Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    What a waste of talent.

Club Brugge would have been a much better squad for him to join.

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dario Benedetto with a goal in Marseille's 2-1 win vs. Monaco. He had been dry following the COVID break (no league goals in 12 consecutive games between August and November), but has now scored in his last 3 Ligue 1 appearances (Nantes, Nimes, Monaco). From my understanding he has taken on a more creative, playmaking role in France as opposed to the goal-scoring reference/target man role he had in Boca.

OM are now only one point away from PSG, with a chance to takeover the first place spot if they win their postponed match vs. Nice.

Balerdi has been going to the bench mostly in the domestic league, but he did play 5 of the 6 Champions League matches........... where Marseille got their asses handed to them time and time again. :laugh: The aggregate score in those games was 0-12 against the French -- all 5 games lost, including three 3-0 blowouts. Coincidentally the only match they won in the group stage was their home match vs. Olympiakos........ when Balerdi was suspended from a red in the previous game. :speechless:

In other European action, Nicolas Gonzalez was on the scoresheet as Stuttgart surprisingly trashed Dortmund 5-1 in the Bundesliga. He was a sub (just barely returned from an injury), but the 20 minutes he was given on the pitch were enough for him to score for his fourth match in a row (Schalke, Frankfurt, Hoffenheim, Borussia Dortmund). He now has an incredible 4 goals scored in his last 134 minutes of action.

1337795991316140032 is not a valid tweet id

20-year-old Mateo Klimowicz, who has been starting regularly for Stuttgart, hasn't scored since September but was able to clinch an assist today.

A bit unrelated, but while looking at the Bundesliga I noticed that Ascacibar hasn't played a single minute for Hertha this season. It appears he is quite injury prone: from May-October he was out with a foot injury, a week later he suffered a hamstring injury, and upon returning from that he immediately encountered a muscle injury which has left him out since. He hasn't been able to feature at all, other than one match in October when he was taken to the bench but wasn't used. Hopefully he can make a comeback: he was quite a promising player, but it can be hard to return after such long period off the pitch.

SupaMario and soul24rage repped this.
  3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I know no one here cares about MLS, but Lucas Zelarayan (who in November was chosen as the 2020 league newcomer of the year) scored twice in the MLS Cup final to give Columbus Crew a 3-0 win and their first silverware in 11 years.

[​IMG]

Milton Valenzuela (22 years old; former Newell's), a leftback who has represented the Argentina U-20 NT ten times, also contributed to the achievement.

A little info on Valenzuela from Columbus's website:

A do-it-all defender with touch, tenacity, and speed, Milton Valenzuela's 2018 numbers spoke for themselves.

That season, the Argentine was quick to showcase his offensive capabilities, scoring his first professional goal just four games into the season and finishing with six assists on the year, two of which were game-winning providers. On top of that, he provided a League-high 27 successful crosses from open play – the most of any MLS defender.
    At 20 years old, he finished his debut season with the third-most tackles won (57) in Major League Soccer as part of 87 tackles total (the fourth-most League-wide) in 30 appearances.

In terms of his fit in the team, there was no doubt Valenzuela's skillset would continue to be a focal point of the Crew's high-intensity profile under Caleb Porter that defends from the front and attacks from the back.

Fast-forward to 2020
    After overcoming a season-ending knee injury in early 2019, the Argentine had an emotional return to form with a full-90-minute performance in the final stages of this year's preseason, and doubled down with a performance in the 2020 home-opener that reminded Head Coach Caleb Porter just how crucial Valenzuela is to the Crew's style.

"He’s an unbelievable player," Porter said after the Crew's 1-0 Opening Match victory over NYCFC back on March 1. "I mean, I didn’t get to coach him last year, I watched him from afar prior to that. Massive impact for us, both sides of the ball. He’s even better than I thought he was. This guy, he’s a top, top-class leftback."​

The pair now becomes the 24th and 25th Argentines to have lifted the MLS Cup.

Burr and SupaMario repped this.
  4. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly even if none of these guys will feature for the national team it still gives me some pride to see Argentines dominate MLS. It definitely enhances our reputation in the U.S. at least.

Should also be noted Gabriel Heinze was hired to coach Atlanta United, so the pipeline there probably continues.

SupaMario and locoxriver repped this.
  5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dybala scores his first league goal. A great goal.

From what I read, COVID had taken a toll on him, it lingered with him for a while. This is why he missed out on our first two qualifiers this year.

Also, he hasn’t adapted to Pirlo’s system, whatever that is.

Hopefully he could make-up for lost time.

Rattlehead, locoxriver and soul24rage repped this.
  6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, cv19 actually do wonder for Zlatan.

7. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
  8. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Ok, Romero has turned around my opinion. He's clearly the best argentine CB in europe right now.

9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Some exciting matches today.

Watched Juve v Atalanta earlier. Romero played well. He did pick-up a yellow but overall he did well.

Inter-Napoli just kicked—off.
    Tottenham v Liverpool
    Santos-Gremio
    Racing-Boca

Btw- Why is Alario back on the bench for Leverkusen? He was on fire. Did he pick up an injury? Never mind, I just read he was injured.

10. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Lo Celso is a game changer for us.

Dybala so far has wasted his career at Juve.

11. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm still waiting for a South American young up-n-comer to accept a transfer to the Russian league, and do well. . . As far as I can think, I don't know any Argentinean that went there and succeeded. Gaich is there ruining the early part of his career. I don't know why, but our guys don't go there and light-it up. In fact, its been mostly busts. There is talent in that league, but I wish our guys would stay at home longer but if they accept a transfer it would be to the more traditional leagues in Europe

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well Chori Dominguez went to Russia and tore it up.. he won the league title with both Rubin Kazan and Zenit, as well as leading Zenit to their first ever (and only) UEFA cup/Europa League title (contributed heavily to the 4-0 whooping of Bayern Munich in semifinals as well). During his stint in Russia he won 3 domestic titles, 2 European international cups, and was chosen once as the player of the year... not too shabby.

Ansaldi also stuck around in Russia for quite a while before making the leap to a bigger European league. During his time there he won multiple titles and earned the majority of his NT call-ups.

Defender Leandro Fernandez, who formed part of our 2004 Olympic Gold squad, spent nearly a decade playing for Dynamo Moscow and is remembered fondly by fans.

But yeah, Cavenaghi went through living hell there wasting some of his peak years. Maxi Moralez, Daniel Montenegro, and Paredes all threw away a season in Russia as well.

Then there’s the recent wave of diverted careers: Driussi, Rigoni, Mammana, Kranevitter, Gaich... clearly that league is no good for our guys, but money talks and no one listens to anything else

SupaMario repped this.
  13. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    When Paredes moved to Zenit, I thought his career at top level was over. Then he moved to PSG a year later and has since played in a Champions League final. Hopefully Paredes can be an inspiration for other Argentinians currently stranded in Siberia.

In other news:

- Lo Celso created an assist against arguably the best team in the world, Liverpool.
    - De Paul is back to his usual best for Udinese.
    - Papu Gomez was rumoured to have a bust up with the coach, but then he played for Atalanta against Juve, so perhaps they made amends?
    - Buendia is currently tearing England’s second division apart and Arsenal are said to be interested in him
    - Romero is the best Argentine defender in Europe at the moment
    - Nehuen Perez has finally had a run of games with Granada in La Liga

SupaMario repped this.
  14. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Messi equals pele supposed goal tally. Hopefully PSG move soon

15. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lo Celso injured. Why are our players so ********ing fragile? :mad:

16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pezzella has been starting over Martinez Quarta in Fiorentina for a while now... in fact, MQ hasn't seen a single minute on the pitch since Prandelli took over as Fiore's manager at the beginning of November..

I don't know what long-term plans they have for Lucas, but this is not a good sign heading into the WCQs and Copa America.. the guy had been starting regularly for the past 2 years in Argentina, and just now that we need him in form he's riding the bench. I wonder if Scaloni will drop him altogether if things don't change by March..

soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Guido Pizarro and Nahuel Guzman helped Tigres lift their first ever CONCACAF Champions League as they played the entire 90 minutes in the final vs. LAFC.

The pair had already played the tournament's final three times (2016, 2017, and 2019), but lost on all occasions. Guido, the team's captain, lifted his 8th title with the Mexican side, while Guzman (part of our 2015 & 2016 Copa America rosters) celebrated his 9th trophy with the club.

The two now have a ticket to Doha to participate in the 2020 Club World Cup in February, where they will try to lead a CONCACAF/Mexican team to the final for the first time...

On a side note, Guzman had this little clown moment in the final tonight:

soul24rage and Chesco United repped this.
  18. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hope River Plate win the Copa Libertadores.

soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  19. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I watched the Fiorentina-Juve match today and Pezzella looked good. He wears the armband for Viola. I had forgotten about LMQ to be honest.

In a similar note, I’m glad to see Juventus crashing and burning. Over the last few years, whenever something went wrong people blamed Dybala, when in fact he helped them lift league titles year after year, and he was the league MVP last season. This season, he’s had a falling out with upper-management and he’s ridden the bench. Who are they pointing finger at now?

As for defenders, I really hope Romero gets a look. He started a bit slow this season but he appears to be killing it in Atalanta. Chelsea are apparently keeping a close on him. But Atalanta does have a loan-buy clause and will exercise that option. With the ways he’s been playing, Juve may regret not calling him up.

locoxriver and soul24rage repped this.
  20. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    ^^because dybala is Argentinian talent therefore he gets automatically shitted on. If he was French, Spanish or Portuguese then he would be sold for 120m euros and rated in everybody's top 5.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lautaro scored for Inter and they're only 1 point behind Milan who currently top the table.

22. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Pochettino is strongly rumored to be the next PSG manager

I suppose that's good news for Paredes, Di Maria and Icardi

I wonder how much influence Poch will have in PSG's transfer targets. He might target some Argies. In his final few seasons at Spurs, he signed Lo Celso, Foyth and allegedly also wanted to sign De Paul.

23. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DTCrackheads, soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Won’t matter if River ends up winning another CL. Probably won’t matter if they don’t. Removing a GK is very difficult for managers,
    for whatever reason.

soul24rage repped this.
  25. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    True, I think the only way Scaloni will seriously consider starting E. Martinez is if Aston Villa makes it to the top 4.