Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Not even.

Armani won't ever lose his place as long as he starts for his club and stays healthy.
    In Argentina changing keepers is an scandal and there is also the backing of the bover press who think boca and river are on par with any club in the world.

2. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    This is so weird. In hockey, you change keepers in the middle of the game!

SupaMario repped this.
  3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, Barovero should have been Argentina's starter for years, yet Romero kept the spot as an undisputed figure because he stopped a penalty vs. Holland....

4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #10579 SupaMario, Dec 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Romero would’ve been our #1 if he didn’t get injured during the World Cup(Training Camp) in Russia. He took the job at the 08 Olympics when Ustari went down. I gets that the only way our GK’s get promoted. We kinda have a history of that.

5. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Romero was amazing for the NT. You can pretty much pick and choose any player of his time there and most of them under performed for their NT in comparison to the club team. After his injury we inherited Willy/ Armani who were abysmal. Who knows what would've happened if he stayed healthy for that tournament.

I'd like Martinez to start too but Armani isn't the worst #1 to have. There are far more pressing matters Scaloni needs to attend to. The first is the obsession with Otamendi. Next is incorporate the youth (Emi included)

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Let’s not get carried away now.

locoxriver repped this.
  7. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Being a Villa fan, watching every single minute that Emi has played for us, there is no doubt in my mind that he should be the definite starter. As of right now I don't see a single weakness in his game; fantastic on crosses, great reflexes and solid with his feet. The Villa defence looks so comfortable with him behind them, he brings a safety which Armani is nowhere near. Saying that, Emi will probably have a clanger today vs Chelsea :p

8. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    He was ... maybe not a sexy name but still don’t see how anyone can complain about him.

9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Amazing? I think don’t so. A valiant servant? Perhaps. I was never fully comfortable with Romero in goal during a match. You always expected him to bobble the ball or something like that.

locoxriver repped this.
  10. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had some great saves for us. I think most of his goofs were early on. I was never fully comfortable with him but his game always seemed to elevate for us versus his club career at least.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #10586 Rattlehead, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Lautaro opened the new year with his first hattrick for Inter. A classic left foot, right foot and header hattrick. Lautaro-Lukaku partnership keeps getting better. Inter has scored most goal in the league so far with 40, while the closest is Milan with 34.

Anyway, time flies and Copa is only half year away (if no cancellation).

Burr repped this.
  12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Albiceleste2010 and soul24rage repped this.
  13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #10589 SupaMario, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Comedic defending from River. Rojas makes a schoolboy error. Armani left 1 v 1 with Luiz Adriano who slots it home under Armani’s legs.

And now the Colombian, Carrascal, makes a terrible challenge that gets him sent off.

River appear to be toast. And... they are, from the FK, Palmeiras score on a header. So much for another Boca-River CL final.

Boca plays tomorrow.

Burr repped this.
  15. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Armani and Pinola are ex players.

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  16. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Happy New Year to everyone. Back in shielding here in England.

Watched the game last night and it pertains to who should be the custodian in net. It has to be Martinez. Armani had a shocker.

Scaloni must pick players on form. On form Martinez is the best keeper in the PL. Not a mean feat. He commands his area. Comes for crosses and claims them. Organizes his defence very vocally. Is imposing physically. A better penalty saver in that he actually moves in the direction of the shot. Also plays out from the back and is a very good distributor with the ball at his feet. Arteta looks a real fool now for letting him leave Arsenal.

It is madness from Scaloni to persist with Armani simply because he was the current keeper. You want to win titles you field the best possible team you have.

River dominated that game had some great chances Borre,Carrascal with Montiel showing why he is a superb attacking fullback but has plenty to learn defending wise. Three shots on goal for Palmeiras all goals. Armani and Rojas deserve great criticism and Carrascal was brain dead with his challenge. Pinola gave the ball away which resulted in the just offside goal as well. He was being included in squads last year. It is time for Romero, Quarta, Senesi and Perez to be given the reins full time.

A bit like the London Argentine contingent. Lamela,Lo Celso and Lanzini breaking rules on gatherings during the surge in virus cases. Mind you most footballers think they are above the law anyway and special. Idiots. Aside from Lo Celso Lamela and Lanzini should never be considered for selection again. Not good enough. Lamela remains a peripheral figure in most matches and Lanzini as well. Both are also incredibly prone to injuries.

17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boca obviously rumored to get way too many players but there is some chatter about them getting Gaich on loan from Russia which could be a better development for him. They need a striker so he would definitely get some use.

SupaMario repped this.
  18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Duchene2Mackinnon and soul24rage repped this.
  19. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Reminds everyone of his quality

20. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armani just gave up another bad goal...

DTCrackheads and SupaMario repped this.
  21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Velasco‘s first goal was a beauty though.

1348072421773996033 is not a valid tweet id

Maybe like Kun... who also took River to the woodshed 14 years ago...

manu chao repped this.
  22. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lovely to see Messi getting back among the goals, 2 braces in 2 matches now. Looks much sharper so far in 2021, both touch and that little acceleration are more prominent. I have to admit I had some doubts - as good as he was for Argentina vs Bolivia and Peru, he had some, for him, poor games in the start of the season for Barca. I guess his motivation was quite different then though...

soul24rage repped this.
  23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pochetinho subbed in Icardi and he had goal and an assist. Knowing how fragile Kun these days, I think we might still need to keep an eye on him.

24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dybala was subbed out with a knee injury today. He will likely miss the match v Inter.

It is important to note that most of our forwards have been struggling to find goals this season.

Lautaro has been inconsistent, even though he's goal 9 league goal(3 came last week).

Kun has been injured for what seems like forever.

Messi is Messi; he can turn it on whenever he likes. But it does seem to be a bit healthier and happier. Barcelona has been undefeated in 8 matches straight.

Nico González is finally finding his feet again after being out with an injury. I hope he can continue his hot-streak.

Alario- I don't understand why he's back riding the bench when he was on fire early in the season. He got injured but has been back for a while but can't crack the starting 11.

Dybala- It just has been a bad season for him. He apparently got COVID 2x, and he's been on and off with injuries, contract disputes and has been relegated to the bench. He shows flashes of magic but we need more out of him. I hope he can get healthy and get healthy soon. He is still an immense talent.

Last season everybody was on fire. I just hope this slump doesn't translate over to the CA and qualifiers. But the good news is, we have had multiple goal scorers in qualifiers and are not relying on a single player.

There is also a concern with our midfielders, who are also struggling with injuries and playing time, Lo Celso, Palacios, Paredes have all missed significant time. De Paul is being forced to carry Udinese, who now will miss Pussetto for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL. Even Ocampos has been having a so-so season after Sevilla. Tucu Correa at Lazio as well. It just hasn't been an inconsistent season for many of our players.

Before the CA, we have huge matches in the qualifiers. We need to continue our winning ways. For the next four matches, we have a home match v Uruguay then @ brasil, followed by a home match v Colombia, and then away at Chile.

Round 7-8 will come days before the CA. Players cannot afford to get injured. This is a concern of mine. These are friendlies v Haiti. These are games where players are going to give it their all.

-------------

On a side note, Hertha Berlin, Ascacibar is back in the team after a LONG time out. He's on the bench but hopefully, he can find some type of form that caught the eye of many.

Klimowicz has been getting quite a bit of game time for Stuttgart and has even started. I guess they hold him in high regard since last season he was with their B team.

locoxriver and soul24rage repped this.
  25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Cassano was kind of spot-on regarding Dybala the other day:

“All his coaches at Juventus did not consider him necessary, so I wonder if he is a champion or a great player," Cassano said in a discussion on the official Twitch channel of former Italy forward Christian Vieri.

"For me he is not a champion, he does not make the difference. He has [scored] good goals, like I saw [Antonio] Di Natale and [Lorenzo] Insigne do. But if you want to take Juventus' No.10 [shirt], you have to be at a higher level.”

"I have the feeling that, when they put pressure on him, he sh*ts himself!

"And then he asks for €10m per season? Oh, please!"
    https://www.goal.com/en-us/amp/news...sure-on-him-cassano/y5l8ey8zrf6k1joy0yecheb4u

I think we’ve all been waiting for Dybala to take it to that next level, but it just never happens.. There are arguments always being made about his position/role, his coaches, his teammates, and everything else in between, but the truth is he never really exploded and has failed to realize his potential.

Is the guy talented as hell? Of course! Does he have loads of golazos and assists to his name? No shit... but like Cassano said, so do plenty of other great players. When he needs to appear in Juve’s decisive games he almost always is a complete ghost, and in the NT so far he has shown less than even Alario.

He needs to step up and command his team, appear in the big games, and show more heart. He still has time to show the world his true capabilities, but at this point the clock is ticking. I know he has a lot of admirers around these parts, but to me he has been the biggest Argentine letdown so far this century (despite his Juve titles and goals) given how much hype accompanied him.

Burr, SupaMario and soul24rage repped this.