Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally watched that HBO documentary about Maradona yesterday. Man the Italians really ruined his life. Okay, it was still mostly his own fault, but the way they used him and enabled him and then ultimately turned on him was absolutely shameful. I forgot we played Italy in Napoli of all places that World Cup. Insane, lol.

2. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    That documentary was so moving for me. Having lived through those times from the perspective of a very young child, then learning much of the sordid parts later on, I still was transfixed watching this thing. Diego's life is so wonderful and tragic, in so many ways. The saddest part for me was that he simply could not muster the fortitude to recognize his son for so long.

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Well, to be fair, some Napolitanos don’t consider themselves Italians. Once in an interview, a reporter asked Sophia Loren about being Italian and whatnot, she said, I’m not Italian, I’m Neapolitan. It’s some old word greaseball BS but I get it. Italy did not unify till the mid nineteenth century, so older people probably hold onto sentiments passed down from older generations.

But yeah, knocking out Italy in 90 was something else. And if you’re fan of the documentary, you should definitely watch the directors doc on Ayrton Senna, titled, Senna. One of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen.

4. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finished The English Game last night. It was really good! I had always been curious about the early days of football and it did a good job of showing the conflict over paying professionals to play the sport and the struggles of the time.

Albiceleste2010 and SupaMario repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    FIFA made an announcement regarding the Men's Olympic Football Tournament, confirming that players who will surpass the age limit by 2021 will still be eligible to participate in Tokyo 2021. Therefore, anyone 24 and younger (born after January 1, 1997) will now be available for selection (as well as three "overage" players, as always). This is good news for the 17 Argentine players in consideration who were originally going to be ineligible next year due to postponement.

In other news, it appears Paulo Dybala has once again contracted COVID-19. :thumbsdown:

7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wouldnt be surprise that if the test kit right now isnt really 100% accurate yet.

Dybala's girlfriend said they're first tested positive and then negative and then positive again.

Also, only 20% of the death certificate from those who died in Italy are actually said to have died from covid 19. Right now I wouldnt be surprise anyone who die from similar symptoms are being declared to have died from covid 19.

Albiceleste2010 and SupaMario repped this.
  8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Is that right? That sucks, wishing him a speedy recovery.

And good for FIFA. I hardly praise them but if they giving these players a shot at the Olympics then good for them. They shouldn’t be deprived of that opportunity.

Albiceleste2010, Burr and Rattlehead repped this.
  9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    OT ---

How's everyone coping with the pandemic? Anyone directly affected, be it personally catching the virus or having a loved one with symptoms? Loss of jobs, evictions? Mental stress?

Anyone enjoying this rare free-time, finding discoveries or possibly resurrecting old, forgotten habits and hobbies? Reconnecting with the family (or maybe getting fed up with them? :D) ?

Pretty much how is everyone in the BigSoccer Argentina community doing? We may not know each other in person, but I have a fond respect for each and every one of you and very much appreciate our regular interactions. Hopefully these times aren’t taking too much of a toll on anyone here.

Sending my best wishes to you all... keep thriving!

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Things are a bit different. Nothing major on my end. I do miss the small things but at the end of the day, they are small things, and I can live without, so I should consider myself lucky. My parents are here now, they’ve been here prior to the lockdown, so it’s good seeing them more than normal.

I’ve just been watching my shows at night. Thank goodness for the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime and etc. They are helping us to get through this. Nobody wants to watch the news and all the negative nonsense they air.

And HBO’s app HBOGO(or whatever is called) is giving people 500 free hours.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variet.../hbo-free-streaming-us-launch-1234570139/amp/

Who knows how long this thing will last but like loco said, I do hope everybody stays healthy and safe.

11. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on almost my 5th week of working from home now (been with parents since my first week of staying in). Fortunate enough to have the kind of job that allows me to do that. I miss eating out with friends and going to hockey games mostly. Other than that, I'm normally somewhat introverted anyway so I don't mind staying in and watching stuff. There's still plenty of anime for me to catch up on besides all the Netflix and movies and stuff. So far nobody I personally know has gotten sick, however two of my guildmates from Final Fantasy XIV have been hospitalized with symptoms but seem to be getting better. I'm definitely very concerned about my relatives in Argentina. For all the hand-wringing about how poorly prepared USA is and how bad it's gotten here, it just makes me wonder how in the world South America is supposed to get through this.

12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #9237 Rattlehead, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    I'm in South east Asia, I think the situation isnt much different than everywhere else. Me and my wife rarely leave the house in past 2 weeks other than going to nearby grocery store. I visit my family like twice a week, not that far from my home. My office isnt far either but we decided to close it for time being, but I could still work from home through VPN.

While not an antisocial, I'm more of an introvert anyway, so I'm not becoming stressful with the situation. I always prefer to watch movies/sports at home, play video games, listen to music or read books. I've been watching lots HBO in last 2 weeks cause its becoming free aswell here. I do miss going to the gym , play badminton, hangout with friends or relatives for lunch or dinner, etc.

One of my old neighbour (in his mid 60s) who live 2 blocks from parents house actually got infected with mild symptoms. He's an internist so its possibly he might got infected by one of his patient while working in hospital, but who knows. Great thing everyone in his house tested negative though.

Stay safe and best wish to everyone aswell :thumbsup:

13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My brother has been living inside that for in past few weeks. I'm playing Breath of the wild and never actualy had any plan to complete all the shrines but due to corona, I ended up completed the whole thing.

Albiceleste2010, SupaMario and Burr repped this.
  14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    USA Today compiled a list of the Top 25 MLS Players of All Time in honor of the MLS's 25th anniversary, and Diego Valeri ranked at #7 -- ahead of the likes of Beckham, Thierry Henry, Vela, David Villa, and others.

They described the former Lanus midfielder as "arguably the league's most technically gifted midfielder ever"

I remember Valeri showing plenty of promise in Lanus, but then he disappeared off the radar for both the Argentine media and NT coaches when he moved to the Portland Timbers. I wonder if we would have seen him with the albiceleste had he taken a different route....

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Albiceleste2010 and Burr repped this.
  16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I remember watching this match, I probably even brought it up here how good Dybala was during the match.

The years he wasted under Allegri...

Albiceleste2010 and Rattlehead repped this.
  17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I remember 2 seasons ago when he's wasted by Allegri, he's still hit something like 26 goals lol

18. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    His career path wasnt like you describe.

He showed lot of promise back in 2007, he then got called to a few NT games by Maradona.

Then he was sold to Porto. Failed (didn't even score one goal), came back to Lanús. Played for a time until he lost even his starting position in Lanús (lol). Then went to MLS.

To be honest, he simply wasn't that good. Achievements in MLS are meaningless for Argentina NT standars.

19. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mario, I don't want to hear anymore of your smartass responses or I'm going to press the button on your account. Why don't you do something useful and, I don't know, give us some more movie recommendations or sum'?

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not saying he should have been part of the NT, just wondering if his move to the MLS completely obliterated his chances.

Before moving to MLS, he was one of the promising players in the league. Sure, he didn’t shine in his brief spell in Portugal, but in Lanus he was a key part of their championship team (which is a huge merit considering the stature of el granate) and showed unique qualities of a technically gifted midfielder who treated the ball well— an increasing rarity.

He then moved to Portland, won titles and many personal achievements and became a league legend. I remember many of us here on BigSoccer were completely shocked when a player of his caliber left to the United States and we were all saying he was going to easily tear the league up.

The point wasn’t that he should have been called-up by all means, but I just wonder if he would have received a few shots if he put in the same performances for an Udinese or a Villarreal. He may have played in the MLS, but he was still a gifted player that maybe could have provided something to the NT under different circumstances... we’re not talking about a Fede Higuain or Mauro Diaz

22. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I saw this documentario. Parece bueno, sincero y natural. Sin scenarios artificiales.

Do you have WC qualifications in autumn?

totti fan repped this.
  23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Who, me? Never, loco, never...

24. Moaiyad

Moaiyad New Member

Argentina
    Oct 18, 2018

Crespo's goal vs Cote d"Ivoire in WC 2006 (from Tango's archive)

Rattlehead and Siempre_Albiceleste repped this.
  25. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope everyone is well and safe. We must all be on our guard for a very long time.

Things that may interest Burr. The BFI digitize and preserve historic films which provide an invaluable resource for historians. These I think were made by a pair of gentleman Mitchell and Kenyon who travelled around the north west of England with some of the earliest cameras and then showed the films at the local cinemas. People would flood into these to see if they could spot themselves. Bramall Lane is still the stadium of Sheffield United. It was also a cricket ground until the 1970s and had a much bigger playing area as a result to accommodate a cricket pitch.

Bury then in the top division won the FA Cup soon after this in 1903 beating Derby County 6-0. However as of this season they have ceased to exist sadly.

You can see more of these on the BFI channel. The full match which saw Caniggia score the winner against Brazil here.

Two greats of Argentine football. A documentary on La Saeta Rubia.

Batigol. My most recent Argentine home shirt is printed with his name and 9. Sadly he isn't too well with leg problems and severe pain in both. What a wonderful striker of the ball and what charisma. Here he is showing that great defender Franco Baresi the door.

A great rivalry. Well worth reading Animals The Story of England v Argentina by Neil Clack if you can get a copy. It details how football was set up in Argentina. How the English initially refused to allow the locals to play. How the local style developed and how they regarded their matches as apprentices and masters. How respect turned to distrust after the visit of several clubs from England in the twenties and their physical play and of course to 1966 (what a fix that was) and every single match between the two. Lots of reminiscences from former players from the sixties.