Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So… why isn’t Cuti playing today for Tottenham? He’s not even on the bench. Did he have to quarantine or something?

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exequiel Palacios with a crucial goal to help Bayer Leverkusen win 2-1 in their Europa League opening fixture

His first official goal with the German side, btw

On a side note, Alario got his first start post-injury.

DTCrackheads and soul24rage repped this.
  3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lol Pipita, you "set the bar" alright

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You hear that Pocho...

[​IMG]

bennyf118 and Loco repped this.
  5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The only thing Fatso set the bar high on was on how plates of food he can eat.

6. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I like Higuain as a player. He was a great 9 for Argentina. Unfairly treated. I know im alone in this.

We tend to treat good players like crap (biggest case in point: Messi. But also: Di Maria) and in extreme cases we bully them into oblivion. Pipita didnt deserve it.

locoxriver repped this.
  7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Negative. Fatso came off as a player who felt he did no wrongs and as fans we owed him for his service. That’s the problem. At least players like ADM and Kun had made comments that they did not perform to their best and they owe the national team. And now you can see Fatso is making comments that he set the bar high and this and that. Like he is some legend. He deprived us on trophies because he was mentally weak and couldn’t finish sitters. But whatever, we’ve continued to be a much better team since he’s been gone. Color me surprised.

In 2007 he skipped the U20s because he wanted to go on vacation and he didn’t get called up in 2008 for the Olympics and guess what? We won both of those. And now we won the latest CA without him as well.

Free at last, free at last, thank god almighty we are free at last.

Burr, Cosmin10 and Rattlehead repped this.
  8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thats the problem with Pipita. Kun, Angelito, Messi always felt they're in debt (even though injuries & bad luck are out of their hands). Higuain never admitted his bad performances,, instead he keeps reminding people of his goal against Belgium. Remember that horrible against Nigeria? Rojo's goal saved him from 4 straight humiliations.

I remember it took him sometime to decides between France & Argentina... Unlucky for us, he chosed Argentina. Players like Messi, Kun, Angelito, Masche , even Dybala would picked Argentina in less than a heartbeat. Messi & Dybala in particular, could easily made it to first team of Spain & Italy.

Kun & Angelito chances in 2007 & 2008 finals were 1 vs 1 after receiving a perfect pass from Banega & Messi, and we all know Higuain aint finishing that.

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We never bully the other guys to oblivion though, we often put big part of the blame on the manager aswell.

Even when we wants Messi to be dropped, thats because we dont want him to get hurts further by the critics and the fans who keeps saying he's not good enough at international level, when in reality, its the entire team thats not good enough.

Higuain also had big adventage since many of our coaches prefers to starts him over Kun. Majority of Aguero's cap was as a sub due to Higuain presence.

Christina99 repped this.
  10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What are you talking about? Aguero was the one who said "when we're not around any more (referring to the 2014-16 generation), they are going to miss us" (this was prior to the CA title). Fideo was throwing fits last year when Scaloni wasn't calling him up because he felt he was better than all the other players in his position.

Come on, we know you don't like Pipita, but Aguero and Di Maria held the same exact views as him for the longest that they were "underappreciated" and deserved more credit for their NT work. Rest assured that if they were in his position of having retired from the NT, they would be making the same comments right now.

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL Scaloni praises the conditions of El Monumental's pitch after the Bolivia game, stating that it's the best in the country and that it will give the team an advantage over the rest because of how smoothly the ball runs, yet AFA decides to schedule the November WCQ game vs Brazil in..... San Juan

********ing politics, man...

12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Sure but again, he at least acknowledged his shortcomings and his willingness to continue to fight. ADM, I think he proved us all wrong, and I’m fine with that. I can admit it I was wrong about wanting his return. And that’s all it takes.

Look, dude, I get it, he’s a gallina but you’ve pretty much have always come to his defense. Had he been a bostero… basta, loco, please.

I have no problems with the other provinces getting matches. How often will they get to see this match be played? BsAs will have Uruguay and Peru prior to that.

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right, but if your coach is praising a specific pitch and saying it gives your team an advantage over the competition, why wouldn't you want to play your most important game there? Not saying every game should be played in El Monumental, but shouldn't they have played, say, Peru in San Juan and Brazil in El Monu?

It's all politics and exchange of favors between the higher-ups. I just wish they actually prioritized the sporting aspect for once.

14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nah, stop it with that River/Boca shit.. he's hardly a River player... I think he played like 20 games tops for us and didn't win any titles. Plus I've defended plenty of bosteros and criticized plenty of River players. I just agree with Cristina that he's treated unfairly, but that doesn't mean I didn't think at a certain point it was time to part ways with him in the NT

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I know where you’re getting it. But as I said, how often will the people of SJ get to see a World Cup qualifier between us v Brasil? Politics or not, I think the fans out there will be thrilled about this.

DTCrackheads and locoxriver repped this.
  16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Anytime I crack a joke about some River player, here you come barging in here defending them, Armani, Enzo for example. Half the time I do it to break your balls… :D

By the way, I think Alvarez is going to be special. I know you’re not as high on him as some of us but the kid is going to be very good. His next move his critical for his development.

17. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Neither was Lo Celso. I think they have to quarantine for 14 days since returning.

The Emi's (Buendia and Martinez) also couldn't play on the weekend.

SupaMario repped this.
  18. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Really nice goal and I'm really looking forward to Palacios taking a big step forward this year. He should be a great depth player for the NT and eventual starter. Happy for him!

locoxriver repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's developing in an interesting manner... he has very good control/first touch, plenty of mobility, and his finishing is getting better. Like I said in the past, one kind of forgets how young he is (barely 21) since he debuted at such a young age.

Hopefully he keeps it up, because he has shown an interesting level of growth over the course of the last year. Definitely hoping to see him get some minutes in the October fixtures.

soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who will he replace as a starter? I think Scaloni is pretty content with Paredes, Gio and RDP.

21. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Maybe in a couple years, or if we have some injuries or fatigue to deal with. Its important to have depth. 3 MF starters is not enough.

The important thing is that Palacios continues to develop and push those three you mentioned to be the best they can be, or else one will sit. I like how well rounded Palacios' game can be. He can defend, tackle, dribble, pass, create, and shoot. Really all around midfielder. Just needs to continue to get better.

soul24rage, locoxriver and SupaMario repped this.
  22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I really like Palacios. I know certain people will claim River bias :cautious:, but he is a very complete midfielder that is perfect for the modern game.

Much like Julian, one forgets just how young he is because he has accomplished so much already and was incorporated into the NT when he was still a baby. The kid is barely 22! I think he is going to play a crucial role for us throughout the next decade.

Plus, he has the personality to play big games. He has already shown this on multiple occasions. Other players are good but fold under pressure when things get hot... Palacios on the other hand grows in those opportunities

DTCrackheads, soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’ll be honest… I thought Palacios would be much further in his career by now. Injuries and a manager not playing him have slowed down his growth. Granted, he’s 22(About to be 23) he’s still got time. But the time should be now. I hope he has a better season.

soul24rage, Loco and locoxriver repped this.
  24. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Palacio is a player with much upside potential, but needs to learn his best fit on the pitch. I don't know if has yet found his best midfield position. Perhaps being Argentinean, at first he wanted to be the South American "10" - but imo, when he plays up the pitch its not his best role. He really should watch guys like RDP and develop into a box-to-box midfielder, maybe more hybrid between a #6 & #8.

DTCrackheads and soul24rage repped this.
  25. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh, im not a gallina at all. If anything, i rooted for estudiantes since the Sabella days. But its true what you guys say that Higuain never acted like he was at fault, like other players like Di Maria did. I still think we judge them too harshly, though. This isnt about clubs, but about how we treat players in general. Messi and Di Maria reedemed themselves cause they are amazing players (and Messi is a Soccer God) and cause they have an unrelentless fighting spirit, but not everyone can be like that. That golden generation that reached 3 finals in 3 years got payed dust in general (except for the obvious exceptions)

Di Maria had to endure to be called every insult under the sun by the fans and sport journalists for years and years, even when he was always at least very good for the NT (i still think we wouldnt have lost the WC final with him) and he had to score the winning goal in the Copa America final in the freaking Maracana against Brasil to be redeemed?? Like, thats an almost impossible task, he should have been "reedemed" earlier (or never be insulted at all) cause he is excellent and he always fights for the NT