Argentina vs Colombia Copa America 2021 Semi-Final: (July 6th)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Jul 3, 2021.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We are playing with house money.
    It would be so nice to be the team that keeps Messi from winning something.

!Vamos Colombia!

Furnaccio and kromekote repped this.
  2. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Looking forward to the match.. Very disappointed by Muriel's match. So that's an easy sub for Cuadrado. Tesillo, is such a liability and doesnt quite know what to do with the ball. At this point, I know Rueda has to keep him but expect every attack to be on his flank.

Other than that, the MF of Barrios and Cuellar are just what this team needed for balance.

Doogs, Azucarero, ryu79 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So what can we take away from this match since the last time we faced them?

At home we made 2 stupid mistakes ironically just as Ecuador did today which naturally cost them as Argentina calmly took full advantage and exploited them.

Now arguably in this Copa Argentina has been in proper form compared to US.

The challenge here that either team faces is nerves; Argentina knows that we are not pushover and them getting to the finals puts a lot of pressure on them especially since Messi has lost 4 finals in a tournament which 3 was from a Copa America.

I say that in order for us to win our players need to keep that consistent mindset that they had against Uruguay today where they push and make Argentina play carefully against us. I do legitimately think that we can make the finals so long as we don't play as passively even if we score early and we don't make stupid mistakes.

Cuadrado is well rested deservedly not having played for over two weeks by the time we face Argentina. No traveling required AND we've had more rest time compared to Argentina so physical-wise we should be significantly less fatigue than them.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I just hope we do not go out there with three defensive midfielders like that Barranquilla match.
    I don't know if we should go with 4 strikers like tonight either mind you, but I guess of the two options I rather we go out swinging.

Gotta believe Borja is in their heads so maybe he should get a start in the rotation this time over Duvan who just does not have it this summer.

5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hope Borre keeps his starting spot and we sit Muriel with him coming off the bench.

minus, kromekote and Azucarero repped this.
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he sits for Cuadrado but Rueda seems to keep on surprising us with new ideas.

To me Santos Borre played well in the first half but then played really sloppy the second half. Not sure I want him playing that position again against a team like Argentina.

7. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Would you keep Muriel on though? The guy has been a non-entity this tournament.

8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agreed on most counts though I'm very torn what to do with Muriel. If he goes to the bench he must sub in. As much as Borre has been great pressing and supporting in midfield, he hasn't really made the opposing defenses uncomfortable either and when Luis Fernando gets a head of steam going...

I just really want us to come out and play to win. I'd go:

----------------- Ospina ---------------------
    Munoz - Mina - Sanchez - Fabra
    ---------- Barrios - Cuellar -------------
    C4 ------------------------------------- Diaz
    ------------ Borré - Duvan --------------

I can't imagine what Frank is doing in practice that he can't get in this team with how much space the opposition is gifting Tesillo. Good on Diaz for making the adjustment and attacking that space today against Uruguay - if we had a solid LB we would have been so much more dangerous today...

Furnaccio repped this.
  9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Díaz showed a lot of confidence today with the ball the way JC used to in 2012 when earning his stripes.

I like borre as a starter bc he brings physicality and looks for ways to distribute the ball.

Muriel, off the bench, simply plays harder in my eyes and with penalties as a possibility I would prefer him as a penalty taker given his track record, bc as I’ve said - he will never play 90 minutes.

I said same thing about Fabra/Tesillo - I don’t get it.

Cuellar and Barrios are looking good together. Uribe and Lerma (and cAntillo too??) have their work cut out for them but that is the kind of healthy competition we will need over the next two years. All things considered, I won’t cringe if uribe, Cuellar, or Lerma start next to Barrios in the future. Barrios is on his way to 120 caps when it’s all said and done.

Duvan needs to keep doing what he’s doing. He is itching for a goal and he just needs to keep taking shots.

Mina needs to keep his head on straight for next few days. Played solid today but mentally he has to focus on sticking it to Messi who apparently gave him a hard time while at Barca.

No margin of error on Tuesday is allowed

kromekote, Azucarero and ryu79 repped this.
  10. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Not sure about this, mate. Except for Messi (who willingly plays every match he can for both club and country) Argentina is actually well rested since vs Bolivia the coach fielded an entire team of substitutes and he had also rotated a bit in the game vs Paraguay before that.

11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We all want Fabra who has 0 minutes …

he isn’t benching Tesillo

I want Cuadrado benched but he won’t. The team yesterday finally played like a team. Best they have played in the 7 games under Rueda. They didn’t abs couldn’t score but at least we had a mf.

I really hope Zapata finally scores gets that shit off his chest then takes a huge shot on Argentina and then Brazil.

I like most of you keep waiting for that magical moment where Duvan and Muriel play like they are wearing Atalanta jerseys.

as much as I hate Argentina and want us to win. Would make me way way to hopeful that we could have a chance and beat Brazil :)

beating Brazil in Brazil with Neymar crying would be incredible :)

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would still start Muriel because he is probably our best option for taking FKs directly on goal.
    Although he was pretty bad at that yesterday we have seen him score golazos at Atalanta.

13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Borre's job wasn't to score goal or torment defenders, it was to apply pressure and provide defensive cover which he excelled at. He did great at the role he was assigned to.

but that is the formation I would use, just give it a shot. I think the argie's will be by far our toughest opponent in the whole tournament. Even more so than Brazil.

14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was going off the game in first round he started, but hopefully he has his sea legs now.

Doogs repped this.
  15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    was that Peru? I forgot already

16. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Me too. I just checked and it was against Ecuador. Actually he started with Borja that game. So maybe the combo with Duvan would yield something new.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is like Bizarro World for me to read this.

If you would have said this in April / May I would be agreeing with you that he should be benched.
    After the way he played during Qualifiers though I just cannot bench him. In my opinion he was our best against Argentina and one of the main reasons we did not lose a match we probably should have lost.

To me Cuadrado has to start again against Argentina just based on that alone.

I think the team played well yesterday more due to the opponent and maybe their manager getting thrown for a loop by our tactics and formation.
    We do not have that element of surprise anymore if we just trot out those same guys. Argentina are masters of analyzing tape and would see the weaknesses.

This is why I am very excited about Tuesday. I think Rueda will give Argentina (and all of us) yet another surprise. I just have a feeling he is going to show them something they have not seen.
    What it is remains to be seen but I think it will be something new.

kromekote and Froboy69 repped this.
  18. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You know I keep thinking back to when we faced Chile in 2016 and how we cost ourselves a spot in the finals due to our typical stupid game costing mistakes.

I do wonder how the players think about the chance for us to play in the final agai. For the first time in 20 years. There has to be emotion there in them.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't remind me.

I was there at Soldier Field.

20. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ouch...I remember me and Jmezzy attended the ones against the USA and Paraguay.

21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    The players are gaining confidence and Rueda is getting results. Tactically our NT has a lot of order and discipline in their defensive shape (off the ball). We were lacking this before. Cuadrado will force the Argentinians to add some caution in MF. If on the other flank we have Diaz and if we have Cuellar stringing the 2 together, that makes for a solid MF. Upfront, Rueda knows Argentina's defense is absolutely vulnerable. Good game and kind of playing with house money at this point.

22. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

So looking back at the game we did not put enough pressure with their players since they had soo much freedom to actually move about. Mind you we were tight before we went down 0-2 but there were too many moments where they could have capitalized on any chances that they had.

Thankfully the defenders and Ospina did step up and didn't let anything else in but I wonder how we can compress Argentina's players from properly flowing to our final third in order to hinder their attack properly. Stalking and covering certain players like Messi will restrict us unless we capitalize on counterattacks and actually make them count.

23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Game details:

Date: Tuesday July 6, 2021

Kickoff Time: 9:00 PM EST

Channels: TUDN, Fox Sports 1, FS1, Caracol TV Canal 1

IMG_9653.jpg

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For some reason Diaz reminds me of Dave Chappelle's Prince sketch in that picture.

25. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah I guess I kinda see it. The white people can't dance one is my favorite, always leaves me dead