Argentina vs Spain, September 7 (R)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Volrath, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    According to canchallena we play a friendly contra el campeon del mundo in New York.

Link.

2. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Argentina vs Spain, 11th of september

i will be there without question

3. msi2

msi2 Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Paris, FRANCE

LMAO at the date, the place and the opponent... :D

4. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Last time I got 300 tickets for my peeps to watch Arg. v USA. Brought my flag out and everything! If this happens I definitely there!

Also there is mention that four days earlier Argentina might play either Mexico, Ecuador, Colombia or even the USA.

5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

laugh me all you want, I'm not surprise if Argentina win this match
    I'll be quoting this post after the match is over.

6. Fgiriun

Fgiriun Member

Jun 3, 2007

Isn't Maradona banned from entering the USA since 1994?

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

He is, but they've been working for months to get him a temporary visa that will allow him to enter the US. Then again, is it even 100% confirmed that Maradona will be in charge of the team 2 months from now? :confused:

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

According to ESPN, AFA offered him another 4 years but no statement yet from Diego himself. But knowing it's Diego and Messi had vocally supporting him again...

9. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Yeah, he even mentioned it himself in an interview with Clarin last year. He said that he hoped that Obama would let him in.

10. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Diego will be allowed in, you watch. He also is going to be the DT in the future as well. Hopefully with the staff of his choice and not Grondona's or Bilardo.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Diego was banned from Japan because of his addiction history

yet he still end up watching the final inside the stadium

12. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

They allowed him in the end, a bit late but they allowed him.

13. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  14. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

Is New York confirmed to be the venue?

I was kinda hoping it was LA, since that would be closer for me....

15. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Is there any point to this friendly aside from making money ? I know it'll be great for expat Argentines in the US and those who love football in general.

However I doubt very much either side will field many players from the WC which for us might be a blessing.

16. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

And if an Argentine player so much as breathes on a Spanish player the media re going to go nuts about our anti-football tactics. ;)

17. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Argentina vs Spain, September 7

I don't know how it is where you live, but here on the contrary people were praising us a lot for playing attacking football.

18. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I heard that there were going to be two friendlys. One west coast and another east coast.

19. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

OK i will be doing me best to be there. can NYC Cosmos or anyone else in the NYC area post any info as the details about tickets, time etc. as they become available

20. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Leon's comment is tongue in cheek. ;) There was a lot of praise here in England too. I remember Hansen saying 'there is no finer side in posession of the ball than Argentina , even better than Spain'.

I could do without that praise if we actually had a proper coach who might get us some silverware. 1993 seems to be a distant memory.

21. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I understand your frustration, believe me I feel it as well, but the silverware will come, we just need to forget about winning and concentrate on just playing.

We were getting there, gelling as a team, getting to know each other and finally forming a competitive squad. Diego was helping to get rid of some negative mindsets from the players formed over the years. We were actually very offensive and very dangerous. Unfortunately what happened happened. This team is finally coming, unfortunately we didnt peak at the right time.

22. Fgiriun

Fgiriun Member

Jun 3, 2007

I admire your optimism but like many other posters here I believe that when it mattered most the tactician wasn't there to lift the team. Group stages are obviously not as mentally draining on the players/coaches as the knockout but the players and Maradona appeared too cocky/confidence prior to the Germany match. Not making a single substitution and/or tactical alteration reinforces this assumption. I don't believe that Maradona really listened to his assistants but I'm quite certain that the moron Ruggeri played a huge role in the set up prior to the Germany game.
    If Maradona would have watched a full German match he would have realized that they thrive if left with ample horizontal space down the midfield. It was beyond important to reduce this space by starting two CM's alongside Mascherano and thus have the balls to sub Tevez in later in the game. The two pseudo wingbacks - Di Maria and Maxi - provided absolutely little mobility because they were efficiently closed down not just by Germany's midfielders but also by their forwards. Messi couldn’t get any service near the area so he had to resort to the CM role which minimized the offensive treat.
    If Messi would have started between the German defense and midfield he would have been unstoppable and the Germans would have been too busy marking him and thus leave Argentina room to venture and maintain large amounts of possession.
    As you can see this game was a tactical disaster and the coach is far more responsible for the loss than the players.

23. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm not so much a fan of the "equipo que gana no se cambia" but it has worked for many throughout time. Personally I felt that Diego was looking to bring our game to the Germans and not vice versa. Unfortunately the early goal really killed us. We did manage to keep the Germans at bay for 65 or so minutes more until the 2nd goal and then it was all downhill from there.

As far as Ruggeri I'm afraid your right, I've never liked him either and I don't understand what Diego see in him.

I agree with you on this. This loss was on Diego. He should have made moves earlier but being that the goal was so early he probably felt that the team could take this win from behind.

Maybe Diego had too much confidence in his players.

24. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Forget about talking tactics in this thread. Are you going to come watch the game in NYC?