RDP has elevated his game even more lately. I believe it was his first touch to control Emi’s long throw in and laser like pass to set up Lo Celso’s big opportunity. If Lo Celso can keep on progressing, we will have a world class midfield as well. Again, if the spine is strong, we should be winning tournaments.

5. I doubt that this happens (aside from the game against Italy), but it would be nice if we can play some of the European powerhouses before the World Cup - like France, Spain, Belgium, and England - just to give ourselves a measuring stick. Even games against Croatia, Denmark, Sweden, Portugal will help.

6. Messi has always been a quiet leader, but his leadership has also taken on another level.

7. Scaloni has been able to implement our very own trademark of one touch rapid passing. That has been missing since the Sabella days, and is very hard to do. All the props to Scaloni for being able to achieve this.

8. Couple of opportunities to improve on: we sometimes try to be too cute for our own liking, as Rattlehead has said. Messi is also really guilty of this (his miss in the Copa final comes to mind) - just shoot. There were so many opportunities yesterday where we should have just belted the ball, and we goofed around.

Also, as skillful as Di Maria is, he should be a substitute against bunkering teams. I feel like he will be fine against teams like Brazil, Germany, Spain, France, etc. But against bunkering teams he runs into blind alleys.

Additionally, not sure how much Paredes offers to this team. Maybe I don’t notice him too much because he never really stands out, but Guido seems to be more sound defensively against elite teams.

9. Finally - really happy about Molina’s performance - but we seem to have the most problems defensively on the wings, when the opponent moves the ball laterally from one side to the other.

21. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    1447395894458994690 is not a valid tweet id

22. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO the rules for the World Cup should be the same as qualifying just to be consistent. It also depends how paranoid they will be about testing I suppose. If they are still planning on testing everyone constantly regardless of symptoms or vaccination status, then you have to provide some buffer for the players that will inevitably be quarantined for minor exposures.

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #12648 Rattlehead, Oct 11, 2021
    Since Messi started playing for senior team, England never try to face us in friendlies , not coincidence.:)

As for Paredes, he never stood out probably because he's given a task just to cover the backline since Lo Celso and RDP are both attack minded , even if RDP also did defensive work but he's mostly involve in our attack and sprint forward. You dont want all your midfielder overcommitting on attacking.

He actually assisted Messi first goal against Bolivia after winning the ball , and the third goal came after his long shot blocked by the goalie.

afar repped this.
  24. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm glad that we have the Euromerica cup or whatever it is called vs Italy next summer. A good test against the Euro champs in a somewhat pressure game

Think the earliest that we will have friendlies vs European teams would be in October 2022 as the European teams will have to play in the UEFA nations league in both June and September 2022 period.

afar, Albiceleste2010 and Loco repped this.
  25. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    They should have just labeled it as the Diego Maradona Cup. Then challenges would be really flying in. ;)

soul24rage repped this.