Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't think I should lower my expectations given the talent coming through there is ZERO reason why certain players are getting called up over others who play weekly. Otamendi is stump who should've been replaced awhile ago. Bringing a new CB is hard sure but who do you expect them to have experience when you refuse to give the a chance? First round of the qualifiers you call up washed up players and newbies who rarely ever play. What's the excuse for Foyth? Balerdi? and Medina? getting a call up. The only one of that trio that is playing decent is Medina. Foyth is chaos on the pitch and Balerdi needs some games to even evaluate him. While Lisandro and Senesi have been killing it in the Dutch league. Its not the end of the world they miss out on these qualifiers because this duo will break in at some point but for now I'm not happy and nor should anyone. Copa is attainable but the work required to win starts long before kick off. Luckily the best of the bunch Perez is on there and Scaloni can witness his talent with his own eyes. He should be on top of the list.

Albiceleste2010 and soul24rage repped this.
  2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

You can’t expect every single player you want to be called and start. What manager had ever done that? Players who play well get left off all the time. The 78 side that won the cup left out Diego. In recent memory in 06 Pekerman left off Pupi and took... wait for it, Scaloni. I can go into every World Cup side for the last 40 years and provide you names. This isn’t something new. Is it right? Not at all but this is how it is as times.

You have to support the team that is in front of you, you support the shirt and nothing else. So, let’s be a bit positive here and get our 6 points.

soul24rage and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  3. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    THere's a big difference in calling everyone I want which is not what im asking. Players should be called up on merit/ performance. You're examples don't hold up here. Argentina has a big weakness at the Cb and the coach refuses to call up two of his best. THat's a problem.

The support is unconditional but I think we cant still critique coaches, players and performances.

soul24rage repped this.
  5. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lisandro is lost on Argentina! What a tackle.

goal ruled off ********

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Palacios starts the season...on the bench.

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #9957 locoxriver, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Football Manager wonderkid Maxi Romero with a 93rd minute goal to keep PSV at the top of the Dutch league standings

Nice header... and he had barely came in off the bench moments before, in the 89th minute. :thumbsup:

This was his first official appearance for PSV since returning over the break from his loan with Velez. If I'm not mistaken, this was also his first official goal in the Eredivisie, as during his first stint in Holland (2018-19) he played almost exclusively for their reserve team. Hopefully he keeps it up..

8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gaich on a similar note... he has been seeing nothing but bench in Russia. Over the 8 games CSKA have played this season, he has accumulated a little over 100 minutes and no goals. In the last 3 games he didn't even come in as a sub. Things aren't looking good for him and this may just ruin his NT chances...

Speaking of subs, what the hell happened to Lanzini? I know it's still early in the season, but he hasn't featured yet for West Ham in the Premier League... I saw that he played midweek vs. Charlton, but they were using mostly subs since it was Carabao Cup.

SupaMario repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don’t understand. Leverkussen used 5 subs today and he didn’t even get a sniff. Must be nice for a club to spend 20+ ME on a player and not even bother with him. What a waste. If he doesn’t start getting minutes soon he should ask to be loaned out somewhere.

As for Gaich... Again, I don’t understand why players bother going to Russia. If it’s merely about money then okay, fine, I get it but there is a strong chance you’re throwing away any chance for development.

Interestingly enough, I think Gaich would do well in Germany. But he is rotting away in Russia of all places.

locoxriver repped this.
  10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was glad when negotiations with Club Brugge for his transfer fell apart as I felt he needed to go to a more competitive tournament than the Belgian League, but then he ended up going to CSKA and that was even worse...

He was settling in nicely in San Lorenzo pre-COVID... shame he chose to divert his career the way he did. Being that he was linked to teams from Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga, etc. (albeit without official offers), he should have just ridden it out and continued developing in Boedo until another offer came by now or in a future transfer window.

Of course we also need to consider San Lorenzo's needs and how they probably pressured him into accepting the offer given the dire economic situation all the clubs in the country are facing... but the destination wasn't ideal and the offer wasn't necessarily that great either (~8M euros).

11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh, there is no doubt a club pressures players. They probably make them go on a guilt trip, saying how they provided for their family and are giving them a better life. They should return the favor. I’m sure the pay is also better, which is another thing.

Gaich has the potential of becoming a very good player. Him going for peanuts is discouraging. European clubs rob the clubs blind and that’s that. Lautaro’s transfer was a positive but if Lautaro was brazuca, he would’ve gone doubled for what he was sold for.

12. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I'm thinking

Screenshot_20200920-152424_LineupBuilder.jpg

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That difference in posture from European clubs when it comes to negotiating with Brazilian and Argentine sides always irked me...

Real Madrid bought Vinicius Jr. from Flamengo for €46M when he had made just one appearance in their first team.. Neymar, on the other hand, was already more accomplished when he left Santos, but Barcelona paid €80M+ for his services... there's no way River, Boca, or Independiente would sell a player for nearly that much, no matter how good they were.

Lucas Paqueta and Lucas Moura also left their Brazilian sides for more than €40M, and there's a handful of other players that were sold in the mid-€30M region.

Toro, although as you say would have gone for more if he was coming from a Corinthians or a Palmeiras, overall was a very impressive sale for Argentine standards... but even then he was the exception more than the norm. Look at Nico Dominguez going to Italy for $9M, Gio Simeone joining Genoa for €3M, Pezzella joining Betis for a mere €3M after being laureled with achievements in River, etc.

Or look at our current NT squad... Udinese paid Racing €3M for De Paul.... Tagliafico joined Ajax for $5M.... Musso joined Udinese for $4.5M... Emi Martinez went from Independiente to Arsenal for $500,000... Velez got $4M for Otamendi... Saravia from Racing to Porto for $4M.... Atletico paid €2.5M for Nehuen Perez!!

It's quite sad how badly our teams get screwed on the negotiating tables, even moreso when considering the polarity with European-Brazilian transactions. Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse now with the devaluating peso and the significant impact the suspension of the Superliga has had on Argentine teams.

SupaMario repped this.
  14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Simeone with another Serie A goal, this time vs. Sassuolo

That makes it 7 goals in 14 games since the return of Italian football in June... Not bad..

15. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lisandro

For me, the obvious players that should have gotten a call up are Lisandro Martinez and Icardi. ​

16. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Montiel is the best option for RB.... Also think Martinez is the best keeper they have by a margin. He should be given the keys.

This was Lisandro Martinez coming off a knock and playing at the Left Back position. HEre's what he did last week. While Balerdi was stapled to the bench for a scrub French team. Foyth stapled to the bench for Spurs, Otamendi stapled to the bench in favour of Ake, Kannemann playing in god knows where. He has a knack for those goal line clearances. Elite potential.

Rattlehead, DTCrackheads and soul24rage repped this.
  17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  18. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about Montiel, but I want players who've been playing regularly and with the Argentine League on hold

19. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Senesi > Martínez

Taller, with good technique too and left footed.

Lisandro could be back up CDM though.

20. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Otamendi back to Benfica... hopefully that leads to his exist from the NT.

22. Treat for you starts at the 0.47

23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Carlos Fernando Valenzuela (from the U23 NT) with his first European goal, scoring for Famalicao in his second Liga NOS appearance:

21-year-old Argentine Joaquín Pereyra replaced him in the same match, making his official debut in the Portuguese league. Never heard of him tbh, but it appears he's a left-footed attacking midfielder who joined the Portuguese side on loan over the break from Rosario Central.

In other news, Leverkusen tied 1-1 vs. RB Leipzig on Saturday for the second round of the Bundesliga, and both Alario and Palacios saw the entire thing from the bench. :speechless: When it appeared Pipa was finally going to start getting minutes with the exits of Volland and Havertz over the break, the damn Germans went on to splurge €26.5M on Patrik Schick later in September and now Alario is back to square one as a sub..... he should have just gone with his original plan to move on loan to another team. What a shame....

As for Palacios, yeah, yeah, "they're settling him in slowly until he adapts" and yada yada, but 17-year-old Wirtz has been starting in midfield the last 4-5 Bayer games, so that doesn't speak too well of his stature within the German side.

While on the topic of the Bundesliga, 20-year-old Mateo Klimowicz (son of former player Diego) scored his first goal in the German top tier after gaining promotion with Stuttgart last season:

1309883974240608257 is not a valid tweet id

soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  25. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who do you think argentina will send to the olympics next summer?