Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #9676 SupaMario, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Some Serie A roundup.

Finished watching Udinese and Lecce. Quite a dull match. RdP was okay, and Musso was fine, shouldn’t be blamed for both goals Udinese conceded. With Lecce winning and Genoa getting whipped 5-0, Genoa are now only a single point ahead of Lecce from the drop. If they do, I’d assume Juve would loan Romero to another Serie A club.

Tucu Correa had a goal and assist today. Second game in a row where he’s got a goal.

Goal

1288546213021855746 is not a valid tweet id

Assist.

soul24rage repped this.
  2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great goal by Gio.

1288574263994322946 is not a valid tweet id

3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Perotti x2 and Higuain and on the mark in Juventus-Roma

Emiliano Martinez started in Arsenal's FA Cup Final win over Chelsea.

Check out this pass he gave Aubameyang... we could use something like this in the NT:

In other news, Adolfo Gaich is now officially a CSKA Moscow player... shame he went to that subpar league. Should have gotten in contact with Cavenaghi, who derailed his career at a similar age by going there...

Hopefully he doesn't get stuck in Russia like Driussi.

soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Perotti got an offer from some Arab league but he wants to remain in Italy.

Immobile’s matched Fatso’s record, something I’m sure Fatso is not a fan of, which is sharing, especially when it comes to things like pizza. He may’ve played his final league match with Juve and might come to the MLS. He’ll love it here, easy league and will have plenty of food to choose from. Okay, Fatso rant is over.

Great to see Emiliano thriving at Arsenal. I hope they make him their #1 but I’m sure some club will come knocking if they don’t. The Arsenal fans love him. I hope he isn’t content at being a backup. That would be a damn shame. He’s a tall keeper, stands 6’4, has large hands and doesn’t back down. Would be great to see him given a serious look, along with Musso.

As for Gaich. Giant sigh. I think he’ll manage to be fine and score goals but sheesh, what a let down. Hopefully, he manages to score 20 goals in the season and ends up going to Germany or something. It is disappointing that the highest bidder is a Russian side. Teams like Madrid have no problem forking over 50ME for teenage brazucas but we have to try to squeeze every penny out of clubs for our cracks.

soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Appears Genoa and Romero will survive from relegation. They’re up 3-0 going into HT. Romero has played well and scored a great header, great leap and finish. As soon I write this he picks up a yellow, the announcer states it was his 14th yellow of the season.

I’ll tune into the Udinese match for the second half and see how Musso and RdP are doing. So far, it is 0-0 and we’ll see if Musso will get his league best 14th clean sheet of the season.

soul24rage repped this.
  6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

locoxriver repped this.
  7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    One of the better pictures I’ve seen online recently.

Given that he had a great season for Atalanta, should Papu be given a look? He perhaps isn’t the answer for the long term but he made it to a lot of people’s team of the season in the Serie A.

afar repped this.
  8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

"I feel prepared and with a strong desire to return to the national team. Every time I score a goal, the only thing I think of is returning to the NT. Many times I think more about the NT than the actual [Serie A] games, I want that feeling [of representing Argentina] again... I don't think of giving up, I am going to fight for that everyday."

- Giovanni Simeone`​

[​IMG]

Gio accumulated 12 goals with Cagliari this season, including 6 since the return of Serie A in late June (top Argentine scorer post-break, if I'm not mistaken). This was his fourth season in Europe, where he has scored a total of 48 goals between his time in Genoa, Fiorentina, and Cagliari.

9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The problem with Gio is consistency. When he scored 14 goals a couple seasons back, the hope was he’d take his tally close to 20. He went down to 6. This season, he was having another mediocre year until he returned from the covid suspension, where he scored 6 goals or so. IMO, he’s way down in the pecking order.

locoxriver repped this.
  10. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    ShortyMac and soul24rage repped this.
  11. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

Just watch this whole video, what Dybala has done this season. He is the most talented Argentine player right now, after Messi.

If our coaches don’t find a way for Messi and him to play together, then shame on them.

Brazil has always been really good about this, pairing up Romario-Bebeto, then Ronaldo-Romario, then Ronaldo-Rivaldo, etc.

Great players can always play together.

Burr, DTCrackheads and soul24rage repped this.
  12. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Based on his form this season, Dybala should definitely be in the starting XI.

The Chile match in the Copa 19 showed that Messi and Dybala can work together. The 4-3-1-2 fits them perfectly.

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

[​IMG]

*withdrawals intensify*

afar and Burr repped this.
  14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sometimes you dont even a need a pair, when you have someone this good.

Copa 1991 final goal

Copa 1993 final brace

and this

SupaMario, soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Batigol is the best, an absolute animal... it's just a lingering lament that we'll never know what would have happened if he played next to Crespo in the NT when they coincidentally peaked in the late 90s.

Bati even addressed this recently, saying he doesn't understand why Bielsa wouldn't field them together when he personally felt they were very compatible to play alongside each other.

Rattlehead and soul24rage repped this.
  16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Completely unrelated to the NT, but this year Atalanta broke the Serie A record for most goals in an individual season, yet not a single one of the 98 goals were scored by an Italian individual.

Absolutely bizarre if you ask me... can you imagine a team from Primera finishing the season without any Argentine players scoring?

Anyway, as you say, Papu has been impressive.. 8 goals and 18 assists across all competitions.. pretty consistent with his stats for the last 4 seasons. I don't know if I would call him up to the NT though -- he's 32 and will be 34 by the time the WC rolls around. Maybe he should have gotten more of a fair shot in recent years, but at this point I think his train may have passed.

Rattlehead, SupaMario and soul24rage repped this.
  17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #9692 SupaMario, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Atalanta has 5 Italian players and three of them are goalkeepers. Perhaps that is why they play such an attractive game:D. But this is the problem with the Azzurri, the Serie A team of the season will probably have 1 or 2 Italian born player(s).

As for Papu, it will be interesting what Scaloni does. Age is a factor but let’s see if he can keep this up...

Rattlehead and locoxriver repped this.
  18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When Inter won treble in 2010, their main squad had 4 Argentines, 3 Brazillians, 1 Colombian, 1 Cameroonian, 1 Netherlands, 1 Serbian.

Balotelli was only the team 3rd best goalscorer behind Milito and Eto'o. Materazzi did play in CL final replacing Milito at 92nd minutes if that counts as contribution lol

That's the last time Italian side won CL, exactly a decade ago.

19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yea, the 2002 WC in particular, one more goal against Sweden, Argentina actually will eliminate England cause they didnt win their other 2 games. Crespo came in late but still score nevertheless. In do or die situation like that, Bielsa should have known better and just field Crespo and Bati at the same time.

Sweden only had like 3 chance in that game and Argentina had 15 shots on goal + 13 corners but for whatever reason, not as clinical as they and could. have been. Batistuta only played 20 games that season and mostly sidelined by ankle injury (which he never really recovered till today). Even against England Argentina had 65% possession but was dull upfront.

Some people seems to think Higuain chance in 2015 final wasnt easy, but Batigol scored exactly from that angle in Copa 1991.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ocampos is having a wonderful first half v Roma. He is all over the place with great runs and skill:

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Burr, soul24rage and locoxriver repped this.
  22. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Palacios started and was great. One of the best players in the game for sure. Had a stupendous pass to Kai but he couldn’t finish. He will be fine me thinks.

soul24rage, locoxriver and SupaMario repped this.
  23. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Ocampos needs to start for us, period. Tremendous player.

soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Driussi and Rigoni lifted the Russian Supercup today with Zenit... that's their third title in just one month (league, domestic cup, super cup)

[​IMG]

Seba was a starter and gave the pass for the second goal, while Rigoni was brought in off the bench during injury time as a consolation. 11th career title for Driussi btw..

Mammana, meanwhile, didn't participate as he was announced earlier in the day as a loan reinforcement for PFC Sochi (formerly Dynamo St. Petersburg; finished 2 points above the relegation zone in the Russian league this season). Should have sought a more prestigious move as he was once a very highly regarded prospect in the NT, but it is what it is...

25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why did Sarri bench Dybala vs. Lyon? Crazy that he started Higuain instead (at this point in pipita's career), even though Juve needed goals.

Dybala suffering from an idiot coach, what's new?