Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apparently Roma are interested in Gaich.

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Alario with the winning goal for Leverkusen vs. Schalke on his return as a starter.

The goal itself was fantastic, comprised of great ball control, physical strength to beat his defender, and a wonderful, powerful finish as the cherry on top.

Man how I do miss Pipa in River :(

Rattlehead repped this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi needs to unleash those that kind of shots alot more often in NT.

Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Outside of his FKs, I remember he scored one like that v Brasil in the U20s but also that friendly in NY also against Brasil. Can’t really remember anything else.

Icardi scored another on the weekend. Fastest to 11 goals in PSG history. He finds goals, no matter what. I’d still like him integrated into the seleccion. He continues to bang in goals. But Alario seems to be a favorite for Scaloni.

Zlatan Gaichovic had a beauty v River as well. If he continues as is, he’ll surely be a part of the WCQ for the next couple of years. However, he does tend to miss chances, but he’s a crafty player for his size, that is a bit of an asset.

Oh, yeah... Next Tuesday, we’ll get the WCQ schedule. And qualifiers start in March.

locoxriver and Rattlehead repped this.
  5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually, you forgot his two famous shots from outside the box in WC 2014 first 2 games. Here's few other that I remember but I dont think he ever pull the trigger that much in NT.

Too many times when he had space or sees a big gap, he'd rather pass it quickly instead aiming for the goal. That's what I noticed during last 3 Copa. In 2015 and 2016 final, he'd often pass it quickly to Kun, Lavezzi or Higuain... Messi scores countless rockets at Barca and he should be able to do the same in NT. The moment he really went for the goal against Brazil last year, he hit the post.

As for Icardi , I knew would easily scores plenty in farmer's league. The guy has been serie A top scorer twice despite playing in mediocre Inter team, so his ability shouldnt be a question. In PSG he's surrounded by much better players playing against inferior teams, he'd probably get at least 25-30 by the end of the reason (assuming no injury).

I'd love to see him NT aswell , but from what we see in all recent national team games , its obvious that Messi, Kun, Lautaro and Dybala would be a lock. I think Icardi actually scores in his latest game for Argentina.

Cant wait to see the current team to play the qualifier.

SupaMario repped this.
  6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Oh yea, forgot that goal v Iran... I remember that game, I was pissed off late in the game and went upstairs to my room to sulk since I thought it was gonna end 0-0,then I heard a loud roar downstairs when my family were celebrating. I came running downstairs like a fool.

We will see what happens in the qualifiers. I just hope we qualify with a bit more ease. I don’t want to go through that nonsense from 2010 and 2018 qualifiers. But I feel we’ll have a much more balanced team by the time qualifiers are over. But we need to hit the ground running. Can’t drop points to teams at home.

Rattlehead repped this.
  7. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alario has done more in his brief time with NT than Icardi has and deserves to be above him in the depth chart barring a run of bad form, imo.

locoxriver repped this.
  8. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lautaro has been good in the first half v Barca. He had a great hold-up, where he fought off the defenders until Lukaku got there where he shot it in. Let's see if Inter gets another and manage to qualify for the next round.

Rattlehead repped this.
  10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It looks like EL for Inter and Luataro. He was the best player for Inter by a mile. He almost scored a wonder goal, where he just missed. He also had another where it was offside and I believe he actually had 2, not sure if the second one was off Lukaku or Lautaro. If FCB were interested in him before the match, well then, he will surely be on his way to another club soon. Inter have no creativity, they only rely on Lukaku who by the way was utter shit tonight and Lautaro.

Ajax is also gonna end up in the EL, so, Lisandro Martinez and Nico will be playing their European football there.

Rattlehead and locoxriver repped this.
  11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Another day, another goal for Icardi. Dude must love playing with forwards who can score goals as well.

Rattlehead repped this.
  12. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I try to be optimistic but deep inside I feared this would happen. I don’t think that Lo Celso or Foyth are going to progress much under Mourinho, a coach notorious for stalling young player development.

On the positive side, Gazzaniga is doing great right now. It has been a long time since an Argentinian goalkeeper was first choice for a big European team.

13. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
  14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Paredes could be on his way to Juve. PSG-Juve are reportedly discussing a swap for Paredes and Can. I believe Paredes played under Sarri at Empoli.

15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    One hell of a goal by Vangioni for Monterrey in the FIFA Club World Cup:

I understand he hasn't been called-up in a good minute and probably won't ever again now that we have Tagliafico, but who knows... still a great, hard-working, strongarm defender with clear offensive, technical skills.

Paredes also scored a volley from outside of the box (with the help of a defender) to open up to game for PSG vs. Saint Etienne:

Looks like he's finally getting some playing time, after sitting on the bench practially all season. Today's game was his second consecutive start (last week he scored an own goal, btw), which is of significant importance considering how he had only started in 3 other league matches since the season began. I wonder if Tuchel is giving him minutes to try to convince him to stay, since it was almost certain he would be leaving in January in search of regular playing time before Copa America. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but in recent days the British press has been linking him (along with Lautaro Martinez) with a possible Man Utd move in the next transfer window.

Icardi was also on the mark in that match. 13 goals in the last 16 games for Mauro, if I'm not mistaken. He's slowly catching up the top-scorer of Ligue 1 and has the best goals per minute ratio in the entire league (81 minutes per goal). Such a good performance is making PSG seek a permanent move (€70 million buyout clause with Inter), although he is said to be using this as a stepping stone in hopes of moving to either Real Madrid or Juventus next season.

Ansaldi scored two goals in Torino's 3-3 tie vs. Hellas Verona... Like Vangioni, his time with the NT is probably long done, but who knows.... somehow this guy always ends up making the roster as a surprise inclusion due to his multi-functionality.

Nacho Fernandez scored this absolute tikitaka golazo the other day in the Copa Argentina final:

The guy has been on fire for the last year and must be seriously considered for Copa America. Even Riquelme has praised him as the best player in the country.

For those unfamiliar with him, I recommend you also check out his participation in the third goal of the same match to understand how important he can be for moving the ball around and linking plays:

SupaMario and soul24rage repped this.
  16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The U-23 roster has been released for the Olympic Qualifiers tournament, which is set to take place between January and February in Colombia.

[​IMG]

Much of the base of the squad is the roster that won the Pan American Football gold medal in August (Gaich, Urzi, Valenzuela, Colombatto, Medina, Vera, Mosevich, Herrera, Alvarez, etc.). Additions include Nehuen Perez, Lucas Robertone (Velez midfielder), Nicolas Capaldo (Boca midfielder), Nahuel Bustos (Talleres winger), Hernan de la Fuente (Velez defender), Lautaro Valenti (Lanus defender), Tomas Belmonte (Lanus midfielder), and Claudio Bravo (Banfield midfielder).

The only players with senior NT experience in the squad are Matias Zaracho, Alexis MacAllister, and Adolfo Gaich (all received their first cap this year under Scaloni)

Carlos Fernando Valenzuela (Barracas Central) is the only player not playing in a top tier division. Joaquin Blazquez is the only player without regular playing time, if I'm not mistaken (he partakes in Valencia's youth matches instead). Anibal Moreno, who featured regularly in the Pan American games and the U-20 WC the month before, has been dropped likely due to his lack of playing time this season with Newell's.

A perhaps surprise inclusion is that of Valentin Castellanos, a 21-year-old forward who has been on the mark 11 times this season for NYCFC in the MLS.

Maroni may have shot himself in the foot by moving to Sampdoria and riding the bench (2 cup appearances, 0 league games)

Incredible that they keep on ignoring Thiago Almada... maybe next time around.

Anyway, in the first stage we will face off with Colombia (opening game), Chile, Ecuador, and Venezuela. The top two ranked teams in the Final Stage (which will be in round-robin format between the best two teams of each group) will be given the two CONMEBOL spots in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

SupaMario and soul24rage repped this.
  17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

And there you have it.

18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I’m guessing the European players were not released. No Romero, Lisandro Martinez and a couple others.

locoxriver repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This kid’s going to make noise in Europe. It shouldn’t be long before he moves to a bigger side.

I always forget just how young he is since his football IQ and trajectory is that of a much more seasoned player, but he barely turned 21 about a month ago. We’re talking someone who is technically still eligible for the U23 Pre-Olympic Tournament and could have been playing U20 competitions til very recently. I am very excited to see how he continues growing and expect him to become a part of our NT for years to come.

soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #9070 locoxriver, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    I’m not sure if clubs are obligated to release players for this tournament. I believe this is one of those cases in which the clubs have the final say, so I can see the European clubs refusing to send their guys. From my understanding this is the final, confirmed roster.

Edit: Yup, that’s the case. Players who were not allowed to participate by their clubs include Lisandro Martinez, Cristian Romero, Ezequiel Barco, Balerdi, Nicolas Dominguez, and Matias Pellegrini (source)

That link also points out the absenses of Matias Vargas, Thiago Almada, Pedro de la Vega, Agustin Almendra, Cristian Ferreira, Santiago Sosa, Francisco Ortega, Gonzalo Maroni, Ezequiel Ponce, Santiago Colombatto, and others — although all those were by choice, rather than club objection.

Montiel and Palacios were also left out despite being eligible, but in their cases it’s because they’ll likely be playing Copa America in June instead of the Olympics.

SupaMario repped this.
  21. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get that trap game in Bolivia out of the way early at least, but then we have Uruguay at home and Brazil on the road in the same break in October. As we've seen with even Venezuela though, can't take any team for granted nowadays.

SupaMario repped this.
  22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hopefully we don't have to go to Quito with our hearts in our mouths this time around... 2017 was already enough.

That streak of games in Sept/Oct 2021 (Uruguay, Brazil, Chile, Colombia) could end up being decisive.

Burr, soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guess the benefit is that Brasil will also have a tough game prior to our, they’ll travel to Colombia and return home to face us. Travel and the intensity of the match could be beneficial to us. I’d love to go into Brasil and get a W. At least, with Uruguay then Brasil, we don’t have to travel.

And yes, there are no gimmes. Every single game is tough.

We need to hit the ground running, we need to pick up full points at home, especially our first 2 home games and then pick up at a bear minimum draws in Bolivia and in Peru.

My only compliant is that the last qualifier is basically one year away from the World Cup itself. A lot can change in a years time for a team but I suppose there will be a lot of friendlies in between.

Rattlehead and soul24rage repped this.
  24. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Gazzaniga with a horrible play and gives up a penalty. Mourinho was pissed and stormed down the tunnel.