Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players 2013-2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL

LGRod repped this.
  2. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its a good list and felt sad for banegas omission but his recent form and injury might have given sabell a second thought.
    another point here is , sabella wil conider demi as the second back uption for garray/ff . i just hope both garay and ff wll be fit through out the tournament.

Banega please dont get wasted , u got enough talent to make it to the squad again.

3. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    #1503 johnbarley2, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    Not entirely surprising Banega was cut. Sabella's main focus has been turning Argentina into a counterattack team and eliminating counterattack chances by opposition. Argentina has done a complete 180 from what they've been doing since at least 1998. Banega is a possession player and Sabella is not having that. Even when he was in form, you'd expect 2 or 3 dangerous dispossessions in his own third. After the loss in Montevideo I said that Banega was done.

Overall, his picks seem good with Romero and Gago being the big question marks.

I don't understand the Gago fans here. This is a player who has failed at 4 straight clubs and is always injured. Everyone says he plays better for Argentina but the only great match I remember from him was against Costa Rica in the CA. Hardly a top opponent and it was a match were Argentina dominated possession. It's not the kind of match I expect from Argentina in this WC. Even if his form magically improves, despite of his last 4 years of poor club football, he will only be at 100% fitness for one match tops. I think both Biglia and Perez are far better players .

Demichelis is great in the air and Argentina plan on dealing with 10+ crosses per match as they soak up pressure so his inclusion is not surprising.

Pipiolo repped this.
  4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gago played very well when Argentina beat Uruguay 3-0 at home and Chile 2-1 away. That's when Sabella started to be impressed by his connection with Messi on the field. WC isnt only about indvidual quality, luck and momentum played big roles in short tournament like this. The 2002 team has the likes of Veron, Simeone & Zanetti on midfield and defence and finished at group stage, yes just that.

5. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gago has nothing to do with Biglia and if he is on physical form he's way superior than Enzo Pérez.

6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At least Sosa is out. Anyone watching his performance in CL final wouldnt want this guy to be in their team. Coming in second half and still couldnt chase the ball against player who has been on the field for 80 minutes.
    Gago is being picked because his passing skill not his dribbles or speed. We need someone to link up the defence and frontlines and with Gago presence ,Messi does not need to pickup the ball from halfway line all day. That's why Messi failed in 2010, he was placed deep in midfield instead of becoming goalscoring threat.

7. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ok, the list is chosen, we know what our starting line up is likely to be, now in the name of all that is good and decent on the planet go and win the world cup. :)

afar repped this.
  8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Official numbers for the World Cup, if anyone was wondering:

1 Sergio Romero (Monaco)

21 Mariano Andújar (Catania)

12 Agustín Orion (Boca)

3 Hugo Campagnaro (Inter)

4 Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City)

17 Fede Fernández (Napoli)

2 Ezequiel Garay (Benfica)

16 Marcos Rojo (Sporting)

15 Martín Demichelis (Manchester City)

23 José Basanta (Monterrey)

5 Fernando Gago (Boca)

13 Augusto Fernández (Celta de Vigo)

8 Enzo Pérez (Benfica)

19 Ricardo Alvarez (Inter)

14 Javier Mascherano (Barcelona)

6 Lucas Biglia (Lazio)

7 Angel Di María (Real Madrid)

11 Maxi Rodríguez (Newell's)

10 Lionel Messi (Barcelona)

9 Gonzalo Higuaín (Napoli)

20 Sergio Agüero (Manchester City)

22 Ezequiel Lavezzi (PSG)

18 Rodrigo Palacio (Inter)

Pipiolo and SupaMario repped this.
  9. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am pleased Perez has made it.

People are basing some of their choices on the past and what a player did several seasons ago when they were younger. Players do develop and mature, some don't.

Perez has improved his game out of all recognition to be an all action midfielder supplementing the defence, winning the ball and initiating attacks and even being on the end of them. He has been vital to Benfica and as I said before his absence in the EL final was critical.

Ditto for Paletta. He struggled as a youngster over here at Liverpool but over the seasons he has become a rugged enough defender. Yes he still has flaws but keeping Costa in your pocket in an international match is not too shabby and he has been an important part of the Parma team this season in their high finish.

We still have centrebacks superior to him but they were overlooked ie Musacchio and I am sure they will be in post World Cup under a new coach.

Goalkeepers are a huge weakness. Gaitan should be ahead of Alvarez who has been in poor form recently. Also doubts over match sharpness of Gago, Augusto Fernandez. A natural full back like Peruzzi who has really come into form in serie A and could play either flank with Zaba was a must for me.

Nevertheless let's get behind them even the muerto Romero. Keep everything crossed when the ball gets near him. I hope they have put him into intensive training really intensive training.

And I also hope the physical preparation and mental is up to scratch. Other teams are preparing to the nth degree and it's something which is still lacking with the seleccion because of the idiots at the top among many other issues within the domestic game.

cigar_city repped this.
  10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Romero actually did well in Copa America 2011, only conceided 2 goals in 4 matches and he's actually the one that prevent the team from eliminated at group stage, not the defenders. Uruguay goal wasnt even his fault, they scored after a flick header. Remember the friendly against Spain? he made 4-5 good saves. So let just hope that version of him will takes over his clown side.

Sandinista and afar repped this.
  11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When he's in top form he's not a great goalkeeper but can be a solid one. This season he hardly played though. We can only hope that the confidence that Sabella has in him will inspire him to play at his best level.

12. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    this sums our team
    BpM0BBgCcAAphL0.jpg

13. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    By Joe Wright

Goal.com

Jun 3, 2014 7:49:00 AM

The Barcelona star says he always wanted to play for the Albiceleste and admits he has been hurt by criticism over his international form in the past.
    Lionel Messi admits he has been "hurt" by past criticism over his commitment towards playing for Argentina.

The Barcelona star has earned 83 senior caps for the Albiceleste and appeared at both the 2006 and 2010 World Cup finals, but has been accused in the past of showing less enthusiasm for his country than he does in club colors.

Messi, however, insists he would exchange all personal footballing records for the chance of a major honor with Argentina and admits he has been affected by some critics in his homeland.

"I took all the comments: that I showed no desire to play for the national team, that I didn't sing the anthem, that I've no feeling for the shirt. It hurt to come from my country and many unfairly attacked me," he told Marca.

"Argentina is my country, my family, my way of expressing myself. I would change all my record to make the people in my country happy."

Messi went on to explain that he has no qualms over choosing to represent his country of birth rather than Spain, which offered him the chance to turn out at Under-20 level at the beginning of his Barcelona career.

"There were informal contacts to see if I wanted to play for Spain, but I always said I wanted to play for my own team because I love Argentina and I only feel these colors," he added.

"I will always be where the team needs me. Aside from the bad moments, I'm grateful for everything the national team has allowed me to live."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God-willing, let's go Messi, let's go Argentina, go get the World Cup.

Man, I'm so nervous and excited for this World Cup, probably more than any other World Cup.

14. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    see the hoarding made in my place , unfortunately banega was placed i place of gago :)

10298747_656779537749690_7151565062824220885_n.jpg

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That looks pretty disturbing. Appears they are buried there!

cigar_city repped this.
  16. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am an American citizen. I enjoy living in the U.S. but my heart will always be in my family's country of Argentina.

Just looking at the U.S. team makes me cringe
    It's so cute how hard they try.
    Most of the fans are bros with a low soccer IQ
    Dont even get me started with the MLS thats a pretty laughable league that
    I mean Im even older than that league

I just wanted to bring some attention to maybe anyone that feels the same way

Any U.S. fans can reply whatever they want but I'll just laugh

17. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They left Donovan out, man... what's that all about?

18. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm being extra cruel today
    It really would make a difference if they took him or not
    Sure he scores for them but they need more than a Donavon to catch up with the rest of the soccer world

19. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is he like their Tevez? You know, like maybe they're so full of talent at his position and their Messi (whoever that is) doesn't get along with him so they left him out...

Now Donovan is out I think the only player I know from the US team is Klinsmann...

20. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ehhh I guess they treat him like an older Messi even though I think he's more of a Saviola
    I think Klinnsman was being his typical German self and making a statement to the team.
    He wants to be in charge of every aspect which is okay but to make a decision to piss everyone off is only going to give the fans an excuse to blame him when they lose.

21. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Donovan like Tevez, an older Messi, Saviola, lol, you are having a laugh, either that or the crack pipe came out early today. :)

22. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Im obviously saying an equivalent for the US team as being highly regarded
    But the whole point of my post was to poke fun of how laughable they are, he is
    He wont ever touch any of those players no American will

23. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    How good is rojo?

24. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good as a fox baby
    No but in all realness maybe a bit on our bad side but he supposedly had a decent season from what I read on this thread
    He's no Zabaleta

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's their best player in terms of talent, but he's had a bad season and apparently as he's getting older he's not in top shape, so coach Klinsmann cut him.

The thing about the US is, they need to work with their youth, they have lots of youth playing soccer, but they don't emphasize basic ball skills like ball control, dribbling, short passing etc. That's what they need to do to catch up with the world in the long term. But for this WC it's too late to do that, with what they have now, so I understand that their best chance to do decent is to emphasize athleticism, speed and endurance -which are probably their stronger points- as well as conservative tactics. I think that's what Klinsmann is trying to do, and that's why Donovan doesn't fit.

I still think they should have taken him. From what I've seen, he is a different player in terms of talent. Even if he isn't starting, I am pretty sure they are going to miss him when they get behind and have no alternatives to change the game.

Anyway, that's what I'll say about the US, I hope they at least get past their group because I live here and I'd like to see some progress. But lets talk about Argentina.