Argentina vs Ecuador , World Cup 2018 qualifier , last game!

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Rattlehead, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    You make some decent points but you are wrong about sampaoli. The team is generating danger in a way bauzas team never did. You can see a lot of triangulation in passing which is Sampas trademark. Games vs Venezuela and peru could have easily finished with a blowout if we scored the first goal. I understand some people hate him and others need a scapegoat but there is no denying the improvements.

By the way, what's the point of being an argentina fan if you have so little faith in the team? Last thing we need is more pessimism.

Rattlehead, cigar_city and SupaMario repped this.
  2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I remember when we beat Peru in 2010 qualifier, when Palermo scored in last minute, I cant see anything on the screen but storm.

cigar_city repped this.
  3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bajando un cambio

Pretty much how I picture RiverGaucho in real life :D

jaimito11, SupaMario and cigar_city repped this.
  4. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Diego was on his knees celebrating in the pouring rain, it was like a scene from Blade Runner

locoxriver, Rattlehead and cigar_city repped this.
  5. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    I hate to sound like - to use an American term - a Pu55y, but I may not watch this game.

I may go to the gym, thorow around some lead, partake in an extended treadmill session, therafter run some ********1ng errands and finally get home around 2.5 hours after the game starts. I'll of course have recorded it, but I'll check the score - if we lost, I'll start getting hammered and come on here blathering as if I'd snarled up a kilo of "devil's dandruff" (probably Peruvian, in honor of their games unexpectedly fu(king up the Albicelste numbers this qualification period). Will do the same if we win, but obviously more of a feel-good vibe, with a nice bottle or four of various malbecs, bonardas & cabs Argentinos.

But I don't know if I can sit through and suffer through this one live.I was 2 years old last time Argentina were not in a world cup, and to have watched the devolution/regression of this squad from 2014 to the present has been particularly tough. Sat through several finals in that time, recall enjoying three, the rest bad/painful, but - those are finals. This is crashing on the warm up lap type stuff. this is your team on cusp of relegation with no real istic expectation that they will go back up anytime soon. But worse. Entirely distinct stress and (potential) live action, guttural despondence for this match

Too old for this stress, despite the fact i don't look my age and certainly don't act it with alarming frequency. But - this will be demasiado duro viewing.

Anyone else planning to do something this wuss-ish/********-ish?

SupaMario repped this.
  6. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I live in England so it will be 12.30am when the gane kicks off. I inow i wont be able to sleep so will check the score on my phone and visit this board.

7. Progott

Progott Member

Nov 3, 2007
    i don't have a good feeling about this game.
    Only positive for me is that ecquador is already out and they may not play theire best...

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

There isn't too much in this world that bothers me. I do not care one bit about politics. I believe the people who bitch and moan about politics need to find something better to do in their lives. My life has never changed because

If my business has a little bit of a snafu, I know it will be taken care of and it will be business as usual. I've always been calm cool and collected and always tell me to So, that doesn't bother me.

But you know, when it comes to sports, that's my trigger. I cannot watch sports with friends or people around me anymore. I will tend to snap and be callous towards the people around me when they try to give advice on how a game should be happening. You didn't want to see me after the GGG-Canelo fight, I was livid and I am not even THAT big of a boxing fan. I went on a long rant about the corruption and how they favored the Mexican.

When it comes down to the seleccion, when we lose in a final, I will sulk in my room and will likely be typing my feelings on B.S. then and I will go out. At this point, my family and friends will know not to say anything about the match.

I wish I could hop into a DeLorean, hit 88MPH and go a day earlier to see the score so I don't have to sit and worry about this upcoming match. It does feel like a final and the pressure will be on. For the fourth straight summer, we will see if the seleccion will bring us joy or give us another heartache.

I don't think we will miss out. I think we will get a victory and get a ticket. So, I cannot miss the match, it is something I have to sit through and deal with it. There is far too much on the line for us not to be at Russia.

jaimito11, cigar_city and Rattlehead repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #34 Rattlehead, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    If we fail to qualify, I'd certainly skip watching the WC altogether for the first time in my life. I still watch the WC when Argentina lost in the tournament, they still ususally delivers some great goals & I always cherish those moments. I also a realistic person, there's only one winner so there's a bigger chance we might not win it unless we play well.

However , if they fail to get there then I'd spend next june-july listening to even more music , reading books and playing video game. I dont think 'd go to the gym since people there will certainly talk about the WC . Good thing Im not playing football anymore since 2013 and most of my close buddy now arent a football fans.

As SM said, I dont think we would fail. Even if we fail to win, somehow we''ll probably have another result favoring us to be in playoff spot miraculously.

SupaMario repped this.
  10. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Today's lineup in training

Attached Files:

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bad line up, but since we havent conceided goal much under Sampa and has yet to lose a single match... as SM said... all I care is seeing them finally scores and that's all! just do me a favor and score for once! they can park the bus with Messi turning into DMF for all I care... just scores and win it!

Even under Diego we won narrowly in last 2 games and qualified, the goalscorer was Palermo and I dont even remember who scored in that last game against Uruguay but we did score. In this kind of situation, I dont think it still matter if Biglia is replaced by someone else. We dont have time to fix things and make drastic improvement in all sudden.

12. jaimito11

jaimito11 Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Why Benedetto? Play Messi as striker and Dybala in Messi's position if they are too "similar!" Also, drop Biglia and play Di Maria as a sub in last 30 minutes. And please get Icardi in if he's fit at some point!

Is there some agreement at AFA that Argentina must play every match with some kind of tangible disadvantage?

13. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Why is this a bad lineup? Its an attacking force with 3 CBs to protect the back. Rigoni as a cutter behind Messi and Di Maria as a cutter behind Gomez.

Things dont go well, Sampaoli can sub one of his DMs for an offensive midfielder or take out Gomez for Dybala. I think this lineup gives him options for plan B.

My only problem is none of the back 3 can make plays from deep, therefore id rather see Pezzella instead of Fazio

cigar_city repped this.
  14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Based on goal difference, I think we're mathematically can even qualify automatically without securing a win. Goal difference would be second criteria of tiebreaker instead of number of goal scored.

If Chile lose by 2 goals (very possible) , Peru lost (even only by single goal) and if Paraguay fail to beat Venezuela, we would be ahead of Peru and Chile on goal difference and ahead of Paraguay on points.

Basically if Chile lose by 2 goals, we will at least secure 5th spot with a draw , regardless Peru vs Colombia outcome. The first game would be Chile vs Brazil so hopefully result will favor us. Brazil players already said they'd looking for a win as usual and continuing their good form. Add the fact Chile the only team that beat them in this qualifier.

All that by assuming we continue to suck and nothing improve and things stays the same as previous 3 games and we couldnt get a goal and 3 points.

cigar_city repped this.
  15. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We can qualify even with a loss. That would be something, wouldn't it?

As if this situation wasn't shameful enough...

cigar_city and locoxriver repped this.
  16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Chile and Peru aren't very good. The only reason they're ahead of us is that FIFA gave Peru 3 points when in fact they lost in La Paz and gave Chile 2 points when they drew Bolivia.

Colombia has been pretty terrible in the last few games, they've continued to give up points and to nobodies surprise fail to close out games under Pekerman.

Ecuador will be playing with more or less a very domestic side. Antonio Valencia is out and overall we should get a victory. Ecuador has been quite poor, a side that has lost 5 in a row. If we do NOT manage to get a victort then, I guess we don't deserve to go. We've been VERY unlucky, we dominated Peru and outside of Benedetto's screw up's, we should've at least had 4 or 5 goals in the back of the net. Papu had a couple chances and Messi as well. That game should've been a blow out.

We just need to find the ball in the back of the net. Once that first goal goes in for us(if it does) then I think we'll get the victory. The longer the games scoreless, the harder it will be for us to get a goal.

As I will continue to say, I don't care about lineups, I just want the game to start. In the words of Bill O'Reilly, "F*** It, We'll do it live!". Enough is enough. Judgement day has come.

cigar_city, locoxriver and Rattlehead repped this.
  17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yea but who cares, we secured 1986 spot with late equalizer . Brazil qualified in 2002 only after beating Venezuela in very last game... they even got hammered by Bolivia 1-3 in previous match. We all know who won those WC. What matter is to qualify first!

Moishe and cigar_city repped this.
  18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Furthermore our worst World Cup appearance (2002) was preceded by literally our best ever (and CONMEBOL record) WCQ campaign.

They say the favorite never wins.

Still, it's hard to imagine our current team doing anything against a serious rival if it is that we qualify to the WC, but at least one can have hope based off of these type of occurrences

Moishe and cigar_city repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, the point is just to qualify first and foremost. Tournament for most of the part, is entirely a different matter. Lots of factor contribute on the outcome of the WC itself. The group draw and then who we face at KO stage, while in qualifier you'd definetely face those same teams that just bunkering all day (even Uruguay) and that makes things more dificult than the tournament itself.

In recent WC, Sabella qualifer performance did carried into the WC. The mental toughness did show in that tournament except when Pipita blew that easy chance. But there's a shade of that 1990 team toughness in that 2014 team.

Diego team in 2010 in comparison, will never be good enough once they face a great opposition. Sampa's team on other hand, he dont have time to really impletement his plan because we;re already in 5th position with few games remaining. The players started these remaining matches already under big preasure knowing they're in must win situation.

If we qualify this time, I can guarentee we will easily qualify to knockout stage in Russia and we will score goals in all group stage matches easier than in qualifier. In WC , South African and Asian team will not sit back and defend for 90 minutes and we have seen that from time to time. Sure there will be a few teams like Greece or Iran who did that but in WC , most team will also look for a goal. South Korea, Mexico, Belgium, Switzerland, Serbia, Ivory Coast and Nigeria, all tried to score against Argentina.

20. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sampolis touch line antics remained me of bielsa in 2002 WC , both were continuously walking in touch line.

21. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well it is possible to be both a fan and a realist. The way Argentina have played these last 4 games there is no point in being falsely optimistic. With that being said, nothing would make me happier than a Argentina win tonight. Then we start from scratch again and can all dream of glory in Russia for the next 9 months.

Leon12 and Rattlehead repped this.
  22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You may want to change from that skirt and throw on your big boy pants,

[​IMG]

pregra repped this.
  23. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Somebody tell me , why bendetto favored to start again tomorow..? what happened to icardi or dybala..?

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wonder if Dybala pissing off Messi with his recent comment.. or he made his recent comment because Messi said similar thing to him prior to that. We all know Messi isnt someone who will say something publicly but we also know he demand the system to accomodate his high standard.

You cant find pic of Messi and Dybala together having a good time in training, unlike Kun and Messi. This seems to be like Tevez-Messi cold friendship all over again.Hopefully I'd be proven wrong completely on this one.

As for Icardi, he might be carrying an injury and Sampa prefer someone who's 100% fit rather than risking someone who'd get injured early in the game? who knows, but I hope that would be the case, not because he dislike him.

25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    These last few generation of Argentine players definetely lacking the mental toughness and easily folded under preasure. Its something that every other team could see in Argentina NT which is why they'd contain to sit back and doing the same stuff knowing we will get frustrated and folded.

The treatment that they got on the pitch is way better than what players back in the day would get. Back then it'd takes like 5-7 fouls before one player would get a red. Diego played with swollen ankle throughout 90 World cup and didnt complain, he carried on and even playing mindgames before the match against Italy which proof to be working as you could see in the shootout.

Blood and shirt being torn apart, they kept carry on. Di Maria would have losses his mind if this happen to him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cigar_city repped this.