Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Still upset we didn’t get max points again.
    Next round of games are massive. Home v Uruguay and away at Brasil.

2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If we beat Uruguay and Ecuador dropped points, we'd be heading to Brazil more comfortably.

3. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    With Otamendi suspended vs Uruguay, I wonder who's going to partner MQ. I would love it if it's Romero, but I think Pezzella will be it.

4. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Armani is not a goalkeeper who fills me with confidence. He is rooted to his line and does not command his box at all. He’s also rather clumsy on the ball.

Honestly, goalkeepers can play a decisive role in deciding international tournaments. Armani is not a bad goalkeeper but he’s no game-winner either.

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’m a big fan of RdP but I think he needs to be the top dog or at least the top 2-3 for him to shine. I don’t think he’s bad by any stretch he just had clicked yet. Maybe another game or two then we may have to replace him. I don’t know yet.

Lo Celso is a god damn gem. Such a versatile player. He is becoming almost irreplaceable.

Nico Gonzalez. Who would’ve thought, right? Only 22 as well. Appears to have a bright future. Dybala, who? Mauro Who?!?

Parades was quite good. Nothing more to say.
    The defense is still a worry. As you noted, a proper RB is needed. Otamendi needs to be replaced, ASAP. LMQ, has showed signs of jitters but I hope he can shake them off come March.

As for you boy, Armani. Cmon, loco. I think it is time for him to be replaced, at least after the CA. It’s not that he’s doing bad but we perhaps have better options. I don’t see an issue giving Emi a chance.

Finally. Scaloni should be given credit. He isn’t scared to try new faces.

6. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Since De Paul is in poor form and Paredes is not good defensively, do you guys think it would make sense to bench De Paul for a more defensive midfielder?

That way, Paredes’ creative passing can be used in the final third, so he is less of a liability defensively. When PSG reached the Champions League final last season, they played Paredes as a central midfielder and not defensive midfielder.

Who can play this role as defensive midfielder? I do not know. Ascacibar should have been that guy but injuries. Lisandro Martinez has occasionally played there but that is not his main position. Guido Rodriguez is average.

Maybe Fausto Vera?

7. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    IMO Palacios as central when he's fit again and "free" Paredes a little more. Vera is young and still plays in Argentina and the others simply don't cut it.

That or simply Ocampos and play a ballsy 4-2-3-1

soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lo Celso, Palacios, and Paredes would form a nice, balanced trio in midfield.. all 3 are technically gifted offensively and can provide clean assists at any point in time, and although none are necessarily destroyer-types, they all contribute their share defensively.

Add the speed and quality of Messi, Lautaro, and Ocampos/Gonzalez up top and you really have something to get excited about.

This team may just find it’s ideal form by the time Qatar rolls around..

9. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    #10459 DTCrackheads, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Let's talk about that first substitution of Ocampos for De Paul when we were up 2-0. Very nifty play by Scaloni to take off a balanced midfielder in exchange for an attacking winger with a 2-0 lead. It definitely worked since Ocampos was involved in a few scoring chances soon after.

De Paul has been rather mediocre these past few games and I think he needs a rest/re-fresh from the bench.

Albiceleste2010, Loco and soul24rage repped this.
  10. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    #10460 DTCrackheads, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Armani does not inspire confidence. He looks rather timid and weak. Looks like a pink panther back there. He does not come out to attack crosses or set pieces, and he almost got burned today on a set piece.

In the World Cup against France, I'd like to see him save that one low shot. That is a big difference making oppportunity right there. An aggressive goalie with good reflexes would save it. Armani stood on his line and didn't react quick enough.

I want a keeper who is authoritative and controls the entire penalty area like his own home. Someone like Abbondanzieri or Romero come to mind. Armani tends to retreat to his goal line and wait for the play to come to him.

He is a solid professional, but not a difference maker. If we want to go far in International football, we need a difference maker in every position.

Emi Martinez can be that guy.

Albiceleste2010, Edhardy and soul24rage repped this.
  11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We could’ve scored 5-6 tonight. We missed some sitters.

Messi should be credited for his play in Lautaro’s goal. He dragged away the midfielder where Paredes got some room and passed it to Toro. Some great ball movement. I want to see more of this.

It’s going to be interesting to see what Scaloni does next. He hasn’t made many mistakes in his tenure. He’s also been quick to adjust certain blunders.

Albiceleste2010, Edhardy and soul24rage repped this.
  12. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Scaloni's tactical change at that point (Ocampos for De Paul) I though was the first time in these qualifiers that Scaloni grew as a manager. He trusted his team enough to not do the boring predictable sub (bring in more defense to nurse a lead) - instead, he went on the offense and brought in Ocampos. I was impressed. Would've been a whole lot happier if it would've lead to a goal.

13. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lo Celso scores for Tottenham vs. Manchester City less than a minute after being on the pitch.

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tucu Correa with a great goal.
    1330174668200943616 is not a valid tweet id

Lo Celso
    1330244862403342339 is not a valid tweet id

Nico Gonzalez continues to be on a tear. What a goal.

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good for Lo Celso. He really worked his ass off to regained his top form. That goal helped Spurs to currently top the table, although Liverpool & Leicester still has 1 game in spare.

Nico goal looks like vintage Messi.:cool:

It seems that Messi will be demanded to transfered soon or later. I think he's much happier now with the NT since we've been unbeaten for 10+ games now.:D

16. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pleased to see Nico Gonsalez starting to fulfil his abilities. Why di Maria after moaning in the papers was recalled is weak from Scaloni. Nico is his direct replacement.

Not happy with the performances despite the results where both would have been wins barring the Brazilian referee.

We need to be dominating and crushing teams like these if we in two years want to be striking fear into opponents as genuine World Cup contenders. The domination in midfield is not there not the subtle one touch passing and possession. Makes it hard for the opposition to score and eventually wears them down.

I am still amazed Armani, Otamendi and Paredes are still in the side. That is part of the spine of the side and it is very weak. I concur with Milan05 & DT Martinez with Musso injured needs to be in ASAP. We need him to bed into the side. Otamendi is a bloody liability. Get Senesi in. We need to see if Medina can cover for Tagliafico. Nicolas was sorely missed in the game against Paraguay. And I will demand Paredes removal. His tempo does not match Palacios or Lo Celso.

Better teams will hurt us at the base of midfield and he has struggled when he has come up against such sides. Big show pony. Alario also deserves a run. Still a clutch player as he is showing when he has the chance at the mug club of Leverkusen. de Paul seems run down. Perhaps he is not happy at Udinese but also he has had a very long season.

Scaloni also fell into a cardinal sin against Paraguay messing his formation around and playing players out of position. Please don't do it again.

SupaMario repped this.
  17. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    I agree that better teams will make us pay. We need a different look on defense, more strength. Let's try Romero, Senesi, Medina, Lisandro, etc.

Tagliafico had that nice interplay with Lo Celso for the Gonzalez goal against Peru. This is why Scaloni likes him.

Scaloni is a huge fan of Paredes. He probably has the most caps of any player. We are stuck with him. He's OK, but needs help defensively. I hope Lo Celso and Palacios can be enough to cover him.

I predict that will be our starting 3 midfield in Qatar pending health issues, and we know we have lots of them...

18. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina NT are at their best when the fullbacks display cohesion with the midfield. Tagliafico has it, however, our RB is a problem.

I want Tagliafico and Lo Celso to play as much together as possible b/c if they can synch together, it will really help our defense and our attack. Against Paraguay we couldn't get out of our own third b/c our defense couldn't pass the ball into an attack. However, when Lo Celso came in for Palacio it really change things. We need to find that on the Right side as well. I don't know if Montiel is ready for such a role and I don't know who on the right side of the midfield would be best fit; truth is, that DePaul was not good against Peru.

Burr and DTCrackheads repped this.
  19. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don’t trust Armani against better teams like France or Brazil. I honestly think that a better goalkeeper would have saved that Mbappe goal (the first one).

Also, Armani looks very poor on penalties. Argentina has lost so many penalty shootouts in this century. 2004, 2006, 2011, 2015, 2016... that’s what international tournaments often come down to.

I can only pray that Otamendi is eventually replaced, anyone out of Senesi, Medina or Romero will do.

20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To Armani's credit he made crucial penalty save against Paraguay in Copa last year... But yea, he should be replaced. Never looks convincing especially when dealing with crosses & aerial threats. He just didnt looks commanding.

Our penalty record aint the worst though. We have penalty victories in 2005, 2014, 2015. Chile didnt even save Pipita & Messi shots in 2015 & 2016 respectively.. It just went into the sky. Also, Chile had misses aswell in 2015 & 2016 shootouts, we just happened to outworst them everytime.

soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Breaking -- Diego Maradona passed away at the age of 60

:(

RIP Campeon

[​IMG]

22. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Goodbye Diego. Thank you for everything.

23. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Leon12

Leon12 Member+