ARGENTINA vs. ECUADOR /Buenos Aires / sábado 02.06.2012 / 19.30

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by barcelonista1981, May 12, 2012.

1. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    What?!?! Awesome I didn't know it can tune in to Ecua radio stations. What radio stations do you guys recommend to get Ecua sports news in the Tune-In app? Thanks

With Bauza or Fosatti we would finally be using 3-5-2 or something similar which I think the NT would do much better than 4-4-2. It would have been awesome to watch the NT under those two coaches.

2. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    So many articles with Aguero quotes. Hopefuly Valencia teaches him something during this game.

3. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    whats he saying ?

4. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He said that we will play for the draw and some other things I can't remember. Check futbolecuador.

5. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    looks like we're playing with a 4-5-1 formation. Most likely Benitez as the lone striker. I'm guessing we're playing with this now:

Dominguez; Achilier, Campos, Erazo, W.Ayovi; Valencia, Noboa, Saritama, Castillo, Montero; Benitez

6. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    just curious on why saritama is still being called up? I have no idea I really want to know does he beast at club level?

7. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's been a long time off these boards but glad to be back. Argentina (my team) vs Ecuador (my country) always gives me chills, but as usual gotta back up la tri in this match. 4 years ago, we were seconds away from the unthinkable and pulling out the 3 points in Argentina, until we gave up the win and settled for the tiein the end. I think the key for Ecua will be to get one past Romero if we want to at least come out with the draw. Im a big Chucho hater just because of how many opportunities he wastes, but if he can actually come through id be willing to forgive and forget the fact i blame HIS MISSES in the past qualifiers for not making it.

Just throwing it out there, but why is Joffre still not getting called up to the NT? And is anyone else here still uncomfortable with Ayovi being our captain?

8. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    how does that work ? just curious .

Yea i still remember that game last year . Urrutia scored a nice goal ..... and then Argentina was given a nice 5mins of injury time . bs .

Thats pretty harsh dont you think? ....... our defense didnt do us any favors . And chucho wasnt the only one not netting goals . Yea he missed chances but its not HIS fault we didnt make the last world cup . [​IMG]

9. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Just a little bit. I dont know if it's just me but im getting the feeling that he doesn't have much gas left in his tank. Anyone agree? I didnt expect him to finish this Qualifier, I always said he'd probably be good til half way and after that we'd have to switch it up. I just dont see a REAL left back that impresses and gets consistent playing time besides Cristian Ramirez (18 year old from Independiente). I almost know for a fact we'll end up improvising someone on that side which doesnt really bother as long as they can adapt to it and perform well. I'm hoping someone like Roosevelt Oyola from Barcelona can be consistent for at least an entire season.

But as far as leadership, I'm calling this one out- Fricson Erazo should be the next captain of the NT. That's someone with leadership skills. You see it from a mile away.

10. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How it works... Well i was a Maradona fan since i was 4, and that ultimately caused me to fall in love with futbol and the Argentina national team. I only started following la tri after the 93 Copa America and obviously being my roots never stopped supporting them. If your asking me to choose, well the only time im ok with Argentina losing its against Ecuador, so yes i guess you can say Ecuador is my #1 followed by Arg as a very close second.

In regards to your defens of Chucho, you are probably right, its not just his fault. Of course not, its always the team as a whole. But i cant help but focus on his blatant misses in huge games (i remember the 0-0 tie vs colombia in Quito as an example). I know its not fair, but i cant help but compare to our past productive strikers- Tin, Kaviedes, Tenorio... But anyways hey, you know how fast you can go from zero to hero very quick, so if he can net one in Argentina, believe me- all will be forgiven.

Ps- i think we know each other lol

11. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    oh alright , i get it . Was just curious. Im kind of similar in a way with regards to rooting for another team thats not Ecuador . I followed the Brazilian NT before La Tri . Didnt even know Ecuador had a team when i was young lol . Started to follow them right before the first world cup and never looked back .

Yea dont get me wrong, chucho scoring goals would have increased our chances of making it to the last WQ.... but still, I dont think he was ready at all to be our go to guy. Him and Felipe Caicedo were kind of rushed to be our guys out of necessity. It really should have been Kaviedes and Tenorio leading the way in a perfect world ( no injuries etc ).

haha yea we do know each other .... after i read your first paragraph i clicked your user name and saw "toronto" ...... it all made sense hahahha .

12. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    yep lol... same issue for me, only after 93 did I know who Aguinaga was. Sad, but since he's left, we haven't been able to produce a true "diez".

Anways here are my predictions for the Ecua games:

Argentina 2-0 Ecuador
    Ecuador 1-0 Colombia

If Ecuador can be on top of their game vs. Argentina, I can see a 1-1 final result being very realistic. Unfortunately, I have a feeling Argentina will come out flying (and the refs will probably side all game with Arg) to try avoid what happened 4 years ago in these qualifers.

My starting lineup against Argentina based on Rueda's 4-5-1 system:

-------------------------Dominguez------------------------

------------------Erazo-------------?????--------------------
    Guagua------------------------------------------------Ayovi
    ----------------------------Mendez---------------------------
    Valencia-----Castillo-----------------Noboa--------Montero

----------------------------Benitez-----------------------------

I have to say, for a game of such importance we need Mendez on the field to start, even if this means subbing him out later on. If anyone on this team should be wearing the arm band, it should probably be him. Valencia should cause tons of issues for the Argentine weak defence on the right, and hopefully open up a lot of room down the middle. Montero could cause the same kinda issues. Looking forward to maybe getting some yellows for Arg due to his running down the flanks. I can picture Benitez having one or two SOLID chances at goal, its time for him to show up and be clutch in this kinda game. How amazing would it be to have Guerron & Arroyo fit and available... I think the keys to this match will be Ecuador's play down the wings vs. Messi and his midfielders play down the middle. Ecuador must clog up that middle and not let them play around too much, I think if we can keep Argentina out wide, it will be our key to success.

13. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    By the way, anyone have recommendations of good places to watch the Ecuador matches in Toronto & New Jersey? In Toronto I've been to various places but noticed that most of em are closed down or no longer show games, only current open places I can think of are Motivos & Tipico Restaurant.. prefer Tipico because it's normally less crowded and you're basically guaranteed a good view of the large screen.

No clue of where to go in the New Jersey area. I ask because for the Ecua vs. Colombia match i'll actually be in NJ. Any feedback is appreciated.

14. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Theres a Mercado Latino at Finch and Milvan that i hear show all the games in the food court . Have never been there for a match but i hear its good .

Ill be at Motivos with a friend ( un argentino ) and some family .

cant help you out with NJ tho .

15. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I respect your opinion, but i think Mendez starting any game at this point in his career is a waste (and i mean in both Liga and the NT). He's the PERFECT substitute player. The best example of that is the game vs. Peru. I'm all for Mendez being on the NT, but I'm against him starting. I feel like he can't offer the NT what he once did for longer than 30 minutes. I'd rather start someone else, even if it's LF Saritama who isn't a favorite of mine at all, and bring Mendez into the picture later in the game depending on the situation we're in.

As far as Valencia, there's certain games where he gets stuck and has trouble attacking. I think this could be one of them, although i hope it's not. BUT he will offer a LOT defensively and the moment he gets space to make his runs, we'll be good. As long as we take advantage of it. Same thing with Benitez. In the past, he's had trouble doing well as a lone striker and has disappeared completely from games- this could be one of them. But since he's been playing as a lone striker in Mexico this past season, i hope learned something.

well anyway, the formation is known as 4-5-1, and according to the ecua press it seems like the line up is the following: (the big unknown being the keeper)
    Dominguez/Banguera; Achilier, Campos, Erazo, W. Ayovi; Valencia, Noboa, Castillo, Saritama, Suarez; Benitez

16. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Can't wait to see Xuxo fall all over the place. BTW, I told my manager I wasn't coming to work even if he scheduled me.

17. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Haha, well done!

18. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Point taken.. Mendez may not be ideal to start, but it's just the experience factor that makes me want to see him start. I can't picture anyone else being able to have that calming presence on Argentina's pitch... But then again, coming off the bench to settle things down wouldn't be a bad idea either.

19. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    futbolecuador.com just posted this as the line up:

Máximo Bangüera; Gabriel Achilier, Jairo Campos, Frickson Erazo y Diego Calderón; Antonio Valencia, Segundo Castillo, Cristhian Noboa, Luis Saritama y Walter Ayoví; Christian Benítez.

if this is the real one MY GOD we are screwed. Diego Calderon is in no way ready to play a game this big with the crap he's been pulling off in Liga. Banguera hasn't played in freakin months while Dominguez is probably the only ecuadorian player in Liga that is getting the job done correctly and has more playing time than any keeper we have. and Walter Ayovi in no way is gonna cause any damage to Argentina as a left wing. Walter doesn't have the speed from before. Rueda is screwing up. 3 big mistakes in that Line up.

I hope we dont end up like Deportivo Quito, playing all defensively and end up getting 6 goals bagged on our net. Not a good look at all.

20. Quilotoa

Quilotoa Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    If that's for real, its unbelievable. Why does Rueda continue to even call-up Saritama? He will get OWNED in Buenos Aires! Too bad I'll be in Buenos Aires the next weekend, I really wanted to go to this game, though with that lineup it could be ugly!

21. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I guess the question is how he is going to utilize Valencia. 4 years ago, Valencia was playing defensive mid and we used Guerron to counterattack down the right wing. If Rueda gives Valencia freedom to stay up and counterattack, that might work because Argentina will need to keep people back. If Valencia is deployed as another defensive midfielder and only Benitez stays up, it's going to be a long night because we are going to have 10 Argentinian players in our 18-yard box the entire game.

We need at least 2 players available to counterattack, if not then this is a ridiculous strategy.

22. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    4 years ago there was a coach with a brain that knew how to utlize his players. Valencia won't play defensive mid this game, but i think he's gonna be helping with recovery and defending a lot more than usual. I don't think Achilier and (especially not Diego Calderon) will be able to stop Messi and Aguero on their own. Valencia and Walter Ayovi will most likely be pulling back a lot to mark. And I think (or at least hope) Erazo and Campos can handle Higuain. Rueda MUST have a fast left winger. That's a freakin MUST. We are so much less intimidating with freakin Walter Ayovi as a left winger. Walter Ayovi won't defend AND break away like Jeff Montero or Cristian Suarez. Stupid Rueda!! Walter Ayovi has to play as a left back. I hope i don't end up hating Diego Calderon after this game, that dudes already got me irrated the way he's playing this season in Liga.

23. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I can't believe that Jeff Montero won't start. Right now, in my opinion, he is on another level compare to any left winger we have. He is fast and has learned how to play defense. Also he can take on two players at a time compare to Suarez and for sure Ayovi. That left side will get owned by Argentina. Ayovi sucked this past year and in the playoffs in the MX league he was TERRIBLE!

24. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I wouldn't trust futbol ecuador, I still have some faith to see a better lineup.

25. EmarosaNYC

EmarosaNYC Member

Nov 1, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end; can't wait for this match