Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    A more UPDATED Final 23 for Qatar 2022 (Starting 11 & Bench)

Starting XI (4-3-3)

GK- Juan Musso (28 years old; 2022)
    LB- Nicolas Tagliafico (30 years old; 2022)
    CB- Juan Foyth (24 years old; 2022)
    CB- German Pezzella (31 years old; 2022)
    RB- Gonzalo Montiel (25 years old; 2022)
    CDM- Leandro Paredes (28 years old; 2022)
    LCM- Rodrigo De Paul (28 years old; 2022)
    RCM- Giovani Lo Celso (26 years old; 2022)
    LW- Gonzalo Martinez (29 years old; 2022)
    CF- Lautaro Martinez (25 years old; 2022)
    RW- Lionel Messi (35 years old; 2022) (captain armband for 2022)

Bench

GK- Esteban Andrada, Agustin Marchesin
    LB- Marcos Acuna
    CB- Leonardo Balerdi, Lisandro Martinez, Marcos Rojo

RB- Renzo Saravia
    CM- Angel Correa, Alexis Mac Allister, Exequiel Palacios

FW- Paulo Dybala, Adolfo Gaich

2. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    There’s definitely no law like that.

Kai will be gone so, Alario will see playing time but honestly they have better options right now than him. So, I dont blame them. It’s working. For me Alario isn’t all that special anyway. Not enough to lose sleep over him not getting mins. Palacios is a different story though.

3. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Woof that would be awful. Pezzella wont be on the team. Foyth wont start right now he’s looking like a bust. The cbs will be Perez and one of Martinez/Senesi.

Ascacibar will break in by then. Over Paredes and same for Palacios over RDP. Gonzalo Martinez is playing somewhere in the MLS he wont get anywhere near the team same for Rojo. There’s plenty of talent options available Zaracho who doesn’t get enough hype. Then there’s Almada then next big thing coming out of Argentina apparently. There’s also Pedro de le Vega. Even younger starlets who have an outside shot at Qatar Palacios who might be the best of the next generation. He’s so incredibly smart.

4. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Then what would be your Final 23

5. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For me, I think it's too early to predict the squad for the WC 22. There might be players who we think will succeed to drop off the ball or new players suddenly popping up like Mbappe did for France.

For Copa 21 though, I think this will be the most likeliest squad that Scaloni will pick based on what I've seen so far.

GK: Armani, Andrada, Marchesin/Musso

RB: Montiel, Foyth
    CB: Pezzella, Quarta, Kannemann, Otamendi
    LB: Tagliafico, Acuna

DM: Paredes, Guido Rodriguez
    CM: De Paul, Palacios, Lo Celso, Nico Dominguez

AM: Messi, Dybala
    FW: Aguero, Lautaro, Ocampos, Alario

Ofori repped this.
  6. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    This lineup actually looks good

7. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We discussed this earlier a few pages back lol

Again Martinez and Perez are a must for me. Both are clearly above Foyth and there Senesi who's also a better option. Another year that gap will continue to grow.

8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I like Foyth... I get that the Mourinho situation hasn't helped him grow, but I was pleased with his image in Copa America. He showed immense personality and skill throughout the cup, despite being barely 21 and playing out of his natural position.

His lack of club minutes is indeed concerning and I can't comment on his performances when he did play as I don't really follow Tottenham, but I am very keen on the kid's potential based on his strong showings with the NT.

Burr and Ofori repped this.
  9. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Which is why I included him in my 11

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I always like Foyth, a defender with great dribbling skills is quite rare, and we dont produce that alot. You have to roll back to the likes of Zanetti or Sorin for a defender that possess great ball control.

I know he was often criticized for his making bad decision on the pitch, notably for holding the ball way too long, but it's expected from a very young player. They just tend to do that, even Messi back then.

Burr and locoxriver repped this.
  11. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #9386 soul24rage, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    I included Foyth in the RB spot as Scaloni sees him as a CB who can also play as RB. The RB position is the position that is the most up for grasp imo, while we have options for CB. As loco said, it is concerning how little he plays.

I would really love it if Lisandro is included over Otamendi though. I would even include Senesi over Otamendi.

Perez is someone I really can't see making the CA 21 squad as I think he'll go to the Olympics unless there is a plethora of injuries in the CB area.

EDIT: speaking of which, Scaloni spoke today of the RB position and he sees 3 players for the RB position (Foyth, Saravia and Montiel). Scaloni is looking for someone who is an undisputed starter for RB as Zabaleta was.

Speaking of the way of how Scaloni talked about Pavard who plays as a RB for France even though he's a CB, I think that Scaloni sees Foyth the same way.

12. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    He was alright in the RB position in the few games. I do like him but unfortunately his performances leave a lot to be desired. his potential is through the roof probably better than Martinez/perez but they are undoubtedly better right now. If foyth ever figures it out he will be a menace but all signs are pointing to him being a bust. He's a walking caution on the field and a turn over machine. Two big no no's for a CB. When I first watched him play I saw a confident, smooth, and smart CB with a few weakness to work on but as the games went on he kept making the same mistake over and over again. Rash challenges and turning the ball over. With his soccer IQ I thought it would get better but sadly its gotten worse.

see above

We'll see I really hope you're wrong because Perez is amazing and I don't see many better than him right now.

13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Our defense may not be great right now but it can get there. We need to drop Otamendi and perhaps even Pezzella. We need a new partnership. CA 2021 will be important because it could essentially be a dress rehearsal for the World Cup.

Burr and Ofori repped this.
  14. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If it were up to me I would roll with two of MartiezX2/Perez and maybe Senesi if he continues he's stellar play next year. I'm not entirely sold on him. Pezzella would be back up. Guy who brings in experience and calm play.

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pezella mistakes led into conceiding goals few times in Copa, not sure whats so special on his performance . He was too slow againts counter (which basically our ultimate weaknesses)

16. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nothing is special but when the other option is Otamendi...Pezzella starts looking like VVD.

soul24rage repped this.
  17. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Exactly which is what I tried to say in so many words before but could have worded it better. Copa America 2021 basically for Argentina is like a dress rehearsal for Qatar 2022 and for Lionel Messi, he can use Qatar 2022 as his "Last Dance" much like Michael Jordan did for the Chicago Bulls.

18. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Been away for a little while as not too much is going on football wise. Nonetheless I would like to express my most sincere condolences to Afar. I am fortunate that I have not lost anyone close to me but I can the distress and anguish it would cause one. They say time heals but I think that is not true. I just hope you can find some peace in yourself Afar in time and remember all the time you had with your father with fondness. Just reminds us all we need to make the most of each day and tell loved ones that they are indeed loved.

Transfer wise. Tagliafico is leaving Ajax. Destinations ? Barcelona interested. Can they afford him ? Arsenal were keen last summer as are Chelsea. He would be a big upgrade on their current players. Pereyra probably returning to Udinese as well. Lamela also look surplus at Tottenham.

I would certainly not write off Foyth. Very capable but has not played enough matches to build a sufficient situational awareness and being played out of position does not help. He would do a great job in defensive midfield. And then as he matures end up as a centreback.

My preferred midfielder remains Asascibar, Palacios and Lo Celso. Very young and extremely capable. Palacios is a great passer he is still very raw and tries the Hollywood pass too often. But he will learn. Play the three together and you have a real backbone to work from and a really lovely balance.

Defensively plenty of ability coming through. Again Martinez of Ajax. He needs to settle into a role. Either claim the DM role or end up as a centreback, We certainly have three potentials in this role who can create from deep if needed. Foyth, Palacios and Martinez.

Senesi has been gaining vital experience but as with all defenders we will see more slumps and peaks as he gains consistency and he needs to play in a more demanding league then the Eredivisie. Romero has had that slump this season but nothing to worry about so long as he learns from it. Fingers crossed Balerdi gets his chance after this window at Dortmund. Like Foyth ever so classy on the ball and could easily be a gamebreaker. Dictating long passes from deep on the counter or carrying the ball deep into midfield to effect a critical pass.

Keeping wise Musso has to be given his chance to develop. Easily one of the top five keepers in serie A overthe last season. Armani may or may not deteriorate with age but Musso is coming into his prime. I think he can certainly be that top class keeper we have lacked since the days of Goyocochea and Pato.

afar, locoxriver, SupaMario and 4 others repped this.
  19. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Meza did have promise. Remember the chance he set up for Higuain to fluff before the calamity against Spain ? His confidence was shattered by his experience in the NT which was a shambles at the time. No direction and no plan. You can see it to a degree with Pavon.

Many able players find that playing at the international level is pardon the pun an entirely different ballgame and some collapse under the additional pressure. Biglia should never have even come close to being picked for that WC.

It was criminal Lo Celso was left out by baldy after his performances against Spain and Italy. I keep thinking that at 2-1 against France what might have happened had Lo Celso been brought on and Pavon dragged off and Messi returned to a free role. Baldy screwed up really badly.

afar, Ofori, Rattlehead and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL he does kinda look like Gallardo. Maybe he got a new gig while soccer shut down.

locoxriver repped this.
  21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #9396 Rattlehead, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Yea, World cup preasure can be too much for some youngsters. Gotze scored WC final winning goal and his career took a nosedive due to being compared to Messi just because he scored that one goal, and its Low himself who said that.

The only memorable moment from Meza from 2018 WC was him deflecting the cross which could have been a last minute equalizer for us. I know its unintentional but would surely live in his memory forever.

Its already a mistake for us by keep relying on Masche , everyone including Messi keeps passing the ball to him and Masche somehow became our no.1 ball distributor as if he's a playmaker lol... so Sampaoli clearly has no masterplan to begin with. Its certainly a big blunder not to turn into defensive mode after leading 2-1 in this particular match. If we managed to hold them 2-1 or 2-2 till late minutes , players like Messi ,Di Maria and Aguero are capable of finding late winners.

afar and soul24rage repped this.
  22. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    That is why I say Argentina has a bright future

23. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Very good prediction except for Kannemann. Scaloni didn't call him for the suspended qualifiers. He seems to prefer Pérez or Balerdi.

soul24rage repped this.
  24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Kannemann is at least worth taking a look at

25. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Thank you Albiceleste2010 for the very, very kind words. You are such a good man.

And thank you rest of the posters for your discussion and posts. I keep reading them every day; at the very least they help to distract my mind and bring some joy/relief.

I so desperately want that we win the Copa and the World Cup, more than ever.

My father had been sick for 1.5 years, and three months ago when he could barely talk he said that he wanted to see Messi lift that World Cup with me, like we saw Maradona lift it all those years ago together.

I know now that even if Messi lifts that World Cup, I won’t get to share it with my father. This thought leaves me so heartbroken.