Argentina v Peru, WCQ, 10-5-2017

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by SupaMario, Oct 5, 2017.

1. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

I had horrible streams, so I could not watch the game at all. Nugo posted Messi highlights in like 10 minutes after the game, so this is what I see.....gosh, those chances --- header by Benedetto, Papu from 4 feet out, and Rigoni from 6 feet out......how could we miss all 3 of those chances?????!?!?!?!?

I can't believe it.

Right now, have to play Icardi and Dybala. We need finishers...even though Messi should have scored the shot that hit the post. Those are hard to control, but come on, he should have finished it.

From what little I could make out, it seems like Mascherano had a monster game. Messi was ok/good. The rest were horrendous.

Di Maria awful, Banega awful, Papu awful.

Rigoni -- ok.

Enzo Perez --- nothing much to write about. I am not sure who we should play in the midfield, except Paredes.

Also, Messi --- stop taking freekicks! Give them to Dybala.

2. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Sampaoli has to shoulder the blame for his disastrous subs. Against Uruguay, Venezuela, and today Peru!!! WTF was he thinking?

First of all, if he was seriously considering partnerships that work, Di Maria would have never even started the match. Then he calls up a guy whos barely capped (Rigoni) and plays him in a must win nerve wrecking game. I like Rigoni but a 21 year old getting a debut in this situation is the dumpest move I have ever seen. Now lets move on to Gago. The guy is as talented as it gets but couldn't have a good career because of injuries so why on earth is he called up and subbed in?

Tactically, when a team sits back and invites you to shoot on goal because their defenders will not leave their 18-yard line, you need midfielders that can shoot not box-to-box cutters (Perez). Paredes is the only really good shot taker on your roster and hes doing what sitting on the bench exactly?

Honestly, Sampaoli was coaching like a rookie two games in a row and there are no explanations for the above assertions. He needs to get his act together and coach logically so we can at least have a chance against Ecuador.

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well yea... we're most likely going to qualify automatically because Brazil wont let Chile win at their home and Peru can still qualify so wont be easy for Colombia to get 3 points. But I'm just saying its still possible that we need a play off even if we win. But Paraguay result certainly giving us a chance to still qualify.

If all this trainwreck isnt shocking enough, we can actually still finish 3rd place :laugh:

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi hit the goalpost 3 times in one game for Barcelona eariler this season and he also hit the post few weeks ago but still scored twice at the end because he's being fed all day by good passes.

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    BTW, Ecuador is not a push over. I don't think they're going to bend over and let us win.Remember, they beat us at home during the kick-off of the qualifiers. Even though their chances went away today, they'll still be tough. We haven't won in Ecuador since the 02 qualifiers.

6. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  7. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I think we only won in Ecuador in 2001, and before that in 1960.

We just don't normally win in Ecuador.

8. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give them to a guy on the bench?

9. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We can only do that if we actually manage to win, that doesn't look very likeky at the moment. But at least we still hsve a chance.

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Okay, the reason why Peru is ahead of us is that they have scored more goals. GD is the same. So, I guess, if we manage to lose 1-0 in Ecuador and if Colombia beats Peru by 2+ goals, we'll go to the 5th spot, that is even with a win for Paraguay. Yes, I know, it sounds pathetic that it has come down to this. But as the old saying goes, beggars can't be choosers.

cigar_city and locoxriver repped this.
  11. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I think if Paraguay wins, they will be on 27, and we will then be on 25. Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Uruguay, and Paraguay will still be ahead of us. We would be out.

12. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Not in this game....but in general.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The Rigoni tap in was actually a great sliding block from the defender. Was supposed to be a corner.

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, you are correct. We'd need Paraguay to draw.

15. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Sampaoli; “Qualification still depend on us. We didn’t beat our rivals in the scoreboard but we did in development of play.”

Sampaoli: “Argentina dominated in the other team’s opposing field. I still have hope.”

Sampaoli: “To me, we played a magnificent match.”

Sampaoli: “I am upset about the result. But I am really looking forward to the future.”

Sampaoli: “If we play like we play today. We will beat Ecuador.”

Sampaoli: “The team is upset but they know that the World Cup will be found in Ecuador.”

Sampaoli: “You can’t ask anything more from Messi. He shot, he set up players, he made passes from impossible angles.”

16. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SupaMario repped this.
  17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is how we did it in 2010, it seems that we can only hope from that kind of goal to win the game. The play in final third has been non existent after 2016 Copa.

[​IMG]

18. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Well, we just have not finished against Venezuela and Peru. We had 4 glorious, absolutely glorious chances, today.

That is a lot against a team that had 8 men behind the ball.

jaimito11 repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True, one of the best chance of his game was Mascherano long range.

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Team after team decides to sit back and park the bus. It does not matter if it's at home or away. We haven't had one chance to counter. We are forced to break down teams. Sampa was correct by saying the qualifiers are more difficult than the tournament itself.

We've had our chances, everybody, from Icardi, Dybala, Messi, Benedetto (I am going to find a nickname for him as well. He'll be joining an exclusive group) and so on, we haven't been able to be clinical. Sure, we've been unlucky, especially Messi tonight, we had 2 chances that were goalbound but it wasn't meant to be.

Messi busted his ass today, so did Masche and the rest of our defenders. Messi did over-dribble though at times though, which was a bit frustrating. But perhaps he to find something that would've broken down Peru. Papu Gomez had a couple moments and he blew them. His ass can go to the bench. ADM was rightfully subbed and his ass can stay on the bench as well. Banega was terrible, what a shocker... seriously what a shocker... Sampa second-guessing himself to use Biglia instead of Paredes bit him in the ass tonight in many ways. If you're so much in love with Biglia, start him with Paredes, you know Gago is out now... Sampa needed to have a pair of balls today and played with courage rather than playing Biglia and Banega.

Now, I hope Messi, Masche and those who gave something today just rest. They'll have a long journey to Ecuador. If there was a silver lining for today was that Dybala and Icardi should be well rested.

Okay, I am going to go on my run and then heading out to clear my head. But I am sure I'll be back around 2 or 3 in the morning ranting and raving about something, not as bad as RiverGaucho, but you know.

locoxriver, afar, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  21. jaimito11

jaimito11 Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Yep. All teams have been playing us for draws, and their goalies turn into Lev Yashin against us. We need a little luck and just haven't had it.

It's a shame Ecuador is mathematically eliminated IMO. If they had a chance but required a win they would have to go for it which would open up the game for us. I'm hoping they play for a win anyway but it seems in South America only Brazil does that and Bolivia when they're at home.

Burr repped this.
  22. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ecuador is out of it anyway so why would they park the bus? It's not like they have anything to lose. Who knows, they might want to entertain their home fans and make a game of it.

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Venezuela parked the bus recently despite already out.

24. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    How bad is it playing in Ecuador at that elevation?

Not as bad as Bolivia, right?

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ecuador have not been unbeatable as in the past at home. But they still have fast players that can counter. Today Peru basically posed no counter threat.