Argentina v Germany [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by nsa, Sep 26, 2003.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany (2-0-0, 6 pts., +6 GD) plays Argentina (0-0-2, 0 pts., -9 GD) in match 20 at RFK in DC at 3:30 PM. Germany is already guaranteed a quarterfinal berth in Group C. With a win or draw against Argentina, Germany has first.

Germany is heavily favoured, but will rest a few players in anticipation of the quarters. Even with a loss Germany holds the edge over their rivals Japan and Canada due to goal diff.

2. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT Germany 6 Argentina 1

Wow! What a surprise. :rolleyes:

Germany wins Group C while Argentina had already booked themselves out of the tournament.

1. Germany 9 pts, +11, 13 goals
    2. Canada 6 pts, +2, 7 goals
    3. Japan 3 pts, +1, 7 goals
    4. Argentina 0 pts, -14, 1 goal

4. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Watched some of this when I got home. Argentina didn't seem too bad with the ball. They looked better on the attack than Ghana. But they looked like they were unexpecting Germany to take the ball away from them after their little runs. Anyway, love the story about what the Argentines did when they first came to RFK for practice.

5. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    In the 20-25th minute, Sandra Minnert threw the ball in, and was whistled - I think for an illegal throw-in.

I didn't see it at the game. When I came home, I couldn't see anything on the tape, either.

Seems the ball is behind the head, both feet down. Perhaps she stepped over the line.

Anyone with an opinion?

6. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Steffi Jones got hurt. Looked bad live - worse on the replay.

Looks like the ACL. No contact and the way the knee buckled and she went down. Immediately subbed for - she was limping very gingerly off directly to the locker room - after having limped an extra 100 yards to the bench and back.

This could have very serious impact to Germany's chances for the championship.

ESPN reported the lineup to be the following:
    Rottenberg

Hingst Minnert
    Stegemann Gottschlich

Jones
    Wiegmann
    Garefrekes Lingor
    Meinert

Prinz

That is not how I saw it. Other than Wiegmann who could be considered more offensive, I would say that the lineup was the following:
    Rottenberg

Hingst Jones
    Stegemann Minnert

Lingor Wiegmann
    Garefrekes Gottschlich
    Meinert

Prinz

If anyone sees how Steff is doing, please post the link. She'll always be a Washington Freedom player to me.

7. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
  8. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Regarding the lineup:

Germany started game 1 with Rottenberg - Stegemann, Minnert, Hingst, Bresonik - Jones, Wiegmann - Lingor, Meinert, Gottschlich - Prinz

Game 2 was changed as Bresonik (meanwhile returned to Germany as far as I know) was replaced by Garefrekes. Jones returned to the central defence, Minnert was moved to left backer, Gottschlich played Jones' part and Garefrekes the offence part from Gottschlich.

This lineup was kept also for yesterday. Jones being out is bad, but should be compensated as she had some problems to find into the team after he comeback and did not belong to the top performers. I think Nia Künzer will play instead of her, either in the central defence or as left backer (Sonja Fuss is another option for this position), moving Minnert back to central defence.

9. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I am surprised that you didn't see her as one of the top performers. She was critical for the Washington Freedom WUSA championship success. As far as her comeback (and Meinert's), those players still upset about this need to examine their goals versus the teams goal and get over it. Steffi has been a class player and team mate for the past 2 years for the Freedom and I can't imagine that she wasn't a positive contributor for Germany.

The defense looked suspectible to fast 1-touch ground attack. Without Jones, may open holes in the air attack. However this is based on just seeing the ARG game - which could just be an abberation.

Thanks for the info on the preceeding games. They haven't been on my cable channels (so I could tape) and I was at other games.

10. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    So far Germany is reduced to 18. Linda Bresonik out with a thigh injury, Steffi Jones with ACL :( .
    Hopefully they can be replaced.

12. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm afraid not - once the tournament starts, no replacements are allowed, injuries or not.

13. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    Yes, I know. I meant replaced by one player of the 18 left. So that another player steps up in the defense.

14. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even without Jones and Bresonik Germany has enough talent to beat any team in the tournament, but I think the loss of those two players could be critical if they play the US in the semis (which looks likely I think).

Looks like it will be China against Germany in the 1/4 finals, I think Germany will still win that. Too much class and strength.

15. Libero6

Libero6 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed that story, where is it?

As for Argentina's play, it was to be expected. The team didn't come together til the Pan Am games due to the Argentine Federation suffering from the country's economic situation. With heightened support of their domestic league so that the team isn't made up of just boca and river players, these girls should make huge improvements by the Olympics. Romina Ferro, Noelia Lopez, Mariella Medina, and a few others showed real promise.