Argentina : World cup 2018 Russia discussion

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Rattlehead, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi's back into midfield again instead of close to the box like against Ecuador. What a waste of his great finishing.

Perez played well since begining.

2. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    OMG what? Have you seen that run and Di Maria alone next to the goal? Omg

3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's the most annoying thing about this match. Thought we were going to see more of that.

Rattlehead repped this.
  4. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You think you might go to Russia?

5. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not, lol. If I was going to spend that much money to travel for a World Cup it wouldn't be to Russia (or Qatar for that matter). Japan or Australia on the other hand...

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A bit of a sad day seeing the Italians miss out. Seeing Gigi's post-match interview was heartwrenching. The man gave it his all for his national team and he was denied going to a sixth World Cup. Again, I am not sure if we will ever see that again. But honestly, they have been an awful side for over a decade. Sure, they reached a European Championship final but they got hammered in that final. They simply do not produce world-class forwards anymore. It's no wonder they were trying to poach away the likes of Icardi and Dybala from us.

Unak78, Rattlehead and Burr repped this.
  7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well anyone would want Dybala and Icardi... what says a lot more about their FW situation is the fact that Osvaldo represented their NT on multiple occasions :confused:

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But Osvaldo would've rather played in a friendly for us than play at a World Cup for the tanos.:ROFLMAO:

But that's the thing with Italy, why did they stop producing great forwards? They've got their hope on this 16 year old kid, Pellegri out of Genoa to be their savior or something.

9. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given how dire the situation was it's incredible they absolutely refused to look at a guy like Giovinco who is shredding MLS to pieces. Yes a weak league but dominating as you would expect and couldn't possibly be worse than the guys they were running out there.

locoxriver repped this.
  10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Their manager was clueless, he left Insigne on the bench. Apparently, Ventura had asked DDR to warm-up, he said "Why the #### should I go on? We don't need a draw, we need to win." And he pointed towards Insigne, to get him on and he never did. I think Ventura is probably related to Bauza in someway or another.

Yes, Giovinco wouldn't have hurt but the Ventura, if I am not mistaken said that he needed to play in a better league for him to be called-up. Ironically enough, the Swedes brought on a player who plays for the Seattle Sounders and helped close out the match.

Unak78, Burr and locoxriver repped this.
  11. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Italy has been bad for a while....but I believe they will come back. They have Federico Chiesa, along with Insigne.

Also, check out wonderkid Pietro Tomaselli. Just Youtube him. In terms of wonderkids, he is the closest thing to Messi.

Obviously, whether he pans out or not is a different story.

Other than Argentina, I really don't have anyone to cheer for now, as a secondary team. Probably the African nations.

Unak78 and Rattlehead repped this.
  12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm sad since I've always been a fan of serie A, so many Argentines feels at home playing in Italy and becoming a big big heroes there (Diego, Bati and Pupi) to name a few. Even today, the likes of Dybala and Icardi, they became captain at young age. I grew up watching serie A in 90's and was also a fan of their NT (the only NT I support beside Argentina) and I'm rooting for them when Argentina lost in 2006 QF shootout. Baggio , Del Piero, Maldini, Buffon, Pirlo, there has been so many great great players throughout the years but as you said they suddenly stop producing those kind of players in last many years. However, they have at least won a WC in recent time (2006), so Buffon's generation already secured their place in history a decade ago. I just dont think they're good enough this time, not because of bad luck.

Also, Italy at their worst would still beat Germany. so this certainly would benifit Germany alot.

13. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep I was thinking about Germany too. Their path just got easier. As far as second teams go, Italy was always one, but now I guess maybe Spain for me, but since they already won recently, meh. I'd go for almost anyone new if it's not Argentina. Belgium are a fun team sometimes.

afar and Rattlehead repped this.
  14. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I started lurking due to the friendly today, but this post made me wonder about Argentineans. Despite being a Spanish speaking country, you have a huge Italian ancestry, so I often wondered if Argentineans pull for Italy as their second team. A bit like a lot of Nigerians pull for England due to so many kids of Nigerian descent who play for the national team there. Just a bit of cultural curiosity...

15. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually I have the italian citizenship due to my grandfather's roots (I have even voted on a couple elections), but i don't really pull for Italy (nor against it).

I do admire players like Pirlo, Buffon, Totti, and many more one grew up watching, but I could say the same for other countries.

Also, I wasn't alive back then but they did booed our anthem on the 1990's WC final as well and were generally rooting against us (except in Nápoles, of course).

In any case, i respect them the same way i do Germany, as one of the greatest football nations, but will generally root for the underdog if they're playing against one (like Costa Rica a few years ago). I did want them to go to the WC though (Holland too), because i want the best to be there... But what you're gonna do...

locoxriver and Unak78 repped this.
  16. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have italian citizenship too, and when i was little, i remember clearly my grandpa (italian) rooted for Italy as his first team, even more than Argentina. I was a little girl in Italia 90 but i remember her rooting for Italy over Argentina.

I guess many people are like this.

My teams have always been Argentina-Colombia-Italy

But last couple of years Peru has taken over Italy and now i like them to win if Argentina does not.

Unak78 repped this.
  17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POT 1: Russia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Belgium, Poland, France

POT 2: Spain, Peru, Switzerland, England, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, Croatia

POT 3: Denmark, Iceland, Costa Rica, Sweden, Tunisia, Egypt, Senegal, Iran

POT 4: Serbia, Nigeria, Australia, Japan, Morocco, Panama, S. Korea, Saudi Arabia

We theoretically could have a repeat of our group in 2002, lol.

Rattlehead, SupaMario and locoxriver repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have a feeling we're going to get England for some reason

20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #70 Rattlehead, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Even if we get Spain or England, other group will also have a tough opponents like Uruguay, Colombia and Croatia.

To be honest, even if we do end up in same group with Spain , England or Uruguay, I believe this time we will at least finish #2 in the group or top the group. We should be at least get 2 win and 1 draw like in 2006 where we're in same group with Ivory Coast and Holland.

When Argentina won in 1978 , they're in same group with France and Italy. In 1986, they're in same group with reigning champion Italy. Argentina finished #2 in 1978 but topped the group in 1986. In 2006, we're again in toughest group but we finished #1. In 2002, had we score one more goal against Sweden, England would be eliminated. Too bad Bielsa had to wait forever to put Crespo in.

Being in pot 1 certainly an adventage, since we wont get Brazil, Germany or France. They're the top 3 favorites.

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #71 SupaMario, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    I really love the World Cup draw. It's a feeling that we are almost there and it gives us something to talk about until to the tournament itself. It's kinda like Christmas, what are you going to get?

So, let's see. What teams would I like to face?

I'd rather not face another CONMEBOL foe in the group stages because we just finished playing a long tournament and saw them twice. But there is a 3 out of 8 chances of getting one of them.

Also, no more Sub-Saharan African teams, seriously. 1990,1994, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014 we faced a side from sub-Sahara Africa; if we do face an African side, let it be Morocco, Tunisia or Egypt.

Pot 2-. As I stated earlier, I do not want to play a CONMEBOL side, so that eliminates, Peru, Colombia, and Uruguay.

That leaves us with Switzerland, Mexico Croatia, Spain and England*. I really disliked the negativity that is Switzerland. Not only from our last World Cup meeting but the way they are so happy going home drawing 0-0 games. For a country that is progressive thinking, has so much beauty and makes delicious chocolates can't they play some attractive football? I'd say pass.

Mexico... I can only imagine the nauseating coverage I will have to bear to witness on the networks here in the States. Next.

Now we are left with the remaining European sides in Pot 2, Spain, Croatia and England*. Spain would be possibly the match-up of the KO stages of the entire tournament. I wouldn't mind seeing them. I believe it will be important to get a tough match in the group stages. Not tough in the sense we have to break down a wall of defense but to play against a side that can challenge us and Spain will surely do that.

But I think the most intriguing match will be Croatia. They have a side that comes out to play and have a very good midfield.

So, my vote for pot 2 will be Croatia.

*I totally forgot to do England. Playing England is always interesting. They have some hyped up players with the likes of Kane and Alli but I'll be honest, I don't know much else about the England team. But at the end of the day, an Argentina-England game is always something both sides would relish. This game could easily see a few cards and perhaps if it's our last game in the group stages, it could be dangerous.

But as I stated earlier, my vote would still go to Croatia.

Pot 3 and 4 I will try to do it tomorrow.

22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nigeria always end up in same group as Argentina. Even in WYC and Olympics, we keep facing them in the finals. For some reason, we always end up facing Nigeria no matter what.

Btw, what would be the order of the match ... I mean is the first game would be against team from pot 2 and then team from pot 3 and 4 ?

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is a draw when we will play the team from pot 2,3 and 4. They have a set of balls that say in which order.

Burr repped this.
  24. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Interestingly Russia is the worst ranked team in WC18. Has this ever happened for host before?

Christina99 repped this.
  25. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    From Pot 2 I would like Croatia or Mexico
    Pot 3 anyone really
    Pot 4 anyone BUT Nigeria

Could we get something like