Argentina vs. Germany (Quarter Finals) - July 3, 2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Certainly not.

2. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    None of the regulars trolled anywhere throughout the entire WC, always congratulated the other team and been respectful. Don't let a handful of nuts get into your head.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I think we should be more concerned with how Spain handled Germany that the german Posters. It was a masterclass of possession and good defending.

The Spaniards played well both individually and collectively. (OK, except maybe Pedro on one play :eek:)

We have the players to put that kind of team on the field (with better finishing), but I just don't think the AFA will put that kind of DT and team out there.

Too bad, really.

4. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Spain actually had a midfield.

For the life of me, I can't understand, why El Diego, himself a great midfielder, didn't think it was important to develop a midfield.

5. zartosht

zartosht New Member

May 5, 2010
    germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

the thing is half of this spain team are playing together in barcelona all the time. they know eachother very well they act very pro in midfield i had the feeling even with close eyes they can find eachother. we had over 100+ different player in our team nothing was cordinated beside the corner and free kicks.next time we need more time for cordination with the same team thats why 2006 argentina team was much better then this time.

6. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    oh, you mean that Mascherano all by himself in the middle wasn't enough? (pick up the sarcasm)

I think that the fact that Iniesta and Xavi play together really helps Spain. If you watch the Germany v. Spain game, those two guys completely dominate the midfield; they know where the other guy is going to be without even looking. Playing in the same team and even at home in your domestic league really helps. In fact, 20 of the 23 players in the Spanish national team play in Spain; 7 play in Barca alone!!! Huge advantage for Spain!!! And 22 of the 23 Germans play in Germany!! But only 8 dutch play in Holland.

(6 of our players play in Argentina- but none are starters)

Obviously, b/c of the salaries, this could never happen for us. . . it sucks.

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Well, Ok, but who's fault is it that we didn't spend 2 years molding teamwork and instead auditioned 100+ players ( and then, I will argue, didn't put the right ones in the right positions)?

I'm going to go have another beer and watch the 25 passes Cambiasso goal again....

8. El Mandrake

El Mandrake Member

Mar 21, 2004
    en la popu
    Que verguenza

9. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    4 argentines do play on the same team in Inter. But we probably shouldnt go into that.

10. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ouch! I though of the same thing. . . G_DDAMN IT!!

11. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pastore and Bolatti might have functioned better v Germany. Oh well. :(

12. King Aguero

King Aguero New Member

May 22, 2008
    People are talking as if it was rocket science to beat Germany any coach could have beaten that team you didnt nees Iniesta and Xavi you needed a proper team with a proper midfield and a proper defense.

Argentina's defense was always a question mark. We didnt have a midfield since Diego took over and our strength was our individual offensive weapons making something out of nothing so simply put we were not a TEAM.

Hopefully a new good solid coach takes over and picks the right personnel and the right group of guys that can take this team to another level. You all thought Riquelme needed help in 2006? well Messi did as well in 2010 and the problem continues with Argentine football in building a whole team around 1 specific player this is exactly the outcome yet again.

Lets hope Diego resigns and someone legit takes over. Keep praying guys

13. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    that pretty much sums it up - well said.

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Romero was not ready to start in a WC-winning team. Demichelis had a superb match against Germany, I would put him ahead of Burdiso. And Milito over Higuain, who choked big time.

15. King Aguero

King Aguero New Member

May 22, 2008

Demichelis was arguebly our worst defender right after Otamendi he was out of position all game long what part of superb are u talkin about? he was terrible.

16. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's all I am hoping for.

17. Chocolate Bunny

Jun 13, 2006
    No va renunciar .... este silencio de los ultimos dias es de mal aguero... si de veras quisiera renunciar ya lo hubiera hecho como los otros entrenadores de las demas selecciones que fracasarons

Probablemente ya cambio su mente y con su superinflado ego y la cohorte de cipayos que lo rodean, Dieguito ya decidio que el desastre del mundial no le toca y que ahora tiene que redimirse en el 2014

Se acabo, una de las mejores generaciones de futbolistas argentinos arruinada por un loco prepotente .... pobre Messi, gracias a Dieguito querido va a morir virgen de copas mundiales :eek:

18. Mariella

Mariella Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Southern California
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I just had a terrible dream that we lost 6-0 to Ireland :(

Im scared guys

19. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't worry Marielita (can I call you Marielita?) I think that regardless of who's coaching we'll win the Sur Americana, since we are hosting it, its only expected. Hopefully, Diego will be out by the time Brazil 2014 comes around and I think our boys will do better than at this World Cup (maybe even get to the semi-final :)). I don't think there's any way to stop the Brazilians then but since every single brazilian will be cheering against us, I am hoping a "Us vs. them" mentality will settle in the next team. With a Messi and Higuain fully fully in their prime and a stronger defensive unit and a solid middle behind them, anything can happen. Regardless, we should never ever lose to Ireland 6-0,...ever.

20. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just want to keep a little perspective here. Diego placed higher than any other DT since 1990. Higher than Pekerman (iirc placed 6th or 7th), Bielsa, Passarella and Basile.

Let's not forget that he also didn't have people next to him that he really wanted. Mancuso, Lemme and Enrique were never Diego's first choices. And while Mancuso, was kept on by Diego because of his friendship and loyalty, he was still never Diego's first choice.

I believe that Diego wanted either Batista, Ruggeri, Brown or Turco Mohammed.

21. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, perspective. From my perspective our team didn't even showed up against Germany. We were simply not ready, they were. And that is mainly the responsibility of the coach. Now I am not saying the whole World Cup was a failure, he made some right decisions during this World Cup and I give them credit for them (like finding a way to play Messi) but for this game, he was poop. We were completely out coached. Decisions like living Zanetti and Cambiasso out of the team came back to bite us in the ass, just look at Otamendi. Where was Veron? Why did he even bring Veron we all new he wasn't the answer. I believe Diego had his chance, he should go coach a team and "earn" himself another chance if that's what he wants, but his turn should be over. That said, whoever is coaching I will support and hope to win the Copa Sur Americana in 2010. I am just hoping its not Diego for the good of the team.

22. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    P.S.: FIFA's ratings are like having Garce in the squad of 23, completely useless.

23. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    who cares what place we came in?

passarella lost because of a peice of magic from bergkamp.

pekerman lost on penalties to the host.

maradona was completely embarrassed 4-0. he also lost 6-1 to bolivia and 3-1 at home to brazil.

i can't understand how there can be any defense for him or anyone involved in offering him an extension

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pasarella lost because of bergkamp super goal + Ortega stupid act
    when you scored an own goal or earned a red late in the game, you naturally giving big momentum to your enemy.

Pekerman side could have done much better if he didnt sub Riquelme & Crespo or at least put Messi, Saviola or Aimar as replacement.

You mentioned those big losses but you didnt mention Basile big lost to Brazil twice 3-0 (copa final & friendly), Pekerman lost in Confederation final 4-1 to Brazil. Marcelo Bielsa side was booted at world cup group stage.

25. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    first of all, i never wanted pekerman to continue. he had his chance and obviously blew it.

now diego has had his and made equally stupid acts like not playing samuel and leaving zanetti, cambiasso, banega, and gago all at home.

basile got routed by brazil we no that. Trust me here, I don't think Basile was/is the answer, but you cannot deny that he called up the best players. the most deserving players were 99% of the time called into the side.

Remember, it was Basile who gave Di Maria is first team debut, not Maradona (although Diego will take credit)

It was Basile who first called up Romero (although he didn't play)

He gave Aguero his debut

He gave Gago his debut

It was Basile who recalled Zanetti after that idiiot Pekerman left him at home

Basile actually called people like Banega, Sosa, Zabaleta and others into the US tour in 2008 when we played the US and Mexico (some how Diego has failed to play any of them)

Basile, for all his faults, actually called the best players, did a good job of incorporating the youngsters from successful youth players into the senior side and mixing them with the senior players.