Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Deepest condolences from Germany. The best player of his generation

Leon12, SupaMario, RacingGirl and 2 others repped this.
  2. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Such a shame he should have lived much longer

Albiceleste2010, Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Very very sad, he was my father's idol.

RIP Legend

Albiceleste2010 and RacingGirl repped this.
  5. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Didn't he have a supposed successful brain surgery few weeks ago?

I personally watched him in 1994 wc I was young but I still perfectly remember his goal vs Greece his celebration then is forever stuck in my head. Man can't believe they banned him for ephedrine what a joke

ShortyMac repped this.
  6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    My condolences to all BigSoccer members who loved and appreciated Maradona's football. 60 is too young to die.

Rest In Peace, Diego.

7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's my father fav footballer , and he;s been supporting Argentina since Kempes day. Its certainly brought up on me.

When I showed him some Diego's highlights from Boca days, I was surprised he remember what move he's about to do in most of those highlights.

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    RIP Diego. You will be missed. One of a kind.

9. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Very sad news. Sorry to see him go at a young age. RIP Diego. Thanks for the memories.

10. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    RIP my first football hero.

11. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Man, I am heartbroken. It seems like my family member died.

I am a little older than most of the members here at BigSoccer. I started following Diego from 1979.

He was my father’s favorite; my father passed away May - and that wound will never ever heal.

All my soccer following is through my father’s lens, so to hear Diego pass away the same year - man, I have tears in my eyes that are not even dropping.

12. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Goodbye, Diego. Thanks for all the unforgettable moments of happiness and of sadness that you made me live. When you played against my team, I wanted to hate you, but I couldn't. Instead I admired, and most of all respected you, for all you've given to your Argentina.
    Rest in peace, barrilete cósmico.
    Hermanos argentinos, mis condolencias.

13. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    All men must die, even demi-gods, apparently. He captured my imagination at 5. So much of my love of futbol is tied to him that this is a disorienting feeling. Such a tragic life in so many ways, but it has to be said that he lived fully. RIP D10S! There'll always be a Diego sized hole in my heart.

14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The mayor of Naples called for the renaming of the Stadio San Paolo in honor of Diego.

Apparently Italian law prohibits the naming of a public building in honor of someone who died less than ten years ago (strange law..), but the city council has already begun moving forward with the process.

15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is strange, this hit me hard when I heard. I didn’t think it would. When news broke a few weeks back that he had surgery, it became okay, he’ll pull through as he always does, and he did. Today, his body had enough, it was his time. He lived a measly 60 years but in those 60 years he gave the world a lifetime of happiness. There will never be another Diego Armando Maradona.

[​IMG]

17. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    RIP legend.

soul24rage repped this.
  18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

[​IMG]

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He conquered the world but sadly lost the battle with himself. He may be gone but the myth of Maradona will live on forever.

Burr, Siempre_Albiceleste, afar and 3 others repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It’s a sad story. He started to take of his family at 15. 15... He never got the chance to develop, or didn’t know how. But that’s not here or there anymore. Time will go on and we’ll continue to remember his greatness on the pitch.
    ——-

Also, it appears Tigre will honor Diego on Sunday with this special jersey.

What a beauty.
    [​IMG]

manu chao, celito, Burr and 2 others repped this.
  21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Will all that's happening this year and then Diego's death, that pic feels dystopian.

SupaMario and soul24rage repped this.
  22. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Rest In Peace legend.

An unbelievable footballer and larger than life character.

soul24rage repped this.
  23. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I am sorry, but I am having a hard time believing he is no more. So much of my childhood was shaped by him.

—————
    El País sports writer Diego Torres on the death of a football icon and fellow countryman:

"In terms of courage, Maradona was the greatest of all the greats. None of the most important players in the history of football were as brave as he was. None of them put themselves on the line in the way he did. None of them were as generous with their team mates as he was. None faced more powerful enemies as he did. And none of them lost as much as he did".

————

What Maradona wanted to put on his tombstone - 15 years ago:

“Thanks for having played football because it’s the sport that gave me most happiness and freedom and it’s like having touched the sky with my hand. Thanks to the ball.

“Yes, I would put on the tombstone, ‘Thanks to the ball.”
    —————

—————

upload_2020-11-25_23-14-57.png
    Cemetery in Naples the day when Napoli won their 1st title - message to the people buried, “You don’t know what you missed.”

—————

Maradona on meeting the Pope in 1987:

"I argued with him because I was in the Vatican and I saw all these golden ceilings and afterwards I heard the Pope say the Church was worried about the welfare of poor kids. Sell your ceiling then amigo, do something!"
    —————

Zlatan on Instagram:

"Maradona is not dead he is immortal. God gave the world the best gifted football player of all times. He will live forever and ever."

————

Ray Hudson:

Jorge Valdano said it perfectly..."Beyond everything else,no football ever had a better experience than when it was #diegomaradona`s left foot."
    We will never see a greater footballer. Ever. Football cries for you Diego.
    R.I.P.
    —————

————
    1331710119143411713 is not a valid tweet id

————

https://www.theringer.com/platform/...th-argentina-legend?__twitter_impression=true

I don’t know why anyone cares what a person can do with a ball; I only know that Maradona was able to do things with one that, when you saw them, made you feel like the universe was telling you a secret. The sight of him with the ball at his feet, this little guy with his hair streaming back, all chest and thighs and churning elbows, had a power that is given to very few people in any generation, the power to make a large part of the world hold its breath.

————

Ruud Gullit:

“The best player there has ever been, better than Pele. I watched him closely in Italy every week and he was at a different level to everyone else.

“Some of the things he did were unbelievable. He could control the ball without looking, which meant if the pass was on, he would take it.”

————

Burr, soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Matthäus story: Everyone knows he didnt shoot the pen in '90 because one of his shoes got a broken stud and he had to exchange them at half time. Only few people know though that that was not the main reason but it was the lacing of the shoes. At the farewell game of Platini in 88 Diego forgot his shoes and Lothar gave him his ones. Diego changed them to his famous upwards and loose lacing. Afterward, Matthäus kept them as they were right into the 90 final where the stud broke. So basically, that the stopgap shoes didnt have the lacing as Maradona was the reason why Brehme took the pen and not Matthäus.

The shoe and Maradona's shirt are in the German football museum today

afar, Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  25. Matt990

Matt990 New Member

Rangers, Inter
    Jul 26, 2020
    The greatest player of all time.
    The image of him with the World Cup trophy will live on forever.

I’m two generations after Diego but he transcended the sport. RIP legend.