Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome back to the score sheet, Lautaro!

locoxriver repped this.
  2. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Paredes gets a lot of hate on here for absolutely no reason. hes top 10 midfielders in the world i am serious

3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno about that high but the hate is a bit much. I think as has been mentioned he's been seen too much as a defensive guy.

4. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    its not high because worldwide talent as whole is garbage nowadays zero standout midfielders all are boring workhorses and sideway passers. Yes, if you compare him to our past generations of the likes of cambiasso, masch ect he falls a little short (most players would) but hes more than good enough to get into the lineup and be an undisputed starter

5. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Would you not say he needs help defensively? Our backline always looks so exposed these days.

Paredes has great ball control, great passing, good vision, just lacking in defense and work rate.

6. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT: 0-2.

Gonzalez, Lautaro.

7. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    My thoughts:

- nice to see us score a couple of lovely goals
    - with a bit more precision we could have scored 5 in this half
    - have no confidence whatsoever in this defence. Neither as a unit or individually (none of them)
    - Tagliafico gives his all as usual but man is he shite on the ball...
    - Messi should not take any more corners. NEVER gets past the first man, crazy to see.

8. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hahaha no. Just no. Not even top 50

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ive been waiting for that from Parades forever.

Lucky for me the stream didnt stuck when that happened.

locoxriver repped this.
  10. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    the way i see it is shared work rate with di paul, lo celso and whoever plays as 4th mid. Plus you have taglifico who is only good at defense. That's more than enough. You make it sound as if he's strolling like Busquet or something. To be honest i am not familiar with our other options. I watched the guy who played in CL final.

11. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Otamendi and Quarta are an awful pair. I sincerely hope Otamendi gets a yellow so he doesnt play in march. We didn't concede because Perú has poor forwards.

DTCrackheads and Burr repped this.
  12. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    easily top 10.

13. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Lo Celso and González are the best players again.

Burr and DTCrackheads repped this.
  14. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    VAR though, what a bunch of idiots. Thank feck Roldan had the balls to make his own decision.

Burr and ShortyMac repped this.
  15. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Yea those 2 and Montiel will get destroyed by Brazil.

I was hopeful Foyth could fit in at RB and offer a little more defensive solidity than Montel. Really Montel has not even offered anything going forward that I have seen. Just a weak, do nothing player out there.

16. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Let's all hope Armani gets exposed for 1 in this second half like he almost did on that free kick haha. He always plays too close to his line. Not aggressive enough.

Or can we sub Martinez on for some time? He really is the better keeper....

17. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Paredes' corner kicks are so dangerous.

18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nico goal wasnt an easy one, that first touch before the shot was perfect. I dont see how we could get clean sheet against Brazil with Armani and Otamandi. VAR would be on their side and having those two would only add their adventage.

DTCrackheads repped this.
  19. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn Messi gotta score there

DTCrackheads repped this.
  20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My streaming just droppd dead. Hopefully no fluke goal from Peru lol

21. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Messi terribly unlucky in 2020. no bounce every goes his way, constantly blocked last second by defenders or keepers making flukey saves. Add to it his trauma with barca definitely his worst year ever

soul24rage and ShortyMac repped this.
  22. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: 0-2.

Rattlehead repped this.
  23. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good result. This team has more grit that I have seen in the past. The true test will come in March.

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #10449 Rattlehead, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Yep, although he actually scored from open play in his last game before this qualifier round. No worries, soon or later he'd scores again. He said himself since last season that these days he prefers playmaker's role over goalscoring.

Lautaro goal started from his pass in midfield, followed by Parades throughball.

Double digits points after 2 rounds, cant ask for more. Only VAR and unlucky moments prevent us from 3 points against Paraguay. The 2 first half goal was beatifully taken and setup. Lo Celso was outstanding aswell, so did Nico.

Its kind off weird that we have best defence alongside Brazil so far statistically. Both only conceided two although they scored many more goals, but we've been prevented by VAR few times. Another interesting fact... every teams in this qualifier has conceided 5-10+ goals so far.

I'm still not sold on that stats especially with Armani and Otamendi seems about to secure his place in next year tournament. The problem with Armani is that he always choses to stand on his line most of the time (remember Croatia first goal?) . Sergio Romero despite being deemed as bad goalie, made plenty of saves by coming off his line to clears aerial threat.

25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't get the Armani hate... he hasn't been decisively important for the NT so far, yet he hasn't had made any serious errors either... Sure, you could personally prefer Martinez or Musso, but the way some people talk about him here you'd think he's giving us Caballero vs. Croatia type of performances... Preference is one thing, but I don't recall Franco ever being a liability to the team.

I agree Argentina needs to find a solid RB... Montiel is a fantastic asset in River as he has been molded to fit Gallardo's system, but he doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose in the NT. He's still a player who gets the job done and could serve as a reliable sub, but Scaloni should focus on finding an alternative for the position that can provide more to the team (preferably with more offensive capabilities). Unfortunately there aren't too many options out there..

Back to the game, Messi was desperate for a goal. Poor guy just couldn't find the net... Paredes upped his game, although he didn't have much defensive work to do with Peru's limited attack. Lo Celso, as noted by others, was great...

Credit to Scaloni for his faith in Nico Gonzalez. No one had him in mind before the call-ups, yet the kid has been taking advantage of his opportunities. Ole points out that he has scored 12 goals and given 2 assists in his last 15 games (Stuttgart + NT) :eek:. Much like Ocampo, he has been a breath of fresh air in contrast to the slow, simple-playing style we had become accustomed to in past years.

How do you guys feel about De Paul in the starting XI? I know he has been great at club level and has also had some good NT games, but he has been poor since the qualifiers started. I noticed our game improved a lot today after he was replaced as well... maybe it's time to reconsider his spot as a regular starter?

SupaMario repped this.