Argentina vs. Nigeria Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Moishe, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Re: Argentina vs. Nigeria Post Match Thread

I agree. Bottom line, playing for gd isn't a sound strategy at all. At this point, everyone in this group is counting on getting 3 points from Greece, and Nigeria is counting on Argentina beating Korea, which isn't a given. Say Korea comes away with the point that you could have pushed for in this game? Now you're in a situation where you have to beat Korea to go through and gd is meaningless. Who knows, but you should should always play for points if you can get them.

2. enmiopinion62

enmiopinion62 New Member

May 13, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

You are so right!!!!

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nigeria were terrible (outside their keeper - I'll spell his name wrong). They have talent, but lacked the team work and inspiration neded to breakdown Argentina.

I was surprised to see Veron start and he did well against an uninspired Nigeria. Versus Korea he is going to struggle.

Messi did as he normally does for Argentina - come close all match long.

For the rest, Argentina had too much patience. They should have been forcing the ball in and around the penalty area to unlock their creativity. Sadly, there was a great lack of this, but some did appear. On those occasoins, Argentina looked truely dangerous, yet stil couldn't score.

Talent wise, Argentina should have had 5 or 6, but it took a poorly marked Heinze to score. This easily could have been 0-0. And from the dislplay between Veron and Maradona early to middle fo the first half, Diego does not seem to have the respect of leadership that a DT/Manager needs to have of the team. This could be a major problem.

Nigeria out in the group stage. Argentina out in the quarters.

4. Match-Debater

Match-Debater New Member

Jun 5, 2008

3 points in the bank, job done!

Super Eagles should've been buried. The match highlighted the importance of getting the two goal cushion.

Decent performance overall. Leo did everything but score. Only worry is Jonas who clearly isn't a defender. Further down the line he'll be targeted.

Argentina & S. Korea to qualify.

5. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

I love how everyone is just trashing on Nigeria. We went up against the best offence in this WC by far and lost 1-0 while missing many chances of our own. This team ripped apart the best defence in europe last WC 6-0. I am not worried about our opponents at all, Korea just looked good because Greece is just so damn terrible, probably the worst team in the whole tournament.
    Our boys were nervous at first but actually were composed at the back and defended well against Messi and co. and it was clear they did not want to foul or give away any cheap PK's. Not to mention Argentina's goal should not have counted because Samuel pulled a basketball pick and shoved a defender away, even the CBC commentators repeated this fact over and over again. Either way Argentina deserved to win so I am not really upset.
    Enyeama had a great game and with a little more composure we easily could have tied this game. We will see how good Greece and Korea do against ARgentina. Do us a favor and score a boatload vs Korea. I still believe since we only let one in vs Argentina we are in good shape, I'm certain going into the final game with Korea we will both have 3 points and we will have the better goal difference. I believe Korea could have scored more vs Greece today and may end up regretting it.

6. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Korea are not Argentina.

Korea beat a terrible Greece team. I can easily see Nigeria beating Korea if
    they sort out their finishing.

Nigeria are so strong I doubt Korea can cope with them from set pieces in any shape or form. They will be shitting themselves every cross.

7. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Exactly. This IS a average Nigerian team but Korea will not be able to handle the size and stength of Nigeria and will be crushed physically. Greece are a joke.

Nigeria will beat them if Martins and Yakubo play from the start.

8. Killboard

Killboard Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Bolivar, Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

I saw a Veron good game, i dont ask him to defend, i saw him like the only player that played for Messi, and he was sharp with long balls. There is no way imagine Cambiasso and Zanetti playing the Veron role.

9. nevilarus

nevilarus New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I wonder if this Argentina side can make it to the final. But even they can't do it, they still have 4 more years to find a decent playmaker.

A great and so damn young frontline, just one more playmaker.

10. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

They had one, Riquelme, just Maradona doesn't like him.
    Aguero is young and can be that playmaker

Playmakers are not what Argentina need, they need a defence.

11. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

Hardly. The Nigerian defense got torn apart and stretched pitch wide every time Argentina got the ball, and every time it ended with Argentina missing or saved by the keeper.
    And don't forget they gave up two fk from dangerous positions.
    The only successful element of the Nigerian defense was the keeper. Ethulu was invisible. Kaita shown up more on offense than defense.

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

I am surprised by the comments I am reading, as the game I saw would not warrant the dismissive attitude about Nigeria nor the alarmist views on Argentina. Argentina clearly showed, to me at least, as one of the top 3 sides in this tournament. And Nigeria were not rubbish at all, merely playing it safe against a side they know can thrash an opponent that is foolish to play them reckless.

IMO, Argentina will easily beat S.Korea. By 2 or more goals. While Greece are rubbish, they are a physical side that can still bunker and try to frustrate an opponent. Hence, even though I still expect Nigeria to beat Greece, I wouldn't be shocked by a draw in that game. On the other hand, I believe Nigeria will be able to handle S.Korea, which IMO struggle against sides that are both physical and skillful. In other words, I believe the game between Nigeria and Greece will do more to decide whether Nigeria or S.Korea advance to the next round than the last game between Nigeria and S.Korea.

And, yes, I see Argentina moving to the next round with 3 comfortable wins.

13. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

what then when Roman gets shut down. Like in Copa final,

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

100% correct. Nigeria vs. Greece is shaping up as perhaps the worst game of the tournament.

15. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

worst of group for sure

16. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Burdisso for jonas, any1 for higuain

17. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

is gutierrez slow, from what I have seen he is pretty athletic...
    in general this thread is nuts, imho, since when will people learn not to judge a whole tournament on the first match, just look at france/argentina '06, italy '82 and '94 and many other examples of teams that looked great after one match and flopped and/or sucked in the group stages and gained momentum and had a great tourney. bottom line, argentina even with poor finishing got 3 points. job well done for them

18. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

thats not true at all. its more the other way around. riquelme is a great player, but he is thin skinned. twice hes retired from the NT under different coaches. in argentina it is a sin to turn down a call from the National Team, not like in england where players do it all the time

argentina will be fine. we hadn't played in a while and needed to shake off our rust. we kept a clean sheet too, that is all that matters. we will player more defensively later in the tournament, today we went all out on the attack. when we play a team at our level, you will see a different line up and strategy

19. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

and let Veron play with Maxi if Di Maria is unproductive.
    Milito obviously can play the SS position much better than Higuain. This is good though, let Higuain run for at least the first 60 minutes, making Milito much more effective when he comes on. And el pipa can score if enough chances were given to him. He did fairly well on some of the touches, and he definite can get there.

20. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I see Koreans are sorely underestimating Nigeria and Argentina. Boy will they get a rude awakening/reality check in the next two games!

21. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

nigeria is a good team. we always struggle against them. olympics, world cups, U20 world cups, it is always tight. they are big and physical and athletic. it was a really good game to win

22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

THANK YOU
    Some comments I'm seeing are just plain retarded. Argentina will easily beat Korea, just watch.

Greece cannot afford to bunker, the game will also be played at altitude which will make them look even worse than they were today. If we are on our game, we will tear them apart.

23. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Nigeria and Argentina will expose that sorry Korean defense easily.

Greece is finished.

24. ssri

ssri New Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Club:
    AC Milan

That is the problem of fielding Riquelme, as he needs a team to be constructed solely around him in order to utilize his talents. However, when the opposing side effectively neutralizes him or when he has an off-color day, then there is no plan B, as Brazil and Germany cruelly exposed in Copa America and WC2006 respectively.

And for those who cry out for Cambiasso to replace Veron, I want to try out some of the stuff all of you are smoking. Cambiasso is effectively a DM, not a playmaker. If Maradona fields both Mascherano and Cambiasso together, how will Argentina's midfield feed Messi or the frontline? Both Mascherano and Cambiasso are effective at shielding their respective back-4s and playing short passes to their midfielders. As someone pointed out earlier, it seems that Veron was the only midfielder playing for Messi.

As for Zanetti, he certainly would have been an improvement over the joke of a RB Maradona fielded today. Maradona could rue the decision on not taking him along.

It seems that Milito, in his limited cameo, displayed much better linkup play between himself and Messi and Tevez. Also, you could damn well be sure that he would've buried those chances that Higuen spurned. Against another footballing superpower, Argentina could very well suffer from such profligacy.

25. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

For the record, I wouldn't trash Nigeria, they played a very smart game that just didn't go their way. Much respect to the Nigerian goalie, he shot down Messi and had some unbelieable saves! Definitely a 9.5 if not a 10.