Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1275162584870719488 is not a valid tweet id

Duchene2Mackinnon and SupaMario repped this.
  2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So Kun apparently had a knee injury today in his return. Color me surprised! Pep said “it doesn’t look good.” Hopefully it isn’t something serious like an ACL or something like that. These take about a year for them to return. Depending on the tear of course. I’ve seen players comeback sooner but that isn’t a smart thing.

If it is, then it opens the door for another player but then again, who the hell knows when the qualifiers will even be played with Brasil blowing up in covid cases and flights being canceled back home(Till mid-August or so).

3. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Poor guy if he only could stay healthy... Not worried long term as he usually comes back without any rust. He is getting up there in age though.

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think age its not the main issue. Kun still has the pace and still look strong throughout this season when he's injury free. Like Aimar and Di Maria, he seems to be injury prone and accumulation of previous injuries made them even more fragile. Some players are simply injury prone.

Players like Tevez or Masche just keep running and fighting for the ball more than the likes of Aguero, Di Maria and Messi, yet those two rarely gets injured. Masche for intense, had almost 150 caps for the NT, and when other key players get injured or tired , he just keep on running even in Extra time. If you see him rolling in pain after a clash or hard tackles, you'd think he's injured but he'd eventually back up to his feet and continue to run normally.

5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Kun is practically 32 right now but by the time Qatar starts he will be 34, he most likely will be playing in his last World Cup just like Messi

6. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    I don't think he should be a starter at this point. He has already slowed down a bit. He had many opportunities with the NT, never won. Let's move on with some younger blood.

Hopefully Messi will not force the manager's hand to have Kun start.

locoxriver and SupaMario repped this.
  7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah Messi does have that power so basically nothing would surprise me

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’m watching Tottenham v West Ham and FCB v Bilbao.

Lo Celso has been pretty good. Had a wonderful assist but VAR called the goal off. Lamela has made a cameo and so has Lanzini.

As for FCB. What a pathetic side. They literally need Messi to do everything. Reminds me of the days with the national team years back. Bilbao sits back and defends and collapse on Messi. I bet he wishes he was at the CA. He at least has a midfield and forwards and connects with.

afar and locoxriver repped this.
  9. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I wouldn't call Barcelona that bad

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi doesnt look happy with Barca's board and their signings in recent time, its quite obvious.

Scolani needs to call back Icardi and paired him with Lautaro or Dybala. Soon or later, we need a long term replacement for Kun. Icardi has been scoring regularly in 3 different clubs, there's no reason to think he couldnt do it in NT. He actually scored the last time he played in NT.

Anyone following Primeira ? How's Acuna's doing? There are reports that Inter & Napoli are interested to sign him. I thought he was quite effective everytime he played.

11. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    If I had to choose between Dybala and Icardi, then I would choose Icardi and pair him up with Lautaro and have those 2 up front with Messi

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pezzella with a header goal (surprise, surprise) for Fiorentina in his return to soccer after recovering from the virus

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

While excitement has been brewing regarding Romero's ability for a number of years, the youngster's level of celebrity has gone to a new heights over the past 10 days after he was named as part of Mallorca's matchday squad for their La Liga clash against Villarreal on June 16. His time eventually came on Wednesday evening when, at the age of 15 years and 219 days, he emerged on the touchline before making his way onto the pitch for the final nine minutes of Mallorca's defeat at Real Madrid.

"We have been watching him since he was 12, but we never wanted to promote him too early because we also have to be careful," Mallorca assistant coach, Dani Pendin, said in a recent interview. "We have seen him play and he did incredible things in his age group, but physically he was not fully developed and that could bring him problems when running into senior players. Today you can see in his legs and his body that he begins to fill out.

The son of nomadic Argentine footballer Diego Romero, Luka was born in the Mexican city of Durango while his father was playing for lower league side Alacranes. He moved to Spain at the age of two as Diego continued his career before beginning his own footballing education in the academy of Sant Jordi on the island of Ibiza.

Aged just seven, he was invited to attend a trial with Barcelona, where he impressed the club's scouts with his ability on the ball. His family were not willing to move to Catalunya, however, meaning that the Blaugrana were unable to sign him given FIFA's rules when it comes to acquiring players under the age of 10.

"My whole family is Argentine; my dream is to wear the Albiceleste shirt," he said in a statement released by the Argentina Football Association in 2018

"He is left-footed, fast, elusive and competitive," Pendin said when asked to describe his best assets. "He is the prototype of an Argentine No.10, but he reminds me a lot of David Silva."

Manchester United, Barcelona, Juventus and Atletico Madrid have all been cited as showing an interest in signing him in the coming months, and it would not be a surprise if Europe's other major clubs got involved too.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/luk...-unleashed-la-liga/1kqjfjuhq1zjb13mtwmyo0puto

SupaMario repped this.
  14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Many articles are referring him as Mexican rather than Argentine. I guess those journalists couldnt deal with the fact another future world beater would be yet another Argentine.

15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But the fact is is that even though he is Argentine he is Mexican as well, he was born there so he could play for either country

16. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It’s always fascinated me how Mexico has 3 times the population of Argentina, football is the primary sport in both countries, yet Argentina produce way more world class players than Mexico.

17. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I know right but that is to say that Mexico aren't interested in him because I am sure they are

18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He’s only connected Mexico by birth and that’s all. He perhaps closer to Spain than Mexico, since he’s lived in Spain for most of his life. With that being said, it has never stopped Mexico naturalizing players. Only way he ends up playing for Mexico is if he doesn’t become a world-class player. Luka has already made it obvious he wants to represent Argentina and he already has at sub level. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Duchene2Mackinnon repped this.
  19. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Okay then that's good but with Argentina having so much depth already...it makes me wonder if they pass on him? If they did, it would be a pretty bad mistake

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dude, he’s 15. Let’s wait and see how he develops. He’s already on our radar, and we won’t pass on him if he becomes a star.

Duchene2Mackinnon repped this.
  21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah that's good but then what other potential teenage wonderkids are out there for Argentina besides Luka

22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Football is strange.. Uruguay has a population of roughly 3M inhabitants, yet they have one of the most crowned NTs in the world and have been a nonstop producer of world class talents for decades.

Ironically, the 5 most populated nations in the world are absolute shit at football (China, India, USA, Indonesia, Pakistan). Sure, maybe football isn’t the top sport in some of these nations, but there still is sufficient interest from a significant percentage of their respective populations to generate what you’d imagine would be at least a few decent footballers... I know cricket is #1 in India, for example, but if even 0.25% of their entire population played the sport that would be roughly equivalent to the entire population of Uruguay. Yes, just 1/4th of one percent of India = every single man, woman, child, elder, and baby in Uruguay.

China is even stranger since football is even more popular there than in India (many say it’s the most followed sport, along with basketball), and they’ve made signifcant investments in terms of infrastructure, facilities, and coaching over the years. Still, we never even see their guys making a splash even in smaller sides or lower divisions. Wu Lei may be the exception, but he’s not exactly a top talent, and even then he’s more of an anomaly than anything.

Genetics, cultural importance, infrastructure, financial support, and bureaucratic organization are all very influential factors when it comes to the production of talent, yet there still seems to be an unexplainable x factor mixed in there somewhere..

SupaMario, Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  23. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Luka looked the part. Crazy to see a child (that's what he is) play with men and not look out of place. Mind you he didn't do anything crazy in the game but just being there is insane at his age. He looked confident on the ball and drove at defenders fearlessly. I get the Lio comparisons even though he probably won't be as good but it's easy to see why he's hailed as Messi's heir. I'm thinking he gets more time but he really should be grounded. Wouldnt even be a bad thing if his team got relegated and he earned mins in the segunda. Anyway he looked promising in his cameo. Hoping for the best.

Rattlehead and SupaMario repped this.
  24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm excited to see how he'll develop, but I dont hink he'd be next Messi and he dont need too. I just hope he'd be able to help Argentina to win thropy again at youth level in near future.

Too many youngsters being hailed as next Messi. However, most of them never even reach the level of Saviola, let alone Tevez and Aguero, let alone Messi.

25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Romero being the next Messi he would have to go through a lot to even get to that next level but that means putting the work in