Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Palacio also had similar chance in semi against Holland with a weak header while being unmarked, although most people forgot about that one cause we still ended up winning the shootout.

Palacio also had most meaningless and forgettable cameo in 2006 WC. The guy somehow played in 2 WC which is amazing in itself.

2. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
  3. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Lo Celso is currently playing very well and is fast becoming a fan favourite at Tottenham. He struck an amazing free kick against Leipzig the other day, hitting the post.
    Ascacibar is also playing regular football in the Bundesliga, which is good news.
    De Paul has been class in Serie A for over a year now.
    Another underrated option is Emi Buendia. He’s been an assist machine for Norwich this season.

Palacios’ career in Europe hasn’t kicked off yet, that red card suspension basically cost him a month.
    Dominguez hasn’t featured much for Bologna since his debut
    Paredes barely plays for PSG

As it stands right now, I would play a midfield of Ascacibar, De Paul and Lo Celso at the Copa.

I would consider Banega as well. I know that’s an unpopular opinion, but he’s been class for Sevilla this season.

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    newsflash : Messi ended goal drought with 4 goals.

I expected him to hit a hattrick to ended the mini drought but obviously he had another idea.

5. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Exequiel Palacios made his European debut today for Bayer Leverkusen. They beat Augsburg 2-0 and Palacios was man of the match according to FotMob.

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I know this somewhat of an Other Teams section and I know we’ve got one of those buried somewhere around here but what a damn midfielder Kevin de Bruyne is. Strength, size, speed, helps with the defense and attack.

In other news. Lo Celso had a pretty poor showing v Chelsea, perhaps his worst match for Tottenham. Hopefully just a hiccup, since there has been plenty of praise from the club and the fans.

Lautaro has been playing like ass since his return from suspension. It appears he’s already preparing his move to Barca. Just seems out of touch.

Icardi has been pretty awful as well since the new year. He apparently got into it with the manager for not starting in their CL match. Chelsea are eyeing him but his wife keeps on saying it’s gonna be Italy or Paris, she’s saying the distance is too much for them to travel... Which is comical if you ask me.

Burr repped this.
  7. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite thing about KDB is how he can make such long passes with pinpoint accuracy. He's a wizard at that.

SupaMario repped this.
  8. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tigres advanced to the quarterfinals in Concacaf Champions thanks to a last gasp goal by Argentine goalkeeper Nahuel Guzman. Pretty cool

9. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    So we've got WC Qualifying match in 3 weeks. Has there been any news on the selection?

I assume it will be mostly similar to the Copa America squad. I can't see them getting much practice time in since most clubs will still play on the weekend of 21st/22nd and then the qualifying matches are on the 26th against Ecuador and 31st against Bolivia.

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No news yet other than the fact that Messi will miss the first game due to suspension. I'd get rid of Otamendi at this point. We need a pacy CB.

soul24rage repped this.
  11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We will likely get news these upcoming days. It will probably be something similar to the last friendly but the Boca and River will be free. It feels like a lifetime since our last game.

2020 is a massive year for us, I think most of us thought of 2019 has a positive year and the team was gradually forming. We need this upward trajectory to continue.

DTCrackheads, Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great goal for Dybala.

1236761353945321474 is not a valid tweet id

Lautaro has been pretty quiet today. Inter have been crap though but it might be concerning that he hasn’t played well in a long time.

soul24rage repped this.
  13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lautaro seems to be giving up on Inter. I suspect he's already have his mind on another club.

I only saw highlights but Dybala looked fast and slick, hopefully he keeps it up. CR must be piss that he failed to extend his 11 match scoring streak, so he's still share the record with Batigol.

SupaMario and soul24rage repped this.
  14. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    According to the TyC, the official list for the WCQ games vs Ecuador and Bolivia will be announced on Tuesday morning.

Rumored List:

GK: Armani, Andrada, Marchesin
    DF: Montiel, Foyth, Otamendi, Quarta, Pezzella, Kannemann, Tagliafico, maybe Casco
    MF: Paredes, De Paul, Lo Celso, Palacios, Acuna, Ocampos, Guido or Battaglia, maybe Enzo Perez and Nacho Fernandez
    FW: Messi, Aguero, Martinez, Dybala, Alario

locoxriver and SupaMario repped this.
  15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Bati did it in 11 straight matches, Cristiano took a game or two-off, so it wasn't exactly 11 straight matches. Bati still has the record. :cool:

That defense is such a worry. The midfield looks good but I worry about the defense. Otamendi needs to be left out, he's that liability that we had in the midfield in 2018 but in the defense.

Rattlehead, locoxriver and soul24rage repped this.
  16. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing Otamendi is good for is headers now.

17. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If it were me, I would just pick Romero, L. Martinez or N. Perez instead of Otamendi. Otamendi really needs to sod off after the Copa 20 at the latest.

18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The way Brazil just blew pass Otamendi was ridiculous. 4 out of 6 goals we conceided in Copa were all the same exact counter attack, just like France did with 2 of their goals. The last thing you need for this year tournament would be an older and even worst version of Otamendi.

We have thicker midfield this time but to me defensive liablity can easily cost us the game. You can always squeeze through at group stage despite some errors because of the point system, but not at KO stage.

N Perez, Pezzella and Tagliafico should be there. Foyth's form seems to be up and down but I believe he'd still get picked.

The 2022 qualifier should be more interesting cause the current youth team seems to be the best lot since 2008.

19. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    List for players playing for non-Argentinian clubs for the March WCQ.

upload_2020-3-10_8-1-11.png

SupaMario repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's a good list but I do expect the likes of Nehuén, Balerdi, Nico Gonazlez to be cut for the local players. I don't understand why Pereyra is still being called, he's been godawful in the last few friendlies, so his inclusion is a bit of a head-scratcher. But, we are seeing a bit of a pattern with Scaloni, we see who he likes, and it is evident.
    -------------
    We need to secure 3 points v Ecuador at home. We need to hit the ground running and right now Ecuador isn't a good side, anything less than a win is a complete failure. Also, we need to secure points in La Paz, it is never easy to play at that altitude but at the bare minimum a draw is required but I want a win.

After the first two rounds, we'll be back with the qualifiers in Sept, when we have a home match v Paraguay(Another game that we have to win) and then we travel to Lima, which is always a tough match.

So, again, we need to secure these points because round 5-6 will be a home match v Uruguay and then we travel to Brasil. In round 5, Brasil will be traveling to Colombia, and they'll return back home for our match, so, the good news for us, they'll travel and have a tough match on the other end of the continent, where, yes, we will play Uruguay and it is usually a bloodbath when we face each other but we'll at least be at home. Again, I'd like to see us get a positive result. That CA defeat left a bad taste in my mouth.

But who knows, between the first two rounds and 3-6 there is the CA in the middle, we'll probably have more changes in personnel.

Rattlehead and soul24rage repped this.
  21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To me first round of qualifier will always be important, I agree we have to beat Ecuador at very least. Even if there's no Messi, we should still beat them, no excuses here.

Its important to get as much points in first quarter of the qualifier cause things could get tough and mess in last quarter of the qualifier.

In 2010 and 2018 qualifiers, we actually made it to the WC because we managed to snatched important points in early part of the qualifier. I think we started with 3-4 wins in 2010 qualifier before Roman retired when Diego was appointed and thing turned into mess. In 2018 , when Messi was suspended we somehow beat Colombia and get a point against Brazil. Those proof to be crucial points if you look at our run in second half of the qualifier.

22. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Anyway, Tevez trademark rocket won Boca the title in last day was actually quite dramatic.

24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Coronavirus, Modelovirus, whatever, gonna be terrible if they cancel all of these matches, not to mention the risk of losing the CA. But, health should be a priority. I guess I can fiddle my thumbs around this summer, since the US government Is considering to ban traveling as well.

25. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm probably guessing that the CA will be moved to the summer 2021 or be cancelled altogether.

SupaMario repped this.