Argentina vs Portugal - Friendly, 18 November 2014

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Rattlehead, Nov 17, 2014.

1. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi OUT, Nicolas Gaitán IN.

2. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    We have not improved an inch since the Brazil game and it seems like their just not buying into Tatas system.

He needs to pick players based on characteristics

3. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Higuain OUT, Tevez IN.
    di Maria OUT, Lamela IN.

4. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Messi came out and the attack has been nothing.

afar repped this.
  5. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portugal goal in stoppage time. 0-1.

6. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    If Portugal can look better than you in a game then we definitely have a sh** load of work to do because we looked like a middle school team in the 2nd half and Tata looked clueless with his subs and backup plan

7. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    For all of Argentina's talent and creative mids like Di Maria, Lamela, Pastore, and Gaitan, and fwds like Tevez, Higuain, and Aguero, we are so reliant on Messi to create anything. We created two chances today, one that Messi created for Di Maria, and the other Messi shot off the post.

Unbelievable.

Dr. Know repped this.
  8. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This team and the players aren't going anywhere. Sabella maximized the pure potential of this team and even THEN, many players seemed to give more about their clubs than putting an effort in for the country. Let them collect the millions, another generation of underachievers.

9. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Every generation of Argentine players since 1986 seem to remind us how great Diego was for the NT. Doesn't look as if we will experience that again, not in my lifetime anyway.

10. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Lets not make a big deal over a friendly and point fingers at the players. This team took us to the finals without our 2nd best player and an injured Aguero. These guys also played the beat defensive system in the world cup and this is all only 4 months ago.

Martino needs to shoulder the blame for playing 6 attacking midfielders at once and not realizing that his system requires a poacher and at least one solid box-to-box midfielder supporting the offense. Instead he selects players based on the media's top 20 Argentines in Europe!

11. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  12. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You guys played better, but we did something unPortuguese and that is score from one real chance. You guys have a great team, but it seems you guys have been at a loss on how to maximise your potential for a long time, not too dissimilar to us. Anyway our second win [and only] since 1972, we for once played like a team, due to out new ex Greece coach (3, 1-0 wins away to Denmark, home to Armenia and neutral ground).

Like many of your players, like your style (hope in a short time we can play like you and win).

Pipiolo repped this.
  13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #38 Rattlehead, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    I actually fell asleep and missed out this game entirely , I guess I didnt miss anything....
    :whistling:

Meanwhile Sabella's team only lost 5 times in 3 years, only once in Conmebol until we qualified to the WC (with the other one lost being a match that not matter anymore) and in 113 minutes of World cup final. If you add the fact that we have 3 games that went into extra time, we actually had the best defence in the tournament. I think he lost just twice in friendlies, one of them was the game against Brazil which only contested with local players.

Remember that Sabella needs time but not that long, after thrashing Chile, he lost and draw the next 2 games and that's it, we never look back and went all the way to the World cup final. He's not exactly taking a team that was in good shape, I mean he took a sinking ship that was driven by Diego and Batista previously.

Pipiolo repped this.
  14. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    #39 johnbarley2, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Wow, I'm surprised by the comments. I thought this was the best match we played under Tata. Mainly looking at the 1st half. The 2nd progressively lost momentum as subs came on of course. We didn't play badly in the 2nd half either though.
    It sucks to lose by a sucker punch but Portugal basically had one chance when we sort of switched off in the 90th minute of a friendly. They had no counterattacks, only 2 corners. They did have a couple of dangerous free kicks though. We carved out several opportunities against a good defense.

The defense wasn't tested too much but I liked Roncaglia and Ansaldi played alright. Otamendi has plenty of spectacular flips and somersaults alongside some shaky moments. Too bad we didn't see Fazio/Otamendi.

The midfield was great.
    Pastore did pretty well everywhere. I like him crashing the box to get in on crosses alongside our striker. Think he deferred too much to ADM and Messi though and a bit too cautious when on the ball going forward. He needs more matches to get comfortable and loosen up.
    Mascherano was his usual self.
    Biglia was fantastic. Our best player of the match. Perfect positioning, excellent in possession, great tackling and smart interceptions (some of them springing attacks) and fouls, linked up well with our attack. For me there is no doubt that he should start.

Our forwards were mediocre.
    Messi's passing was very off but he had some good moments.
    Higuain never gained position (portugal has good centrales but still) and did nothing when he got the ball in space a couple of times. Very poor from him.
    ADM was better than in the last match but he seems out of form.
    Our forwards never were able to break the offside trap.
    If Messi will continue to play wide, I'd want to see Aguero start like against Croatia.

Our biggest weakness was when there was a spell in the second part of the first half when Portugal started pressing us and playing a high line. Our back 8 (Guzman+defense+midfield) were too focused on breaking it gradually, which they did pretty well, but we should have tested the high line with more long balls . I think Tata needs to prepare them better for this. The back 8 was too tight and the forwards weren't making the runs.

I liked Gaitan's movement cutting in from the right as well as tracking back. Too bad he didn't finish one of his chances. If we are going to play Messi central, I like him as our right winger.

It's annoying seeing Tevez when we should be testing out a poacher like Icardi.

15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is one of biggest problem this year, we looks intimidating upfronts throughout 2014 Conmebol and then we stopped being good upfront since Pipita ankle injury and Kun's hamstering. I can understand during the WC since those 2 barely recovered, Kun didnt even recovered but getting injured again instead.

But since the WC, against Portugal, Brazil and Croatia, I really think we should have done better upfront. You see Brazil had no problem clicking despite their minimal talent outside Neymar and changing manager. Its frustrating because this weekend, you'll see our frontlines banging more goals than the any other nation frontlines.

I never like the idea playing without real #9, we need someone that can replace Higuain's role instead of having midget like Tevez who's playing style more similar to Aguero and Messi.

17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sure, the media loves to make every Real-Barca a "CR7 v. Messi" thing, but it's still interesting to look at the numbers.

They have quite similar numbers in goals and penalties, for instance, but what's interesting is the clear difference in assists. In the 26 times they faced each other, Cristiano only assisted his teammates once, while Messi has done so 10 times.

Depending on how you look at it, you could say that Cristiano is more focused on outscoring/shining Messi in these games, while Messi appears to be more team-oriented.

19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But like Wenger pointed out recently, CR goal streak this season did affected Messi's performance. He hit the woodwork 4 times in last 3 league games and scored none.

If you look at CR number of caps both in NT and club , Messi dwarf him in term of goal ratio. If you look at number of assists in their career, Messi dwarf him again. If you compare their age, Messi only 27, CR will turn 30 soon.

20. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The first 20 minutes is the key in Tata Tactics..If the team cant score 1 or 2 goals with in the first 20 minute then this team will be in trouble for sure..The highline defence will not work agaist counter attacking teams.. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sounds like Bielsa's team in 2002.

22. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Our defense was better than that against brazil or germany match.

Individually ottamendi and Demi done good job , but this high line defense is quite new for our team it will take time to adjust to that but personally i still can digest the high line defense tactic , but we have to live with that.

And about attack , we were too reliant on wings , very less penetration from center , and whenever dimaria trying to make a cross , there will be 1-2 players in PB. i dont think this strategy is working well .

Messi in wing is a kind of back to his early days if he can shine in there and some other can play effectively on center there is nothing to worry.

Morale boosters:
    1:Roncalgia , he was superb really impressed :)
    2:Biglia is starter for our NT , tata please dont even think of taking him away.
    3:eek:ttamendi was very aggressive , can be a good partner for garay in high line defense.
    4:Ansaldi was getting better in every match.

The Bad:
    1: Tevez is not the solution for our NT .
    2: i am still not happy with dimarias wing position in NT. He need last years role where he excelled in RM and NT.
    3: Lamelaaaaaaaaa , this guy need a break. better call iturbe or vietto in place of him

Copa is the major check point for tata , better he win that for us.

bsas repped this.
  23. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    While I agree this was just a friendly, and especially one in November, there has to be concerns about the number of chances created. I counted three good chances, with Di Maria's shot in the 4th minute, Messi's off the post, and Pastore's header.

While we passed well, and there was movement, there was no service to our forwards. Herein lies a major problem ---- is there no one other than Messi who can create open passing lanes for us? I know Di Maria can, but whether he is off-form or lost, he is not creating anything for us.

Higuian huffed and puffed, but we almost only rely on our forwards to create something for themselves, or for Messi to do it.

For all of Pastore's industry yesterday, he did not open the defense up even once --- nor did Lamela or Gaitan.

Finally, more than Vietto or Iturbe, it has been Dybala who has shown.

Additionally, while Mascherano offers so much as a defensive cover, his passing and shots are pretty average. He offers almost nothing going forward. Not his job, I know, but we have to compensate for his lack of passing skills.

The positives, though, were that Roncaglia looked very good, as did Biglia. Both were stupendous. Otamendi as well was very aggressive, other than a few hiccups. The defense looked much, much better than in the previous games, but Portugal did not really offer much of a test.

We really need a good passing midfielder with vision. Not just a good passer, but someone who has good vision to open up defenses. After Riquelme generation, there only has been Messi who can open up defenses with his passes on a consistent basis ----- no one else.

Finally, more than Vietto or Iturbe, it has been Dybala who has shone.

24. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    I agree with everything u posted but i also think because we were very widely spread out it hurt our chances to disorient their defensive scheme and became more predictable. It was obvious that Fideo still doesnt understand his new role and the likes of Pastore/Lamela are not the answer for our midfield.

I have said this time and time again we need a CM who can offer creativity in midfield not another attacking midfielder like Pastore or Lamela because their pressing and defensive game is flat out pathetic.

The problem is we dont have many options in Europe but a bunch in the Primera. Cartabia is the only guy that comes to mind in Europe. This is Martino's job though, find the right characteristics of players and select them and find alternatives to your stars.

So far he has selected the players the media want to see selected and not guys who can actually play in his system. Heck Ricky Alvarez can do a better job than both Pastore and Lamela in creating plays.

afar repped this.
  25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is why Sabella was successfull from 2011-2014, his tactic was effective without a creative CM. Diego and Batista wanted Diego to play Roman's/Xavi's role and its a failure. Tata seems trying to force Pastore into that creative role but he'll never be a traditional CM ala Riquelme.