Argentina vs. Nigeria Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Moishe, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ----------------------------------------------

Argentina 1 :: 0 Nigeria

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Argentina vs. Nigeria Post Match Thread

Not as impressed by this Argentine squad as I thought I would be. Looking forward to seeing some real quality footy this aft between England and the US. Should be a classic!

3. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

i feel bad for the nigerian gk , he must be frustrated to lose after playing a crazy match becoz his players failed at the ck ( everybody was standing and watching )

they should atleast gotten a draw to reward him for his efforts to keep the argentintians at only 1 goal , and yeah he did get man of the match after all , great game :)

4. juanse_moncayo

Jul 29, 2004
    Columbus OH- Ecuador
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

It was won by the least bad team. And I cant wait to see how Maradona sees it like a great game. Any other serious team would have crashed either team. I want to see their games against Korea

5. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)

Entertaining match.Could/Should have had more goals though!This match and the Mexico-South Africa match had the best action out of all matches...

6. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

You suck Nigeria! Yobo sucks; Martins sucks; Taiwo sucks; you all suck. I hope you lose all of the rest of your games. What the f*ck have you been doing the last ten years to produce talent? Why is it that tiny African countries like Ghana and CIV can produce gems like Essien and Drogba and we get the likes of Obassi and Yobo?!!

I never had much hope for them, but this was HORRIFYING to watch. I'm never watching any more of their games. I'm rooting for CIV and S. Africa for the rest of the cup. See what you made me do Nigeria?? I'm dome with you. Thanks for wasting the last ten years of my life with your apathy. Pathetic. Just pathetic. I hope you lose to South Korea by ten goals.

7. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA

Only thing that went wrong for them was Enyeama.

8. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Argentina is solid, elite up front, terrible in the back. Nigeria is trash, the keeper most definitely is going to a big club after the World Cup. Probably Juve or Arsenal. Odemwengie should have started, Lars is a retard for that one.

9. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999

Enyeama's heroics weren't enough to give his team a result, but he helped keep their chances alive by keeping the score 1-0. At 1-0, Nigeria still has a decent chance of advancing with four points in the last two games.

10. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

By action do you mean missed chances? Korea played very well today and the game had plenty of action.

11. MachoRhombus

MachoRhombus Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Both teams looked uninspired, neither of them wanted to risk an injury and didn't tryied to really create a game, Nigeria must be thinking that Greece and S. Korea should be easy treats and there was nothing to win other than risking injuries today, same for Argentina.

12. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Considering how we started, this ended up being the Argentina I've come to expect. Of course if Messi finishes his chances we are all singing a different song. Nigeria on the other hand by virtue of a tremendous keeper was in this match until the very end. Some better finishing and this is a different result.

13. juanse_moncayo

Jul 29, 2004
    Columbus OH- Ecuador
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

I honestly think, eventhough they played bad, it was a lack of a good classic 10 and the management for not giving a clear game plan. they were playing to counter attack and work with speed, a physical game, but yet they still did not put a pressure on the argies when they were holding the ball.

14. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

you're out of your mind. 6 points or no chance in this group

15. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Any quality offensive team would have nailed the Argentine defense to the wall. Midfield was spotty at times as well. I really expected more with all the hype.

16. MachoRhombus

MachoRhombus Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Completely agreed, Jonas and Demichelis were utter crap today.

17. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US

Was this a training match for Nigeria? They seemed unwilling to pressure Argentina at all.

18. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Enyeama is the MOTM
    Nigeria is terrible outside of Odemwengie who had that major f**kup with his selfishness.

Messi wrecked havoc but didn't finish. Nigeria need Okocha back.

19. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After watching Korea, Nigeria will be home after the third game.

20. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

This is true, but I just can't see how we're going to score goals. This hasn't been a problem only for this game. This was a problem in both of our last two African Cup runs, especially in '08. We don't have any craftiness in the midfield. I like our goalkeeping but not our defense. We could lose to Korea and draw Greece and go home with one point like we did in 2002.

21. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)

Yeah I meant missed chances:shots wide,great saves etc....The Greece-South Korea match was good too but Greece only started playing in the last 15-20 minutes or so...

:)

22. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I doubt Korea OR Greece will be able to cope with the Nigerian Wall Enyeama.
    Hell, if MESSI couldn't get a shot past that monster, there's no friggin' way that lame Greek team and Korea could.

Messi played hell of a game. The man got in there, and attacked several times.
    Our only real problem was Enyeama, really.

23. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999

I disagree. Argentina is a team that can potentially deliver a multi-goal defeat against any of its three opponents. If you avoid that outcome, and your rival for second place doesn't, a draw against that same rival becomes a more viable result.

24. atljogger

atljogger New Member

Oct 21, 2009

Higuain was disappointing I thought. He missed a couple of point blank chances in the first half. I'd like to see Diego Milito get the start up front.

25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

All the hype though is around their offense (and deservedly so). South Korea will be the most interesting game for them. Greece is unlikely to exploit that defense unless they seriously wake-up.

Enyema was clearly the man of the match and to me this was all about Argentina missing their opportunities and Nigeria not even being able to put theirs together.