Argentina to host 2011 Copa America

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by MUTINYFAN, Jul 15, 2007.

1. krejik

krejik New Member

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Greetings, please, do you know whether the official logo of Copa America 2011 has already been shown?

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't think that they have come up with one yet.

Welcome to bigsoccer.

3. CiudadanoDelMundo

Mexico
    Jul 23, 2008
    Mexico City
    Personally I don't care where it's at, I just love watching it!

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  5. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR-flMcrtu8"]YouTube - Goles de Paraguay en la Copa America 99[/ame]

The last time Japan went.

6. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    la ultima y la unica vez que participaron, pero gracias a PAPA BLATTER, PAPA GRONDONA y PAPA LEOZ veremos a los ponjas de nuevo....

en todo caso mexico, japon, portugal, espana, eeuu y uno mas que seria facil o italia, francia o alemania o inglaterra u holanda de ahi deben de salir los 16 equipos para la copa america

7. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why 16? They'll be 12 as usual. If they wanted 16 then probably they should look at FIFA's ranking and pick the top 6 of CONCACAF. Today those would be: United States, Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama and Trinidad & Tobago. That would make more sense if you are going to invite anyone, but Japan??? Will they care even?

8. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I have always wanted a merger of Gold Cup and Copa America. 10 Conmebol teams and 6 from concacaf. All of the NA teams would care about playing in this. Keep the name Copa America.This adds just enough teams to hopefully challenge the Brazil-Argentina dominance. SA doesn't really seem to like the rotation system so just let countries bid.

9. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    I can see why Mexico is in this but were did Japan come from?

10. Piffy187

Piffy187 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    FL
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mexico does good in the copa america and everythin we friends n s**t n all that other s**t but i think conmebol should invite another 2...just another 2 no need to extend to 16 or more just 2 other teams cuz mexico and usa or japan get boring to watch everytime..maybe try inviting an african team or a european team if the big ones like spain,italy,portugal,or england dont want to come than they could probably get teams like ukraine,denmark,belgium,ireland, u get the idea.

11. Sinestro

Sinestro New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Japan has good relations with SA especially Brazil.

12. Sinestro

Sinestro New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I have been saying this for years. Conmebol and Concacaf talked about it but it all comes down to he gets money and media marketing. Jack Warner is never a help. I question Fifa on why he is still around.. obvious fraud. What better rivalry can you have between NA and SA? Argentina and Brazil have great rivalries with Mexico and USA. That would be the main attraction. I think it would pull more publicity than CA.

13. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    This would give Jack Warner (and his legion of Caribbean votes) control over CONMEBOL too. Regardless the majority of CONCACAF teams wouldn´t improve much by routinely losing 10-0 to Argentina and Brazil. Having the top CONCACAF teams go south as guests for tournaments is still probably the best option.

14. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Conmebol has too much power for that, they would pull the plug if things went that way. So this would have to be a separate committee since it would be joint agreement, one that would hopefully be out of the control of Warner.

Facing Uruguay, Bolivia, Ecuador, etc. would though. Also think that this tournament would be away from Brazil and Argentina not to mention away from SA which means they won't be as strong.

15. La_Celeste

La_Celeste New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    hello just thought id give my two cents , even though some people have said it already , anyways , copa america should only be hosted by south americans :) . but why the hell is japan invited ?? no ofense but there not even part of the americas and i really dont care if you get mad :mad: , its called copa " AMERCIA " for gods sake , stop with the invites to these foreing countries

16. krejik

krejik New Member

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    I'm sorry I would like to ask again.

17. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Looking forward to this one. Just a quick Buquebus ride away since I'm already going to Uruguay

18. Crop Circles Maria

Aug 1, 2005
    Valencia, California
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  19. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    nunca he estado en una copa america me gustaria ir a la de argentina en el 2011. uds saben si en la copa america tambien se le da preferencia al pais local en cuanto a entradas?

20. Piffy187

Piffy187 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    FL
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG this is going to be an "EPIC" COPA AMERICA!!!!!! lol after the world cup i think Argentina/Brazil/Uruguay/Chile/Paraguay are gona come out swinging, Colombia/Bolivia/Peru/Venezuela/Ecuador will have many new faces on their teams mixed with some veterans, Mexico will show some stuff they have alot of good young players, Japan if they send their world cup team dam....Honda is a beast!!

21. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hmm. Not sure if it's going to be that good, i think that expectations were high in the recent editions yet, it has always been more or less the same.

22. Crop Circles Maria

Aug 1, 2005
    Valencia, California
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    He asistido a las Copas Americas de Paraguay 99 y Peru 04. Lo que se hizo en ambas copas fue de que todas las entradas se vendian el dia antes de cada partido en un local patrocinador de la Copa (un banco en Paraguay y una tienda en el Peru). Lo que no se agotaba, se vendia en la boleteria del estadio el dia del partido. Nunca se vendio nada por adelantado ni por la internet. No se si este sera el caso en la Argentina. Asi que a llegar temprano al local para hacer la cola, especialmente el dia antes de los partidos argentinos.

23. JamesthePeach

JamesthePeach New Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this has been mentioned already but the Copa America is no longer the prestige event it used to be. That's the Reality! It's been losing out to the all-against-all S. Am World Cup qualifying, which, naturally, the South Americans see as a bigger priority. The current WC qualifying format is not going to be changed to accommodate the CA because it is both popular and lucrative. This is why going back to a 2 year cycle for the CA is not a viable option because every 2nd tournament is going to conflict in importance with WC qualifying, so teams will either send a B squad or none at all and that will be very damaging to its prestige and long term prospects. This has been the CA's biggest problem in recent years.

The challenge for the CA is to re-establish itself as a prestigious tournament. So what is CONMEBOL to do? It's a really serious frigging problem. Moving it to a 4 year cycle in the year after the WC removes the conflict with WC qualifying, that's a positive first step, but it really needs more. Some of the Concacaf nations who've participated in the tourney have definitely given the event a boost so it is inevitable that we'll be seeing more Concacaf participation. Such participation will offer wider interest and the opportunity for more lucrative sponsorship and TV deals. Ultimately money talks and bullshit walks, so forget all this romantic nonsense about it being just a South American event, the football world and its economic imperatives have changed and so should the Copa America if it is to survive.

Since there's no going back, and we have to go forward I'd love to see 6 teams from Concacaf participate in an expanded Copa America, so you'd have a 16 team field making it a much more workable round robin of groups and knock outs than the present format. Perhaps you'd pick the 6 Concacaf teams from the top 6 WC qualifying, but that's another discussion.

It would also be geographically correct, the US, Canada and Mexico are part of the Americas, indeed South Americans refer to North and South America as "America," so a Copa America that accommodates both would not be out of place at all.

24. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Uff, will this discussion pop up on every damn thread of this forum?

Don't you see the sollution right there guys? Let's add prestige to the competition by adding more crappy teams from the two and a half men confederation, when in reality that'd be doing charity with them and we don't get any benefit...:rolleyes:

25. JamesthePeach

JamesthePeach New Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes you're right we shouldn't add to the South American crappy teams either.